Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/6/24 8:02 p.m.

Just considering some wildcard options for a next car, and I remembered that the Elantra GT Sport/N-Line was a thing.

I recall driving one a few years ago and enjoyed it, but does anyone here have any ownership experience?

What did you like/didn't like about it? Any issues with the dual-clutch gearbox? Anything else I should know?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/6/24 8:03 p.m.

paging failboat- failboat to the white courtesy phone

Colin Wood
6/7/24 8:34 a.m.

Just giving this a bump because I think 8:00 p.m. wasn't an ideal time to post.

dannyp84
dannyp84 HalfDork
6/7/24 9:33 a.m.

I saw one of these during my bicycle ride last night and thought they looked a bit lower and sharper than most hatchbacks which have become too tall and upright. If it had a kammtail like a 1st gen Scirocco it would look even better..

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
6/7/24 10:03 a.m.

Weren't these the ones that had like undefeatable stability control so they weren't very compelling as a performance car?

Colin Wood
6/7/24 10:13 a.m.

In reply to red_stapler :

I'm not sure, but that's certainly good to know if true.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/7/24 10:32 a.m.

I think one of the GRM peeps drove and did a quick review of one a while back and said it was a nice car but the DCT was terrible to drive?

Edit: found the review, it was actually for the platform-mate Kia Forte5 SX with the same drivetrain, so feedback should apply https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new-cars/2017-176-forte5-sx/

IIRC this generation of Hyundai DCTs also had Big Problems and there was talk of a class action suit at one point.

All that said, I always liked these and wanted one with a 6-speed. Frankly, I wish we got the N version of these instead of the Veloster.

i30 N Front angle low view

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/7/24 11:01 a.m.

Friend of mine has one he's been using for TT the last year or so. IT's the same chassis as the second gen veloster and Forte GT. Great chassis, good engine, lots of fun. 

Colin Wood
6/7/24 11:08 a.m.
bobzilla said:

Friend of mine has one he's been using for TT the last year or so. IT's the same chassis as the second gen veloster and Forte GT. Great chassis, good engine, lots of fun. 

Now that's the sort of enablement I'm looking for. wink

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
6/7/24 11:50 a.m.
red_stapler said:

Weren't these the ones that had like undefeatable stability control so they weren't very compelling as a performance car?

yes.  You can't fully defeat it.  Someone here abandoned autoxing their GS Veloster for this reason, and someone making a nationals attempt with a HS Elantra gave up for the same reason as well.

turboshadow
turboshadow New Reader
6/7/24 1:14 p.m.

I had an 2018 Elantra Sport DCT before my current N.  It handled track duty a few times with a bigger rear bar/pad/tires with no problems.   

Colin Wood
6/7/24 1:14 p.m.

In reply to prodarwin :

That's a bit of a bummer, but that's good to know. Could be part of the reason why I don't see very many around.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/7/24 1:43 p.m.

For autox, the tcs/stability control can step in. I never had it step in on track the few times it saw it. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/7/24 1:45 p.m.

Also, if you are from Canuckistan you can get the Forte GT in a hatch. 

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
6/7/24 2:23 p.m.

I had a '16 elantra GT 6 speed,it was ok as transportation,reliable no issues but otherwise forgettable.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/7/24 2:24 p.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla :

Different car. Yours was a NA 2.0 with a beam rear axle. The newer were IRS with the 1.6T/6-spd. Night and day difference. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/7/24 3:07 p.m.

I had a Forté Koup with that 1.6T/6spd and really liked the combination. The rest of the car was pretty much a Cavalier without the good seats

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I128Mkd9WuIu9P7xE5VgkW5GZKp9AvNwPr3d9maw7LMFqP0nbdw1oVfz8Wwbnpfx