1 2
CamaroKeith
CamaroKeith Reader
12/24/11 11:25 a.m.

2013 Colorado

I've got a 4cyl / 5spd Tacoma for a daily driver right now and think the truck is a great size. However, I really wish I could combine my truck and the turbo diesel from my girlfriend's 2010 Jetta. Peak torque in her car is nearly the same RPM my truck cruises at 70 mph. I think if you combined the two, I could haul 1000lbs and still get 30mpg on the highway (that's given the fact I can get 25mpg while doing that now). Am I really the only one who hopes they greenlight a Duramax diesel version?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/24/11 11:34 a.m.

You are not alown. I have had my eye on one of these for a while. The f150 has got to big and the s10/rangers are just not enough

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/24/11 11:42 a.m.

I am really surprised that there is no middle ground between the two...

Maybe ford needs to upsize the ranger to what the old f150 was.. and insert a smaller truck that is the size of the original ranger.

Or bring over an Ute

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/24/11 12:21 p.m.

Wait. Shouldn't we be able to buy a Mahindra about now?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
12/24/11 12:24 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

That's what the new Ranger is. But Ford won't let it be sold in the US because it's too close in size with the F150 or some bullE36 M3.

I could care less how big it is, I don't want a full size truck.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
12/24/11 12:26 p.m.

In reply to CamaroKeith:

If they put the Duramax 2.5 in that you can bet I'll be gunning for a new one when the time comes.

I also like the crew cabs more than the ext. cab trucks. I know it sacrifices bed space, but I like the idea of actually having room to seat people (comfortably) if needed.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/24/11 12:28 p.m.

Photobucket

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/24/11 12:31 p.m.
CamaroKeith
CamaroKeith Reader
12/24/11 1:54 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

See I'd go with bed length. I've hauled more than a few motorcycles since buying my truck. They wouldn't fit in the shortie Tacoma bed.

And considering the 2.5L is projected to have more torque than the 5cyl Colorado engine, that could be the right mix of torque & economy.

......I'm with others on this one: full-size trucks have gotten too big! Gimme a nice torquey four cylinder diesel that I can tow my future trailer / FF car, and I am a happy camper

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
12/24/11 2:01 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I am really surprised that there is no middle ground between the two...

You may not have heard of these since they are soo new, but there's this truck called the Dakota. It's sized between the baby trucks and the Big three money-makers. It comes with a real frame and a real engine.

Seriously, did you not know these have existed for about 25 years?

EricM
EricM SuperDork
12/24/11 2:24 p.m.

meh

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
12/24/11 3:38 p.m.

"....there's this truck called the Dakota"...

Apparently you haven't heard? Chrysler stopped building them.

Yesterday I passed a Chrysler/Jeep dealer that had a couple of those Wrangler pickup conversions out in front....they were asking $36K for a small, 6 cylinder powered (albeit 4WD), truck, when I would think a full-size 4WD truck could be nearly the same price after rebates.

I once owned a Ranger, and am thinking of getting another. When CAFE tightens again, I think we will see smaller trucks in the marketplace.

I looked at a '97 F-150 a few years ago, and even tho I'm 6ft 4in with long legs, I couldn't easily get in and out of that truck...and it was 2WD.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
12/24/11 3:55 p.m.
integraguy wrote: Yesterday I passed a Chrysler/Jeep dealer that had a couple of those Wrangler pickup conversions out in front....they were asking $36K for a small, 6 cylinder powered (albeit 4WD), truck, when I would think a full-size 4WD truck could be nearly the same price after rebates.

I was not familiar with this but some googling revels this:
http://www.aev-conversions.com/photos/album3.php
$9k just for the kit!!
https://secure.aev-conversions.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=41003022AA

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
12/24/11 4:35 p.m.

I still just want to be able to buy a "new" Nissan Hardbody, circa 1995 would be good.

plance1
plance1 Dork
12/24/11 5:05 p.m.

new trucks are too big, my 2002 4x4 sport trac is the perfect size, just need to have a newer 6cyl or the latest 5.0 put in it.

a401cj
a401cj GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/24/11 5:12 p.m.

FWIW in Argentina all Ford diesels (even Rangers and 1/2 tons) are labeled "Power Stroke". But they're weird...they still build the F-100

a401cj
12/24/11 5:14 p.m.
CamaroKeith wrote: 2013 Colorado I've got a 4cyl / 5spd Tacoma for a daily driver right now and think the truck is a great size. However, I really wish I could combine my truck and the turbo diesel from my girlfriend's 2010 Jetta. Peak torque in her car is nearly the same RPM my truck cruises at 70 mph. I think if you combined the two, I could haul 1000lbs and still get 30mpg on the highway (that's given the fact I can get 25mpg while doing that now). Am I really the only one who hopes they greenlight a Duramax diesel version?

if the cost spread between diesel and 87 octane regular stays where it is now, you're probably better off $ wise to stick with gas

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
12/24/11 5:17 p.m.

you can still get a 2011 Dakota on the lot. And again, the point was that it is at the size lamented at being not represented.

CamaroKeith
CamaroKeith Reader
12/24/11 7:19 p.m.

In reply to a401cj:

In the winter months, maybe, because the refiners are making #2 heating oil instead of diesel. But I'm betting there will be close to 50% better mileage with a 4cyl diesel over the I5 they have in the Colorados right now. Plus there will be more torque so the driveability should be better.

CamaroKeith
CamaroKeith Reader
12/24/11 7:20 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

The Ranger was actually the only small pick up still produced. Dakota, Colorado / Canyon, Tacoma, Frontier - all classified as mid-size trucks.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/24/11 7:29 p.m.

Wow, do none of you read current automotive news?

Mahindra isn't coming to the US.

The Ranger is D E A D dead.

The new Global Ranger isn't coming to the US.

The Dakota is D E A D dead.

The Nissan Frontier is the only "mid-size" truck left, and it's nearly identical to the Titan.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Dork
12/24/11 7:53 p.m.

Face it boys. We are wrong, wrong, wrong. Everybody wants a truck that requires a step and a handle to get in the box. We need a massive hunk of steel so we won't be injured when we run into something we didn't see. Laws require that we drive a 7000 pound vehicle to tow a dirt bike on a trailer. Fuel economy is for suckers.

We are just a bunch of losers, who have the illusion that our penises are already big enough.

a401cj
12/24/11 7:57 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Face it boys. We are wrong, wrong, wrong. Everybody wants a truck that requires a step and a handle to get in the box. We need a massive hunk of steel so we won't be injured when we run into something we didn't see. Laws require that we drive a 7000 pound vehicle to tow a dirt bike on a trailer. Fuel economy is for suckers. We are just a bunch of losers, who have the illusion that our penises are already big enough.

by god this is merica!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
12/24/11 8:45 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

I knew all of that already.

CamaroKeith
CamaroKeith Reader
12/24/11 8:49 p.m.
Javelin wrote: The Nissan Frontier is the only "mid-size" truck left, and it's nearly identical to the Titan.

I drive a mid-size truck. Its a Tacoma. Well, Toyota likes to think its a compact, but lets be realistic

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3g8fdBu3UZ11iaQfcbQdsrEZ2sn3XSBiabqNAZ9tqYfSO5eFzJs54F2C9MbPv31W