J Block
J Block New Reader
6/13/12 11:50 a.m.

Just curious, how many folks here have a son (or daughter) they are helping to race? If so how old are they?

I got into racing because of my dad. The reason I ask these question is I'm trying to understand kids now days. I've got 3 grandsons and the couldn't care less about motorsports. So is it modern culture offers too many other activities?

sporqster
sporqster New Reader
6/13/12 12:31 p.m.

Mine is 3, and he is a hardcore gear head for a 3-year-old. He knows what way to turn a wrench and a screw driver and knows the names of everything in a basic tool kit. He has been known to disassemble things - like the backup light assembly on my truck.

Everything is a race for him. So far he has a pretty impressive slot car set in the playroom that he can navigate pretty well, but I'm thinking he's going to likely have a Jr Kart in about 4 years. And as long as his heart is really in it, I'll do what I can to support him. If he's not in to it by then, I'll just show up for the soccer games like all the 'normal' dads.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Reader
6/13/12 12:44 p.m.

Dad wasn't at all keen on the idea of my brother and I racing when we were younger. He's not keen on it NOW (I'm 22, brother is 19). Both got into cars in our early teens. Early automotive adventures were parent sponsored, but racing would have resulted in lost sponsorship. We've just reached the point in our respective lives that we have sufficient time and capital that we don't need their sponsorship.

Do what you can to pry them away from the TV/computer/video games and outside to the garage/garden/soccer practice/whatever. They'll be healthier physically and mentally as a result, and will be grateful for the experiences later in life. If they're not into cars and racing, find something they are into, and be supportive.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
6/13/12 12:53 p.m.

Recently had the debate with the wife about racing. I had showed her the article where the kid was killed at the circle track. Her reply was "I'd still rather have him racing, There's less long term damage than football, hockey, etc." She has joint issues, and so do I, both hereditary. Our kid is HOSED. On the plus side, that's a green light for me to get him behind the wheel ASAP. Now if he'd master that whole walking thing.....

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
6/13/12 1:11 p.m.

In reply to J Block:

I don't know if I qualify for answering this post, but my kids of done some stuff. First, they got their first go kart when they were 6 (twins). We then got a second kart and they raced a lot around our property, but that wasn't official racing. When they were 13 they started autocrossing a sprint kart in SCCA Formula Jr. They did that until last year, where they finished the regional season 1-2 in points. They're 17 now, and this year started autocrossing their CRX in STS. They did run their sprint kart on a kart track a few times during open practice sessions, but never raced side by side. I do know what you mean about kids. I think mine are an exception, and none of their friends understand the appeal of what they do. My motivation all along was to give them skills that could save their lives, and so far it's worked out great. No tickets, no accidents, and they've never given me even a hint to suggest I shouldn't trust them on the road, so I'm happy. Oh, and they're pretty good autocrossers too!!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
6/13/12 1:17 p.m.

"Occasionally"

My oldest was really into it for a little while - the younger guy just likes to rip around. Baseball, swimming, football and soccer have taken over. We go run at OVRP every once in a while just for giggles but no points chase or anything.

It leaves more $ for me to race with :)

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
6/13/12 2:07 p.m.

My kids are starting autocross. My son has done it for a year, since he got his lerner's permit at 15. Got his full on license last week and was at an event this last weekend. Finally got to drive by himself. Having a blast.

A friend offered my daughter a co-drive in a Jr. Kart with his daughter, so she's having fun too. 12 years old. She loves it and has the best attitude I've ever seen. She wants to do well and go faster, but doesn't get at all worked up about it. Came in from her first run and said "I think I DNF'd. I forgot that there was a slalom until I passed the second cone." I told her she had three more runs to get it right. She got it right on run two and three. Then I told her that it would probably be faster if she entered the slalom on the other side, but she could do whatever she wanted to do. We looked at the map and said "Ah, yeah, I see". Got her best time on run four and had a happy day! Good stuff.

jmc14
jmc14 New Reader
6/13/12 2:34 p.m.

My son started racing full cage go karts when he was 10. He was very successful. Switched to 500cc motorcycle powered dirt Sprint Cars at 13. Again was very successful.
At 14 switched to 600cc motorcycle powered (very fast) dirt Sprint Cars for a gentleman that saw him driving the 500cc car. He won 3 different championships in his first season. (I loved not having to own a car and just had to bring my son to the track to race.) Raced these cars until 15 then had to take a season off for family medical reasons.
Now at 17 he is racing full size asphalt stock cars. Again, he is very successful at it.

He is addicted to racing. From the start he has been taught to be respectful of equipment and other competitors. I will not work on the car unless he is there with me. It has been a great relationship building activity do do together.

I have made sure that he only races in the safest possible cars and has all of the best safety equipment. I even made him wear a HANS in the go kart. (full containment seat and roll cage)

Going out to the garage right now to work on the Stock Car. Getting ready for Friday nights race.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
6/13/12 2:42 p.m.

Mine's a little young, but so far he's shown a lot of interest in things like hotwheels and ride-on toys and he FLIPS out when you try to pull him away from sitting in the driver's seat of any of our rigs.

I figure I'll keep putting the opportunity in front of him, and hopefully he'll keep taking it. There's a decent electric kart track here in town, and Sears Point is a quick jaunt when he gets older.

The thought right now is that the only thing he HAS to do is get his license as soon as he's able, and I'll help him out with auto expenses so long as he does AX. 'course, that's at least a decade away, so who knows what will change between then and now.

Jaynen
Jaynen New Reader
6/13/12 2:49 p.m.

I'm hoping my daughter will be. She loves cars, loves making me play forza. But right now my RC car and my motorcycle when running freaks her out a bit. Dont want to scare her off by trying anything too soon (shes 2)

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/13/12 2:52 p.m.

My 12YO son was the scourge of local indoor kart tracks and we were all set to get him a 100CC Yamaha race Kart, but he got bummed out by the fact that none of his friends were into it as much as he was. After further thought, he decided to get into motorcycles instead because he had friends and family who did it - even though its more dangerous. For a dirt bike, I talked him into building skills on a trials bike before he embraced motocross.

I think that a good indoor kart track may be the best way to get a kid on board motorsports. The standard model around here is roughly equivalent to what's known as a "clone kart" and very safe while fast enough to not just be "kid stuff". My son was grinning from ear-to-ear recently after beating 13 other racers between the ages of 14 and 40.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
6/13/12 3:23 p.m.

Both my parents raced, my uncle did too in San Diego and owns a shop there. Mom and dad had matching Corvettes (67 & 69 Stingrays, both manual) and also raced 240 Z's. Did rallycross and all that stuff. All this was before ol' Brian came about. Once I was born, they got rid of all that crap. Got divorced later (when I was 5) and dad was quickly out of the picture. If he'd have stuck around, I'm sure I'd be far more involved than I am now. Also probably wouldn't be in Texas either... Oh well, worked out for the best I guess...

kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
6/13/12 3:28 p.m.

My 10 year old autocrosses with me, at least when other sports don't interfere. Our club allows kids as passengers as long as they have a properly fitted helmet. He gives me his opinion on race line choices before the runs and the "cone report" after. At this age, his favorite part is just going fast in the car and the standing bet that if I spin or slide the car to the point of a DNF, I have to buy him a giant sized slurpee on the way home.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W6T8Ep0BAQbP317H72bLEPhLhnl7Dr9ZWnxPgXhp4sDcRsIhFv6WIRQwuMH5yKG3