Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/11/24 11:38 a.m.

I went down a little bit of a rabbit hole last night regarding the K5 GT/Sonata N Line. (I'm thinking it could be a decent compromise for our next family hauler.)

If anyone here has driven either on track or in an autocross, how was it? I know wheel spin off the line is pretty common because no limited-slip diff, but was it still fun to compete with?

(Bonus points if you have videos to share.)

Colin Wood
9/12/24 9:52 a.m.

Almost forgot that Kia used to run the Optima in the World Challege Series:

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/12/24 10:21 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

quite successfully. 

The new generations do not allow complete removal of TCS/Stability control but the limits are up there a ways and allow a lot of fun. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/12/24 10:34 a.m.

Bro check the FIRM spreadsheet on Monday :)

We had a Sonata N-Line there that was our support vehicle and we got wrapped up and were like "Hey I bet this is fun let's take a few laps." and you know what? It wasn't half bad. Really decent chassis, great brakes, didn't miss the conventional LSD too much, and really exceptional thrust and throttle control. Felt more like a BMW than it had any right to. Not the fastest thing in the world, but respectable lap times and pretty composed on track. It's a car you could easily take to a TNiA and have fun with and not kill the brakes.

Colin Wood
9/12/24 10:49 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Oh yeah, I remember a similar discussion after that day at the FIRM. My biggest takeaway was that it was better than it has a right to be.

Those results have definitely stuck with me, hence why I'm eyeing the GT/N Line.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/12/24 12:03 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

My biggest takeaway was that it was better than it has a right to be.

This has become a theme with the Korean twins the last 5 years.

Stylistically I like the appearance of the K5 over the Sonata. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZG3oyEM1kFhSOMcqR1MayAKdsvLcotNUjM2lkSNFh3su7PqBmhpjq3ZrW6TH68FS