1 2 3
N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
5/2/12 10:38 a.m.

Averaged 18 in my 99 with full K&N kit and dual Flowmasters.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/2/12 10:40 a.m.

20-22 was a good average in mixed driving in mine after the CAI, cat-back, and tune. Best was a 27-28 but typical highway was 25. In town dropped to 17 ish, drag racing was single-digits

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Reader
5/2/12 10:45 a.m.

Was that the k&n typhoon intake?

I'm considering just doing the whole exhaust and intake deal, with a tune, and then getting some new wheels and tires and putting better shocks on the car. Probably all spaced out over a year or so.

My mechanic friend keeps putting bad ideas in my head about finding a wrecked GT or Boss with a Coyote motor and 6-speed and cannibalizing it for parts to make a super CVPI.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
5/2/12 10:52 a.m.

In reply to Racer1ab:

I'd go intake and cherry bombs if I did it again to save cash. She was a sweet car.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
5/2/12 11:27 a.m.

Being an '06 your car already has the smoothe intake tube. I don't know if the K&N kit would net you any gain over a drop-in filter.

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
5/2/12 11:33 a.m.

I wish I could get one to do high 20's mpg. They sure are comfy and make great cruisers, but I need pretty good gas mileage.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/2/12 11:53 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: I wish I could get one to do high 20's mpg. They sure are comfy and make great cruisers, but I need pretty good gas mileage.

For cereal: engine and trans swap. The P71 is saddled by the anemic 4.6 and a 4-speed trans. Throw a double-OD T56 in there with a 5.4 or new 5.0 and all of the good mods and it should cruise nicely. City mileage will still be terrible, but high 20's or maybe even low 30's (depending on tires, ride height, etc) highway would be possible.

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
5/2/12 12:03 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

I've got too many projects already. I'd have to find one that was already done.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
5/2/12 12:30 p.m.

Your car probably has 3.55 gears in it too. My civilian spec Grand Marquis has 2.73's in it IIRC. It gets 25~26 on the highway if I'm not in the loud pedal. It depends on what you want the car to do. First gear carries me all the way to the legal speed limit.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer New Reader
5/2/12 1:08 p.m.

This:

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
5/3/12 6:01 a.m.

In reply to snap_understeer:

Not that.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer New Reader
5/3/12 8:46 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to snap_understeer: Not that.

Let's try this, then:

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
5/3/12 8:51 a.m.

Yes.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
5/3/12 8:52 a.m.

Yes please. That one's packing a V-10 engine, too.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Reader
5/4/12 6:38 p.m.

heck ya!

needs a couple of antenneas on the back trunk though

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
5/4/12 7:48 p.m.

The memories...

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
5/4/12 7:53 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote:

I'm saving this picture for the next time you go Internet is serious business on us.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
5/7/12 10:57 p.m.

In reply to Osterkraut:

Someone needs to keep me in line. Margie will thank you.

failboat
failboat Dork
5/8/12 6:18 a.m.
hrdlydangerous wrote: Your car probably has 3.55 gears in it too. My civilian spec Grand Marquis has 2.73's in it IIRC. It gets 25~26 on the highway if I'm not in the loud pedal. It depends on what you want the car to do. First gear carries me all the way to the legal speed limit.

Haha. When I autocrossed my GrandMarq...I could just lock it in 1st gear and go.

and +1 on the 2.73's fuel economy...best I pulled was 27mpg on one trip. Around town was more like 20 if you drive reasonable.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Reader
5/8/12 12:34 p.m.

Yeah, fuel economy has been a little worse than I expected, basically a constant 20 mpg if I'm good, to 19 mpg if I romp on it a lot. But that's a mixture of mostly city driving and occasional highway running, so that's not too bad.

I may be taking a job in town that I can walk to, so I can stop worrying so much about gas mileage!

I also completed my first "mod" this weekend. I took a bunch of my spare change to a Coinstar machine, and traded it in for an amazon.com credit (no 10 cent per dollar surcharge).

I then bought this locking Jeep console that fits nicely between the front seats, and doesn't even really need to be mounted. I eventually wanna do a couple track days and autocross events in the car, so it'll be nice to just yank out the console if I want.

I'm pretty happy with the car and my new armrest/console right now. Saturday, we're taking the car to it's first drag day for a little bracket racing.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
5/8/12 12:49 p.m.

you should not expect better efficiency than what you're getting.

they're good, but they don't defy physics.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Reader
5/8/12 1:06 p.m.

In reply to belteshazzar:

Ain't that the truth. It reminds me a lot of the first highway trip we took in my dad's 2005 F-250 Super Duty.

On the way up, it was nothing but careful driving at the speed limit, cruise control, and we averaged 14.7 mpg.

On the way home, we started to get grumpy and tired, and were anywhere from 75-90 mph the whole way down the interstate, and averaged...you guessed it... 14.7 mpg.

It's still kind of a running joke between us.

And as another data point, my parents have a 2008 Ford Taurus and it only gets 24 mpg, even with the V-6 and 6-speed auto transmission.

I'm still looking forward to taking this thing on an all-highway run at some point.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/8/12 1:10 p.m.

It has an idle-hour meter? That's cool, I never heard of that. Makes total sense.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
5/8/12 3:05 p.m.

I'd love to do a new Coyote swap with a double OD T56 and 4.30 gears. Mmmmm...

Anti-stance
Anti-stance HalfDork
5/8/12 3:32 p.m.

Damn, I want a P71 now. I has no money right now though. berkeley..

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zMwNaTqmq52OZq5bQXbMxdUlBwxqEemoQzSSJwh8P9P0hsG7nRNAA90rpKU5hOVV