1 2
belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
12/27/08 1:08 p.m.

on first glance it looks lightly equiped, 4x4, and best of all $400. some rust, but very little for around here. anything to watch for as I inspect?

DrBoost
DrBoost Reader
12/27/08 1:57 p.m.

Rust, that's the only real thing. The frame rails rust out in the rear, from about the rear doors back (especially around the gas tank). The power rear windows fail commonly but for $400, you can't go wrong. Of all the Jeeps I've had, the Waggy was the best in the snow, by far.

randyvr6
randyvr6 New Reader
12/27/08 2:26 p.m.

Not saying yours is in this class, but super nice low mileage or refurbished ones go for big money in Hemmings. There are several dealers selling them for well over 20K believe it or not! Check out the links to see what these things can go for. I was shocked.

http://www.wagoneerworld.com/premier_jeep_inventory.php

http://www.wagonmaster.com/complete.htm

sachilles
sachilles Reader
12/27/08 2:52 p.m.

At $400, if there isn't a ton of rust, I'd gladly take it. They can be made very capable.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/27/08 2:53 p.m.

Waggy's are the best truck/SUV/tow rig/off roader, period. AMC V8's rock and if it's a 401 you can sell the motor for huge $$$ (factory forged crank and rods). 360's are stout motors and 727 Auto trans are some of the best. Rust and power window parts are the only real problems.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
12/27/08 4:39 p.m.

compared to a wagoneer a Land Rover is fuel efficient. DUMP the computer controlled carb if you know what is good for you.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
12/27/08 5:44 p.m.

I was gonna say, they're good for frequent fill up visits. and rust

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt New Reader
12/27/08 5:51 p.m.

How big you planning to go on tires?

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
12/27/08 6:09 p.m.

hmmm. apparently I spoke too soon about it being a wagoneer, just a cherokee.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt New Reader
12/27/08 6:15 p.m.

It's still an FSJ, just an SJ. What are your plans for it?

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
12/27/08 8:09 p.m.

My 85 J-10 had MPG in the teens-barely A "lifter tick" could be flat cam lobes like mine had. Not a terrible job if you're upgrading anyway but cast iron intakes and multiple V-belt brackets on 70s/80s smog machines suck balls. Not that narrow tracks are all that bad, but for looks alone its wide track FTW.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro New Reader
12/27/08 11:12 p.m.

My wide track FSJ:

Buy it, you'll love it.

The lifter tick could just be a leaking exhaust gasket like mine. That's probably because mine has a Buick V8 (pre AMC Jeep).

Shawn

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
12/28/08 6:52 a.m.

Cherokee = 2 door Wagoneer. If it's a stick, it probably has a 258 six, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Gas mileage is abysmal no matter what. A modern carb and headers may help get it into the tolerable range. They are really heavy, and were still built from thick steel up to the end.

minimac
minimac Dork
12/28/08 6:57 a.m.

Back in the early/mid 80s, all Mrs Mini drove were Grand Wagoneers. We had an 80(limited) 83, and an 87. The kids were little and they were the bomb for traveling. Absolute tanks,unstoppable and although it didn't matter at the time, mileage was between 16-18mpg highway and 14-15 city. Poor fit and finish quality, but an absolute joy for winter commuting and great in the woods to get to the camp. I did have to replace the timing chain on the 80, but it was easy.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
12/28/08 7:57 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: My wide track FSJ: Buy it, you'll love it. The lifter tick could just be a leaking exhaust gasket like mine. That's probably because mine has a Buick V8 (pre AMC Jeep). Shawn

that is a pimp kaiser. I had a kaiser cj5 and miss it dearly....

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
12/28/08 10:15 a.m.

In the early years of the Mordern 4cyl/6cyl Mini-Jeeps which started in 1984, the high end version was named the Wagoneer. It namesake, the V8 version, was renamed the Grand Wagoneer at that time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Wagoneer

If it is an '80 Cherokee then it is the two door version of the Grand Wagoneer and is still the big-Jeep style.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Cherokee_(SJ)

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro New Reader
12/28/08 11:38 a.m.

The trucks were called Gladiators before AMC got hold of them and changed the name to J-series trucks.

Mine's a 3/4 ton Kaiser Jeep Gladiator (J2000). It's got a Buick 350 (P/O blew the Kaiser 327 so it's got a motor from a 1970), Borg-Warner T-98 wide-range transmission with PTO, Dana 20 transfer case, Dana 53 rear axle, closed knuckle Dana 44 front axle, Warn premium hubs and a Warn 8274 winch with an upgraded -50 motor and dual batteries.

These trucks come VERY well equipped right from the factory. The only thing I changed were the hubs and winch.

Shawn

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
12/28/08 1:06 p.m.

is there any easy way to tell a wide track from another? a non-jeep guy like me might think anything looked wide.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
12/28/08 2:28 p.m.

sorry for all the misinfo..... I finally went and saw in person. its a '79, 4-dr, 360, quadratrac, with a th400 WAGONEER. good not great bfg's. tan & brown exterior, no wood. very plain imo. nobody was there to start it for me.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
12/28/08 3:09 p.m.

Make sure the quadratrac is good as they got a bad rep from not being maintaned properly. Don't see much of a downside for $400, but then wouldn't $300 be even better?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro New Reader
12/28/08 3:54 p.m.

I'd take it.

I want one to haul a vintage travel trailer with.

Shawn

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
12/28/08 10:08 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: Make sure the quadratrac is good as they got a bad rep from not being maintaned properly. Don't see much of a downside for $400, but then wouldn't $300 be even better?

From what I'm reading, this early (73-79) quadra-trac is completely different from the ones in the 80's and newer. It's an aluminum borg warner unit, some sources talk about being fairly good, and only dragged down by later model's reputation.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
12/28/08 10:13 p.m.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro New Reader
12/28/08 10:28 p.m.

From the looks of that pic it has very little / no rust compared to most of the ones around here!

Not a bad race car hauler / parts chaser.

IIRC Quadra-Trac cases are chain driven so you might want to check for chain stretch. I know very little about Q/T t-cases though so I could be wrong. All of my experience is with Jeep/Scout/Bronco Dana transfer cases.

Shawn

P.S. More info here: http://www.ifsja.org/

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
12/29/08 2:28 a.m.

is there any reason to NOT want an 80 wagoneer?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Dx4aL2vm1GEGHt0Sld0NiW7yIn5KQRz3VzbvTyAB8HqGpm45fdvp2slEnkN8R5kx