1 2
WizardDog
WizardDog New Reader
5/1/15 12:11 a.m.

So I currently own a '79 450SL, which my dad bought in the late 80's. Been with us ever since. I guess it is both of ours now, but he said it was mine when I was 10 years old, and I'm holding him to that.

Problem is, it doesn't really get driven much. I love the car and I enjoy driving it, but its not exactly MY type of car. If I could have 3 cars, I would probably keep it. But as a second car to my Abarth, it just doesn't make a ton of sense. So I tried to sell it last summer, and didn't get much interest. I am going to throw it back up on the list of Craig's soon.

And to my question: I've always had a desire to do something perverse to an R107 or preferably, a C107 SLC. I'm just not sure of the feasibility of turning it into a fun-to-drive, quick car. That can turn. So, any info on potential motor swaps and suspension solutions would be appreciated. I remember seeing some info on ford 302 swaps a while back, but can't remember where.

This is all basically a pipe dream, with a low chance of coming to fruition. I assume it would take lots of fabrication skills, which I have neither the tools nor talent for. But I'd love to learn. So anyone have any ideas, or want to help me make this happen?

Picture for inspiration:

morecowbell
morecowbell New Reader
5/1/15 12:45 a.m.

In my 190e I had to switch the steering from a box to a rack - not just me but anyone putting a v8 in a 190e has to do this - and so it may be the same in a 450sl as well? That was probably the most tricky/fabrication intensive part of my swap.

yupididit
yupididit Reader
5/1/15 1:45 a.m.

Trans tunnel is tiny in those cars. That's a documented swap thread on ozbenz.net.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/1/15 5:43 a.m.

Details & price on the car?

WizardDog
WizardDog New Reader
5/1/15 12:19 p.m.

In reply to petegossett:

Here is my craigslist ad: http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/5005050660.html

Prices for these things are all over the place, so I don't know what a "fair" price is. I have a number in my head that I would let it go to a GRM'er for, though.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/1/15 2:39 p.m.

my only comment is Damn, that's a baller-ass driveway / garage setup!

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/1/15 3:05 p.m.

I approve of this idea:

WizardDog
WizardDog New Reader
5/1/15 4:08 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

WizardDog
WizardDog New Reader
5/1/15 4:09 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair:

Yeah, it's my parents place. I maintain the detached single as my storage and soon-to-be workshop though. I don't have a garage of my own.

DanyloS
DanyloS Reader
5/1/15 5:52 p.m.

Maybe not the easiest swap but putting it out there GM Atlas straight six out of a trailblazer/envoy might be fun

WizardDog
WizardDog New Reader
5/1/15 7:08 p.m.

In reply to DanyloS:

That would be interesting; those are pretty torquey right? Might be a bit too long though. An Audi AAN, like the one from my old UrS4 would be awesome.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
5/1/15 7:10 p.m.
WizardDog wrote: So I currently own a '79 450SL, which my dad bought in the late 80's. Been with us ever since. I guess it is both of ours now, but he said it was mine when I was 10 years old, and I'm holding him to that. Problem is, it doesn't really get driven much. I love the car and I enjoy driving it, but its not exactly MY type of car. If I could have 3 cars, I would probably keep it. But as a second car to my Abarth, it just doesn't make a ton of sense. So I tried to sell it last summer, and didn't get much interest. I am going to throw it back up on the list of Craig's soon. And to my question: I've always had a desire to do something perverse to an R107 or preferably, a C107 SLC. I'm just not sure of the feasibility of turning it into a fun-to-drive, quick car. That can turn. So, any info on potential motor swaps and suspension solutions would be appreciated. I remember seeing some info on ford 302 swaps a while back, but can't remember where. This is all basically a pipe dream, with a low chance of coming to fruition. I assume it would take lots of fabrication skills, which I have neither the tools nor talent for. But I'd love to learn. So anyone have any ideas, or want to help me make this happen? Picture for inspiration:

Remember sbcs & sbfs are just like belly buttons. You have something truly special. Why make it like all the other tens of thousands of hot rods?

WizardDog
WizardDog New Reader
5/1/15 7:23 p.m.

In reply to Rupert:

That's true. I wouldn't cut up my 450, its in too good of condition and all original. This was originally an exercise in imagination for a junked SLC, which can be had non-running for very little, and would be very expensive to bring back up to OEM specs.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/1/15 11:03 p.m.

How many unique swaps never got finished, or worse, scrapped, because the swap stalled? Hit the easy button if you intend on driving this thing.

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
5/2/15 3:15 a.m.

A Mercedes American v8 swap sounds more likely to turn into someone wildly hacking away with a plasma cutter until the car couldn't ever be put back to stock then scrapping it. There are many cool Mercedes engines, what about an om606 diesel? That would actually be a pretty cool car. Slcs are pretty worthless though, they seem to mostly just get scrapped now rather than offered for sale. A decent sl seems to actually sell in the $4k range, perfect ones can be more though.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
5/2/15 3:17 p.m.

I think I saw a 302 swap. Get over on benzworld r107 forum. I'd probably just get the car up and running right before planning a swap. Is the m113 a slouch, never heard of anyone call them slow before. The hot ticket would be to get the 1973-75 d-jet intake, then megasquirt it. Throw a new time chain and guide on it. There is a guy who is grinding performance cams for the m113, ain't cheap though. Check for rust before you do anything, the undercoat is like .25" thick and holds moisture and will go rot.

Why not just run the damn car as is? Use the transmission shift. As is these car will outrun many modern cars, the 450slc should be geared to about 140mph, get some v-rated 205/70/14 and good to go.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
5/2/15 3:29 p.m.

Where are all these cheap non-running SLCs you speak of?

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
5/2/15 3:34 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: Where are all these cheap non-running SLCs you speak of?

Well crap.

Hopefully not cheap. Wanted one since I rode in my uncle's grey market 450 back in 1989 or so. It made a big impression on my 15 year old self.

WizardDog
WizardDog New Reader
5/2/15 3:58 p.m.

The M113 isn't a slouch, but the gearing on that auto really take some of the fun out of it. It is definitely quick enough to be entertaining, and as I said before, I wouldn't hack up my current SL. An SLC with some minor motor work and a more engaging transmission would be a blast though. I've always liked my Merc, and others of the era, I guess I was just thinking "out loud" on the forum.

If I do keep the SL, I will look into some electric fans, and maybe megasquirt. That coud be fun. Anyone have any idea on a decent selling price for these? They seem to be all over the place. I know my current price is high, but may as well start there. As i said, this has pretty much always been a desert car, so no rust whatsoever.

WizardDog
WizardDog New Reader
5/2/15 3:59 p.m.

In reply to Junkyard_Dog:

That thing is clean! You need to buy that right now.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/15 4:18 p.m.
Rupert wrote: Remember sbcs & sbfs are just like belly buttons. You have something truly special. Why make it like all the other tens of thousands of hot rods?

Well, there's also a reason we all have bellybuttons. Sometimes it's good to go with something that works.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
5/4/15 7:48 a.m.

Manual transmission conversion with the stock engine would probably go a long way towards making it more fun...but I have no idea what manual, if any, bolt up to those old Mercedes V8s. The only factory stick applications were in Europe, iirc.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
5/4/15 8:53 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Well, there's also a reason we all have bellybuttons. Sometimes it's good to go with something that works.

Yep! I swapped an LS motor into my '72 pickup because I didn't want to be original - I wanted a modern engine that was already proven with plenty of information on what parts to use and how to make it work.

It did cross my mind to try putting a Jaguar V12 in there, but that would have taken a lot more time and fabrication.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/4/15 9:04 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Rupert wrote: Remember sbcs & sbfs are just like belly buttons. You have something truly special. Why make it like all the other tens of thousands of hot rods?
Well, there's also a reason we all have bellybuttons. Sometimes it's good to go with something that works.

I'm struggling to come up with any things that my bellybutton does for me.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/15 9:10 a.m.

It was pretty important for you for a while there

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RS0ZzTojONW6K2vhSbyHrsmubqqaZ75tdhGinIGXhdWnvDcxBkyleBGFeQSzaVfP