1 2
DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
2/19/13 7:17 p.m.

I've been contemplating this for a while. I always thought it would be neat to build something. Just seeing if anyone has done this, if they have some advice, and/or instructions.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/19/13 7:38 p.m.

We had one in the office a million years ago. In reality, the seat-back angle was way to shallow. I guess if you have Stretch Armstrong arms it would work. Or maybe we should have used a steeper seat.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/19/13 7:46 p.m.

My friend used his race seats as video game chairs before the car was ready for them..

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
2/19/13 8:14 p.m.

I built one from a DSM seat and an office chair base. A real office chair is better. Car seats are heavy and unless they are from a truck or van, not designed to be sat in like an office chair.

To attach it to the seat base I did it the most ghetto way possible. Soaked the seat (cloth) and base foam with a garden hose, then welded the chair base to it while it was still wet. Made a lot of sizzling noise, but didnt burn. Ended up being more comfortable than any chair in the garage, so thats where it lived until scrap got high enough.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
2/19/13 8:21 p.m.

I'm sitting in my Viper office chair right now. It's pretty comfortable. I used it at work for a dozen years as my regular office chair.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
2/19/13 8:50 p.m.

I built one from a MR2 seat. Very comfy. More better than the office chairs I had. I'll shoot a pic tomorrow. The adjustable back is actually quite nice.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
2/19/13 10:30 p.m.

See I hate regular office chairs which is why I want to do this.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/19/13 11:21 p.m.

I made one out of an old W123 Mercedes seat.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
2/20/13 4:59 a.m.

F-104 ejection seat chair.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
2/20/13 5:28 a.m.

I sat in an Sparco EVO 3 for a couple of years. Plywood base bolted to office chair leg assembly, side mounts and seat. Very comfy for long stretches, though I will admit that reclining did require an Allen wrench.

LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
2/20/13 6:08 a.m.

We have two, one made from am adjustable back Recaro that came out of my civic when it got race seats and one made out of a Corbeau race seat demontsration seat as it has no cut outs for belts. Both are comfy but others are correct the angle is off for a traditional office chair. The recaro works best beacuse it can be adjusted without using shims.

Both are bolted onto old offcie chair bases with adtapters made of angle or aluminium. I suppose wood could work just as well.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/20/13 6:15 a.m.

Yes, but I made an arcade game style console to sit in instead of a desk.

I figured that sitting in a car was way more comfortable than sitting up in a chair.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
2/20/13 7:12 a.m.

This is the passenger seat from a 1st gen MR2. I have the drivers seat with more adjustments I'll use later. This was just to see if it was comfy.

The base is 1" square tube. I'll trim the ends and paint it another time.

When I trim and paint the base I'm going to make arms for it.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/20/13 7:22 a.m.

Turned a 914 seat into a drive simulator for an 8 year old. Close?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/13 7:26 a.m.

I am sitting in the passenger seat from my 318ti right now. Removed it from it's base, drilled and bolted it to an office chair set of rolling legs. It's the most comfy office chair I ever sat in. While it no longer goes up or down or front and back like in the car (It does have up and down adjustment on the legs) it still reclines.

I just need to fabricate up some arms and it will be perfect

airwerks
airwerks New Reader
2/20/13 12:08 p.m.

I love my Swift GT office chair, most comfortable I've ever had!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/20/13 12:11 p.m.

Don't the side bolsters hit your elbows sometimes?

I've been thinking of turning an AE92 GTS seat into a sim driving seat.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
2/20/13 2:22 p.m.

These belong in the "I made a" thread!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
2/20/13 2:24 p.m.

Recaro used to sell office chairs

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
2/20/13 2:53 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill:

They still do, but they're crazy expensive. Something like $1300.

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
2/20/13 3:08 p.m.

I've wanted to do this for the longest time.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
2/20/13 5:07 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: These belong in the "I made a" thread!

Nice idea. I'll do that now.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/20/13 5:20 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: In reply to spitfirebill: They still do, but they're crazy expensive. Something like $1300.

That's cheap for good office chairs.

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 Reader
2/22/13 2:32 p.m.

I had a old Recaro or whatever came in the SVO/ high end 5.0 mustangs for years as an office chair. Not the most comfortable thing

oneoneupday
oneoneupday New Reader
9/17/19 5:32 a.m.

How about this one {ergonometic cane canoe seat?} :

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nI3AhHUUOQLDsMD8QpS3bDIQdFuNAeBAoLLCay9kOaZcocdgwousFB1mOpCPP3b6