1 2 3
docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
1/27/24 8:20 a.m.

Well, Land Cruiser is sold.  Decided it was best to cash out of it.  So now I need a new daily driver.  Something that can handle weather and I can take skiing, hold the family and my dog.

I tend to like station wagons, so a 17+ Audi A4 allroad is on my list.  A car broker friend has a E91 BMW 328ix 6MT wagon that seems like it could be good, but asking price seems high at $15k and with 140k miles on it I'm not sure how reliable it'll be.  I'm open to SUV's, if I could find a 100 series or V8 4Runner with under 150k miles on it I'd consider it.  Maybe an Audi SQ5?  I'd love a B7 RS4 but I'm worried that parts supply and run costs on that car, especially as a daily could be more than I care to take on.

Budget is no more than $30k, what else should I be looking at?

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
1/27/24 8:43 a.m.

It's not anything very interesting or exciting, but we love our Grand Cherokee Trailhawk.  It's just a great all-rounder; as comfortable at 80mph on the highway as it is crawling up a desert trail.  Haven't had it in snow much, but it's been fine when we have.  You should be able to find a fairly new one in your budget.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
1/27/24 8:55 a.m.

Just as food for thought, an E91 wagon with a six-speed is pretty close to a unicorn. If it's got records and has a decent history it's probably worth the high price, if only because its rarity means it won't depreciate a lot. Hell, if it was RWD I'd be tempted to replace my E82 128i with it.

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
1/27/24 9:28 a.m.

We really like our E400 wagon, and it would be great at use as you describe.  All wheel drive, turbo v6 would be great at altitude, plenty of room for 4 and a dog, spectacular interior, very comfortable, and ours has been trouble free, now at 75k miles. Look for a 2017 or 2018, should be in your price range.  

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
1/27/24 6:48 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

Going to send you a message, would like to talk to you about N52 stuff and this wagon...

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
1/27/24 6:49 p.m.

In reply to Sonic :

That's a sharp looking ride!  Will need to look into them, do you work on it yourself?

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
1/27/24 6:53 p.m.

So my good friend has an 18 a4 allroad and let me drive it just now.  Very nice car, white with the cocoa interior, which looks great.  The tech in the car is impressive, it's the "prestige" package, so it has everything.  Heads up display, super cool digital dash, factory Nav, wired CarPlay, heated/cooled seats, etc, etc, etc.  It's been dead nuts reliable for him.  DSG transmission shifts fast and smoothly, taking off from a stop it had a bit of hesitation.  Couldn't tell if it was trans, or turbo lag, or ECU's trying to figure out what I wanted.  Otherwise power was quite nice, felt peppy. 

Plenty of leg room space, I could comfortably sit behind myself.  The car itself is kinda narrow though, the dog and my son are going to be good friends in the back seat.  The cargo area is generous in length and width, but the hatch slopes down quite severely, which limits cargo capacity if you need to carry something large and square.

It was a really nice car.  I need to drive that BMW wagon just to see how it feels with the 6MT, although I know it has nowhere near the tech of this allroad and won't feel as powerful since it's not a turbo motor and I live at altitude.  I also may drive a RS4 sedan tomorrow.  That car kinda is making me pause tho, apparently parts supply is not great anymore, plus they have the ability to generate eye watering service bills....

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/28/24 12:26 a.m.

In reply to Docwyte :

Wow. Surprised you sold the elephant. 

In reply to 02Pilot :

Would like to be on the list when you sell that 128i. 

tr8todd
tr8todd SuperDork
1/28/24 6:52 a.m.

How about the newest lowest mileage Lexus SUV you can find in your budget.  Toyota with a little more luxury items.  Same Toyota reliability.  My daughter loves the RX350 I picked up for her.  A customer of mine was trading it in, and the dealership low balled them.  I swooped in with cash and got it for $200 over the low ball offer.  So far its been a give it to a college kid, change the oil every semester and forget about it.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
1/28/24 7:20 a.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

Noted, but don't hold your breath. I plan to keep that car for a long time, barring an opportunity for a replacement that I just can't pass up.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/28/24 8:05 a.m.

wow, can't believe thtat you sold the land cruiser- just because the prices went up? 

I have a family member with that allroad and it feels smaller inside than it does outside- that would be tough to transition to after the LC.  

I'm currently looking at Cayenne's-but I'll miss all the storage space of large toyota's (I had a sequoia).  Best of luck with your search! My dad did just buy a new holdover 23 4runner on the lot with the 4.0v6 for $41,000.  Seems to be a pretty good deal for that car and the 4.0 is a known quantity even if it's a little wheezy to me.  

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/28/24 9:13 a.m.

Saw the new Lexus GX at a car show this week. Looks like a great car with MSRP that is a lot less than you paid for the Cruiser. 

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
1/28/24 10:11 a.m.

I didn't want to sell the Land Cruiser, truth be told.  There was absolutely nothing wrong with it, other than its incredible appetite for gasoline.  It easily would've gone another 80k miles on just oil, gas and brakes.  However other circumstance came into play and I had to sell it, oh well.

So I've discovered that Audi made an A6 wagon with the 3l supercharged S4 motor from 2009-2011.  I'd really like to have one of those, it'd be like a larger S4 wagon, which of course, Audi never imported here.  Of course I missed out on a low mileage one locally, literally sold days before I got paid for the Land Cruiser.  Doh!  So if you guys know of one of those for sale, let me know.

One thing about my friends A4 allroad, is that it's just a "meh" car.  It does the mission of moving you and your stuff around no problem, but like all modern VW/Audi's, it has NO steering feel and just doesn't really give any feedback.  It's also going to depreciate like a rock going forward.  My feeling is that BMW wagon I'm going to look at is a much more "old school" car as far as feedback goes, it has a real hydraulic steering rack, NA motor, 6MT, etc.  I'll have to see how it feels to drive. 

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
1/28/24 10:45 a.m.
docwyte said:

In reply to Sonic :

That's a sharp looking ride!  Will need to look into them, do you work on it yourself?

Yes, the limited work it has needed.  It is logically put together and easy to work on so far, all just maintaince.  It's great to drive too, from super relaxing with massaging seats and lane keeping active cruise control that will do stop and go traffic even, or in Sport+ it is quite snappy and responsive, 333hp, but it also reliably gets 28mpg highway, 25 mixed. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/24 1:06 p.m.

Volvo V90?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/24 1:08 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I came here to also suggest to check whatever Volvo has on offer.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
1/28/24 1:22 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Don't know anything about them.  What's the deal on them?  Reliable?  What motor?

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/28/24 3:48 p.m.

My neighbor mentioned yesterday that he wants to sell his Cayenne.  I don't know anything about it specifically other than it looks badass.  I can ask him about it if you want.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
1/28/24 4:00 p.m.

Wiffee is really enjoying the 22 Lexus GX460.  Does all the things, has the space, has enough pep out of the v8.  Haven't towed with it yet but plan to drag rabbit to some races so will be in the near future.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
1/28/24 4:04 p.m.

I was looking at a gx460 for my wife as well but she can't get past the side opening rear barn door. 

How has the rear door been in actual use?

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
1/28/24 4:14 p.m.

We had a GX470 for many years.  I HATED that rear barn door.  I'd rather buy an older 4Runner V8 instead.  Same as the GX but with a normal hatchback with retracting rear window.

Is that Cayenne a turbo?

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
1/28/24 4:48 p.m.

Not sure.  I will ask him the details.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/28/24 5:36 p.m.

Surprised you sold the LC. 

Anyways, my 2c on the e91. Its was overpriced at that mileage. 

N52 is a very nice engine. Check for lifter noise, especially on start up. Also ask when the water pump was changed. Otherwise its pretty solid, other than common leaks at that mileage. 
You can get a good hp bump by changing to the X3 intake (2007-2010). I bought a 2008 x3 in Seattle and drove it back to florida, it had plenty of power all the way on the 12k passes, its rated at ~270hp. 
Makes sure there are no weird noises when shifting, clunks and such. Also during on/off throttle in gear. There is an output shaft from the transmission to the transaxle that develops slop. Its not that expensive and the transaxle is not that much work to remove, but its a hassle. 

My wife has a 2014 F31 diesel wagon, I believe its slightly longer than the e91, its not that big of a car. 

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
1/28/24 5:52 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

I didn't want to sell the LC.  

In checking sales of 6MT E91 wagons on BaT and Cars and Bids, the asking price is in line, even with the mileage.  I'll definitely try to get it for less though.  Seller is well in touch with unicorn BMW values though, so there's probably not much wiggle room there.

If I get it, I definitely will do the intake manifold, that's too much HP to leave on the table.  Especially when it's an OEM+ upgrade

Welly
Welly New Reader
1/28/24 8:04 p.m.

This may or may not be right up your alley. Looks to be in great shape and well sorted. Not a wagon as the link says. And it's in Canuck bucks.

https://www.mclarentoronto.ca/inventory/used-2003-audi-rs6-rs6-all-wheel-drive-wagon-wuapv54b03n905373/

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pRZAcXu8XS7xOaA6TrvtT35TOF3pylUjDRqQSK16hekL27vJjoZYn02Kfi7P3dfz