1 2
Dootz
Dootz New Reader
3/8/19 3:18 a.m.

Looking at out-of-the-box swaps to drop weight off the front-end

I'd stick with the 3.8, but looking to go further (the 4V is not ideal thanks to taking up the entirety of the engine bay)

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
3/8/19 3:58 a.m.

Closest I know of is an Ecoboost 2.0 into a Fox.  That was a project on a blog I was reading that I don't think ever got finished. I'll try to find the articles here in a minute.

Dootz
Dootz New Reader
3/8/19 4:08 a.m.

I have heard of the Ecoboost being dropped in, but I was looking to avoid that block series due to direct injection complications

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
3/8/19 4:49 a.m.

In reply to Dootz :

I've been lead to believe the Ecoboost engines were an evolution of the Duratec. I believe a Ranger oil pan and NC Miata trans were used.

The Fox in question.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms New Reader
3/8/19 5:39 a.m.

Ecoboost 2.3 out of a Mustang with the transmission shouldnt be a killer swap. Ford Performance Parts has a swap kit with the harness and computer for right under $2,000. Fab some engine mounts and a transmission mount, go find a driveshaft shop and wire the thing into the car.

UPR and Maximum Motorsports used to have swap k-members available for a few different kinds of engines. Maybe give them a call and see. Another company to call up would be CP-E in Maryland. They have been tuning and putting big turbos on the 2.3 for a few years now. Last i saw, they had a 600rwhp Ecoboost car that was cracking 10's at the drag strip.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/8/19 6:20 a.m.
Dootz said:

I have heard of the Ecoboost being dropped in, but I was looking to avoid that block series due to direct injection complications

So are you planning on boosting the Duratec motor on your own?  It's very possible- I wish I wrote it down, but there's a combination of parts from the 2.0 and 2.3 that will lead to a lower compression engine that would be very appropriate for boost.

Also, I'd look into a 2.5 swap, too.  It's a popular swap for Miatas, so it should fit quite easily into a SN95.

BTW, probably the easiest swap would be to find a wrecked NC Miata, and take it's powertrain.  Should fit easily.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
3/8/19 7:04 a.m.

I know I've seen a build thread where a guy did a boosted Duratec in an SN95, but it's been a couple of years. I thought it was on here, but it might also have been turborangerforum.com, but I'm having trouble accessing that site now.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/8/19 7:25 a.m.

What's your goal with this one? There are other ways to drop weight off the front end of that's a concern. Dropping in another 4.6 would be monumentally easier (and cheaper) than a custom swap. 

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
3/8/19 9:39 a.m.

You could always go the route this guy went, lighter with more power.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/american-revolution-fox-body-mustang-chevy-v8/

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
3/8/19 9:59 a.m.

No luck finding that build thread yet, but I did find some videos of a different one. He's got more on his channel

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/8/19 11:29 a.m.

The thing that sucks about the Ecoboost is that the injection pump is halfway through the firewall and into the HVAC unit, unless you want to park the engine forward.

It's probably only on the order of 10ish lbs over the axle, but it can be annoying.

Dootz
Dootz New Reader
3/9/19 1:49 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

I was thinking about the 2.5, but the variable cam timing seems like it would add more complexity than I'd want to deal with. Doing a 2.0/2.3 combo would be the path I'm looking at

Dootz
Dootz New Reader
3/9/19 1:55 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

Wow, that's nice to see a swap l'm imagining actually done and running

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/9/19 7:07 a.m.
Dootz said:

In reply to alfadriver :

I was thinking about the 2.5, but the variable cam timing seems like it would add more complexity than I'd want to deal with. Doing a 2.0/2.3 combo would be the path I'm looking at

Before counting out the VCT, see is anyone has spent a lot of time recording a 2.5l live, and process that data to run it like that.  There's an MS version that does VCT.

And there are so many Miata swaps of that engine, well....

Knurled.
3/9/19 7:24 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

The easy button would be to use the Ford computer.  Not sure if HPT has bothered to crack the PCM in the variable cam Duratecs.  I have changed jobs and no longer have access to an HPTuners dongle, so I can't just download tunes from other peoples' cars to my whims.  (I work on Hondas now.  Lots and lots of Hondas.  Am thinking of buying an S2000, actually, or maybe an RSX type S.  As a result of my job change, I can actually afford that now...)

RossD
RossD MegaDork
3/9/19 7:40 a.m.

What components can you swipe from an mazdaspeed3 or ecoboost 2.0/2.3 to more easily turbocharge a N/A duratec and still use megasquirt?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/9/19 7:43 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Some other threads suggest that nobody has done that on a Ford 2.5l I4 engine.  Given what they go into, that's not all that surprising- who takes the cheap version of the Fusion or Escape and wants to modify them?  It's quite a good engine, but other than Miata people, nobody is doing anything with them.  So options are limited unless it's a DIY path.

And considering that it's being put into a 25 year old chassis, well, it's like starting over.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/9/19 7:45 a.m.
RossD said:

What components can you swipe from an mazdaspeed3 or ecoboost 2.0/2.3 to more easily turbocharge a N/A duratec and still use megasquirt?

From the engine standpoint- mixing parts between the 2.0 and 2.3 Duratec motor, you end up with a very boostable engine- I just can't remember the recipe.  We made a boosted Mondeo back in 2004 doing that.  Perhaps the exhaust manifold will change over from an EB engine, but I'm not sure.

Knurled.
3/9/19 7:47 a.m.
RossD said:

The turbo and the bottom end.  That's pretty much it.

Maybe the valve cover, if you prefer aluminum valve cover over plastic for some reason.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
3/9/19 7:48 a.m.

This is why I love this forum.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/9/19 9:52 a.m.
STM317 said:

No luck finding that build thread yet...

Here, allow me

http://www.turborangerforums.com/showthread.php?t=6616

Damn, looks like the forum is locked down to non-members. Here is a FB link to the build

https://www.facebook.com/ecoboostcobra

Dootz
Dootz New Reader
3/10/19 5:31 a.m.

In reply to gumby :

I made an account, here's some notes for the swap if anyone else is interested (from what that guy on the turboranger forums says):

It all came together pretty well, making about 330 flyhweel HP with good manners on the street. Controls were done with the MS3Pro ECU, pump gas and a maximum of 11psi of boost.

A few key points:

The accessory drive ended being rather unique to include power steering (and hydraboost), alternator, A/C and an intake that fits.

The intake ended up being a unicorn. Very custom, but allowed me to use the existing throttle cable and a standard Ford IAC controlled by the MS3Pro.

The GT3076R turbo has decent response on the street with 4.10's. Plenty of boost well before 3000rpm, room for over 500hp up top if the engine can handle it.

We stopped at 11psi on purpose due to the stock engine (2010 Escape 2.5L) limits. A good set of main studs and maybe we could have gone a little further on the stock pistons/rods. But the current setup worked great even for 20 minute open track sessions.

The Quads4Rods bellhousing worked great. We just had to drill for hydraulic access. Using the McLeod hydraulic conversion made this easier. The clutch ended up being a unicorn too: Exedy Focus flywheel and pressure plate with a very custom disc to mate to a 10 spline T5-Z transmission. The six puck sprung hub is also nice in traffic with excellent grip.

Four FRPP 47# injectors with a 1:1 referenced regulator made calibration a snap. The ECU runs in speed density right now, but a custom MAF is integrated into the plumbing.

The black cylinder on the front of the engine is a ProVent cyclonic PCV separator. It works GREAT and keeps oil ingestion to basically zero.

Knurled.
3/10/19 8:37 a.m.

How much extra weight does the turbo and intercooler add?

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
3/10/19 9:22 a.m.

Did anyone mention the 3.7 Mustang V6 and attendant trans instead of the inline-fours?  That seems easier after about 10 minutes of searching out swap info online.  

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
3/10/19 1:01 p.m.

There is a guy locally doing the 3.7 V6 swap into a Fox.  I also recently got confirmation from Maximum Motorsports that they are working on a tubular K member to put the current Ecoboost 4 into the Fox / SN platform.  I told them I'd buy K member #2 when they release it.  I envision an SVO with an Ecoboost and Cobra IRS setup as being a lot of fun.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6wrlkQKC3TrFE6zveBRVbEido3uK05efxzog4nP1Teeup8uYdGkdBupBly6wcWLW