pitbull113
pitbull113 New Reader
11/25/10 4:47 p.m.
RoosterSauce wrote: Try again

That just happened!!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
11/25/10 6:22 p.m.

I've hauled furniture inside a Miata. Unlimited headroom has its perks.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing HalfDork
11/25/10 6:25 p.m.

It's even better with a rollbar. Drop the top, put your item across the bar and the windshield header and strap it down. Works great with 2x4s and sheets of plywood and the guys with the big, penis enlarging pickups are stunned.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Reader
11/25/10 9:55 p.m.

First ex,our 2 year old daughter & I drove into the woods during a heavy snow,cut down decent sized a Christmas tree & took it home in a '64 Corvair convertible many years ago. Had to put the top down.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
11/25/10 10:10 p.m.

Well when it snows and you have to keep the top up, just take the 'vette.

Thats what we do in Pennsylvania at least.

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
11/25/10 10:19 p.m.
Nitroracer wrote: Well when it snows and you have to keep the top up, just take the 'vette. Thats what we do in Pennsylvania at least.

^^ this guy = rocket scientist.

I think I can physically see the vette sliding sideways towards the curb in this photo.....

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/25/10 10:30 p.m.

yeah, it looks a bit crossed up and I think I can see a bit of a snow rooster tail from the right rear.

thanks guys, I could previously say "dude, it's a Miata, you have to pack carefully to carry a postage stamp" and my buddy needing me to haul stuff would believe me. now I have to come up with some other excuse to keep from turning my Miata into a work truck

Luke
Luke SuperDork
11/25/10 10:40 p.m.

Impractical cars doing practical things = cool. As is the OP's AE86 .

Rustspecs13
Rustspecs13 New Reader
11/25/10 11:52 p.m.

I used my 240sx to pull a post out of my friends yard last week. That was fun.

Tomorrow me and a friend are picking up an engine for his 240sx, and we are taking mine.

Hatchbacks FTW

~Alex

pigeon
pigeon Dork
11/26/10 12:01 a.m.
Nitroracer wrote: Well when it snows and you have to keep the top up,

Why does snow = top up? I commuted all winter several (ok, 10) years ago in my Miata, top down every day except the very coldest, in Buffalo. I think there's a small chunk of nuclear material used to power the heater on first gen Miatae - that car blasted heat out like crazy.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
11/26/10 12:27 a.m.
irish44j wrote:
Nitroracer wrote: Well when it snows and you have to keep the top up, just take the 'vette. Thats what we do in Pennsylvania at least.
^^ this guy = rocket scientist. I think I can physically see the vette sliding sideways towards the curb in this photo.....

Pshaw! I had a 2nd Gen RX-7 for 2 years in Nebraska. You just learn to drive sideways

willy19592
willy19592 Reader
11/26/10 7:25 a.m.

I really like that picture!

wbjones
wbjones Dork
11/26/10 8:15 a.m.

GM should try to find this person and make a deal with them to use this pic in some kind of advertisement

DavidinDurango
DavidinDurango New Reader
11/26/10 8:16 a.m.

Miata is not always the answer: 1) no heat in single digit weather; 2) at the Texas mile, your Miata is 105 mph SLOWER than the fast cars. One hundred 5ive! (1800hp Gallardo is the answer here.)

7pilot
7pilot New Reader
11/26/10 8:16 a.m.
Mental wrote:
irish44j wrote:
^^ this guy = rocket scientist. I think I can physically see the vette sliding sideways towards the curb in this photo.....
Pshaw! I had a 2nd Gen RX-7 for 2 years in Nebraska. You just learn to drive sideways

A long time ago,I went by a state Trooper coming in the opposite direction on a dual carriageway. A couple of inches of snow on the road. I was single, 26 and was doing 88mph in an 85 GSL-SE on BFG comp T/A s. He did not even bother, and I had been doing that for 12 miles. Never again.

m

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/26/10 8:26 a.m.

Actually, I did learn one VERY good reason NA Miata's suck in winter... The stupid little metal door handles freeze shut. Also, the open diff sucks. Anybody have a VLSD?

motomoron
motomoron HalfDork
11/26/10 9:22 a.m.

The VLSD has a higher lockup percentage in the cold, too, right?

I'm looking forward to a winter of Miata-ing 'soon as I get something with a bit more grip on than the ancient, bald RT615s it came with.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Reader
11/26/10 10:06 a.m.

I drove my miata one winter. It was great fun. I put tall skinny Cooper snow tires on it. It would pull away from most SUVs when there was a few inces of snow on the ground. At around 6-8 inches of snow it did become more difficult to get around. I only got stuck once, a dually pick up blasted past me in 3 inches of slush and proceeded to fishtail and go all over the road. I took to the shoulder and got sucked into the snow bank. It took 2 guys to push it out.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/26/10 10:54 a.m.

Pumpkin Escobar
Pumpkin Escobar SuperDork
11/26/10 12:00 p.m.

As much as Miata is the answer, AE86>MX5

...Im Just Sayin

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h7gv31UCNpgRfAHnZf0XrynfvkARPONjaowU5iCQLNmtXeDjMjSiEpEhClyeJ9xi