Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/11/24 10:57 a.m.

The livestream makes for some great background noise while I work.

More info over on Classic Motorsports:

[2024 Goodwood Festival of Speed Day 1: Here’s what’s running today]

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/11/24 11:37 a.m.

Crap, I forgot it was on.

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/11/24 11:42 a.m.

just crashed the lotus evija. not even sure how, it just cut from normal driving to it sideways and smoking

Edit: they just showed another angle, lost control during a burnout. Thought this was a lotus not a mustang

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
7/11/24 12:27 p.m.

Thanks for the link.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
7/11/24 12:49 p.m.

The Franchitti brothers are lucky boys.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/11/24 1:15 p.m.

I am

Purple Frog
Purple Frog GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/11/24 1:56 p.m.

Always an amazing show for us gearheads.   So many of the racecars I've seen live, so it brings back a lot of memories.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
7/11/24 3:04 p.m.

I watched some of it this morning, catching some of the EVs running.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/24 4:07 p.m.
stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/11/24 4:44 p.m.

I saw the clip of the Lotus crashing at the start line.  I think it has one electric motor per wheel, so I wonder if something went haywire with the programming.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
7/11/24 5:01 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

I saw the clip of the Lotus crashing at the start line.  I think it has one electric motor per wheel, so I wonder if something went haywire with the programming.

That's correct - one motor per wheel, 2000 horsepower altogether. The live stream announcers apparently speculated that the control software may have glitched. No word from Lotus yet.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/11/24 9:21 p.m.

Has the Auto Union type 52 recreation made an appearance yet?  With a 500hp V16 it should have a pretty awesome sound.

sevenracer
sevenracer HalfDork
7/11/24 11:12 p.m.

Tuned in for a bit this afternoon.

Saw an interview with Mr. Bean (Rowan Atkinson) who had piloted a hydrogen fueled, piston engine Yaris up the hill. I knew he was a pretty serious motorsports/racing guy. Pretty weird to see him out of character.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/12/24 11:13 a.m.

I think this is probably the best "car show" on the planet.  It seems like everything and everyone is there, it always amazes me what cars show up to go up the hill.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/13/24 10:05 a.m.

They reran the Mcmurtry EV sucker car's record setting run from last year today, I'm always amazed to see that video because it looks like a fast forwarded cartoon movie.  They also had a run of the old UOP Shadow Can-Am cars, which were always a favorite of mine back in the day.  They were tiny cars with a huge amount of horsepower, and sounded incredible.

Purple Frog
Purple Frog GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/13/24 10:35 a.m.

I'm not getting any of my chores done.  I find myself glued to the screen.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/13/24 10:15 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

They reran the Mcmurtry EV sucker car's record setting run from last year today, I'm always amazed to see that video because it looks like a fast forwarded cartoon movie.  They also had a run of the old UOP Shadow Can-Am cars, which were always a favorite of mine back in the day.  They were tiny cars with a huge amount of horsepower, and sounded incredible.

Just watched the customer version go up the hill in the wet and the speed was unbelievable in those conditions.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
7/14/24 6:34 p.m.

An explanation of the Lotus incident. Takeaway: turn off the electronic helpers on a 2000-hp EV, and good luck to you, sir.

https://www.goodwood.com/grr/event-coverage/festival-of-speed/what-really-happened-to-the-lotus-evija-x-at-the-festival-of-speed/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mXOeWhPXATREhdvSTb5Z1KhE65NSXFchqe0kQpZ3amEVsrfXeTndomYa3hXr9JaU