1 2
The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
8/5/16 2:05 p.m.

Thanks. Now I'm searching through MR2s on CL

Some good deals out there giving me impure thoughts.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/16 2:08 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: I do headwork on both.... More potential in the 4AGE....

Oh really?

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/4263/5-Performance-Car-Engines-That-Suck.aspx

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
8/5/16 2:20 p.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote:
Oh really? http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/4263/5-Performance-Car-Engines-That-Suck.aspx

yeah.... all that you got there is clickbait baby.... in the same breath........

the LEGENDARY Hemi.... gets taken down after 5000 rpm! Yes... a top fuel drag engine (8000+hp), get taken apart between runs... a run is less then 5000 TOTAL rpm.... So we are no longer talking about seasons, or weeks, or days, or even hours..... but now we are talking about SECONDS between service

I didn't see the Hemi in there....

and as to performance level.... what is the highest power you have ever seen from the 1.6 Mazda/Ford? Best I know of for a 4AGE is 728hp.... https://youtu.be/lb8taD5wchg

NickD
NickD Dork
8/5/16 3:04 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote:
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote:
Oh really? http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/4263/5-Performance-Car-Engines-That-Suck.aspx
yeah.... all that you got there is clickbait baby.... in the same breath........ the LEGENDARY Hemi.... gets taken down after 5000 rpm! Yes... a top fuel drag engine (8000+hp), get taken apart between runs... a run is less then 5000 TOTAL rpm.... So we are no longer talking about seasons, or weeks, or days, or even hours..... but now we are talking about SECONDS between service I didn't see the Hemi in there.... and as to performance level.... what is the highest power you have ever seen from the 1.6 Mazda/Ford? Best I know of for a 4AGE is 728hp.... https://youtu.be/lb8taD5wchg

I wouldn't call that article "clickbait". If you read through, they had built a full-tilt N/A 4AG and weren't impressed with the results and they explained their choice thoroughly and highlighted all the issues of the engine.

Not the 1.6L, but somebody did make 816hp on a Mazda BP 1.8L from the later Miatas.

Honestly, I don't care for either engine. The Mazda B6ZE and Toyota 4AGE are both pigs in naturally aspirated form and don't respond well to basic bolt ons. The Honda B16 was from the same era and was the same displacement and kicks the E36 M3 out of both of those engines, in stock form and tuned form.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/5/16 3:23 p.m.
Trackmouse wrote: So let's shift this to any non mazdaspeed Miata (excluding the nd) versus any mr2 (non turbo) I just noticed there are zzw30's on c list for LESS than the mk1 aw11! One on there for 3300$!

I used to rip on the 5SFE for its agricultural engine note and redline. That said, a Mk2 non-turbo is a lot of fun to grunt through the gears with that fat torque curve. As far as track build monsters, you can do so much with a Miata, beyond what makes sense for an MR2.

I'm going MR2 all the way for fun to drive in stockish trim. The Mk2 is a very overbuilt car compared to the Mk1. Those suckers are tough. They're also comfy cruisers, with generous interior room, big boy trunk and a frunk. The Mk2 is the Swiss Army Knife of 2-seaters. It could be your only car if you don't have kids.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
8/5/16 3:24 p.m.
NickD wrote: Honestly, I don't care for either engine. The Mazda B6ZE and Toyota 4AGE are both pigs in naturally aspirated form and don't respond well to basic bolt ons. The Honda B16 was from the same era and was the same displacement and kicks the E36 M3 out of both of those engines, in stock form and tuned form.

was all in relation to OP's post of Miata, or AW11... no mention made of a Honda.... and to get a Honda to run either the Miata, or the AW11 will cost you about $15,000 to make it run in the "right" direction.... like this one....

This one was an "attempt" to get the B16 to equal the 4AGE... in the end they made similar power... but the COG of the B16 (much higher) threw off the balance of the Formula Atlantic car

NickD
NickD Dork
8/5/16 3:26 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote:
NickD wrote: Honestly, I don't care for either engine. The Mazda B6ZE and Toyota 4AGE are both pigs in naturally aspirated form and don't respond well to basic bolt ons. The Honda B16 was from the same era and was the same displacement and kicks the E36 M3 out of both of those engines, in stock form and tuned form.
was all in relation to OP's post of Miata, or AW11... no mention made of a Honda.... and to get a Honda to run either the Miata, or the AW11 will cost you about $15,000 to make it run in the "right" direction.... like this one.... This one was an "attempt" to get the B16 to equal the 4AGE... in the end they made similar power... but the COG of the B16 (much higher) threw off the balance of the Formula Atlantic car

I know Honda wasn't in the car comparison, I was just saying that compared to the competition of the era, both engines were not that great.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
8/5/16 4:38 p.m.

You guys know we have moved on right? It's now any non speed Miata versus any mr2 non turbo.

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
8/5/16 9:29 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote:
was all in relation to OP's post of Miata, or AW11... no mention made of a Honda.... and to get a Honda to run either the Miata, or the AW11 will cost you about $15,000 to make it run in the "right" direction.... like this one....

Do you realize that anyone wanting to run a Honda engine in their AW11 would almost certainly use the corresponding Honda transmission, so it wouldn't matter that the engine spins in the "wrong" direction?

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
8/5/16 11:13 p.m.

I've owned both and had both on track; I prefer the Miata, mostly due to what AlfaGuy said "it's the one that makes me happy".

Tom

simontibbett
simontibbett Reader
8/6/16 3:52 p.m.

Hands down Miata.

griffin729
griffin729 HalfDork
8/6/16 10:49 p.m.

But, challenge priced if you can ignore that one line in the add, "It has rust."

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/5691148586.html

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KGgyrwObBaoRQBu9uJw7f6dQJIJwyYYOy0NmBXEXmKkjjs6WrtXkGZoMVVe3HMMA