1 2 3
golfduke
golfduke Reader
1/19/15 9:18 a.m.

I no longer need a full size truck- my track car is road legal, and my 9000# camper is being replaced with a 1500# pop-up. I'm looking for something that I can enjoy still but will still allow me to tow a popup and my snowmobiles/ATV's. I've been looking into Jeeps and Xterra's/Frontiers, but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. Current parking situation does not allow me to do 2 vehicles for each purpose- has to be all in 1.

Is what is in the title line impossible to achieve? I have to admit, even though I'm not 100% in love with my Ram, the concept of a 5/6 speed Wrangler is rubbing me in the right ways.

wwGRMd?

parker
parker Reader
1/19/15 9:28 a.m.

Not unless you need the off-road capability. You won't hit 20mpg and it's not fun on pavement. Wranglers are all about posing. I do more off-roading in my Neon than 99.9% of Wranglers.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
1/19/15 9:30 a.m.

I've been looking at something very similar, though am now focused on big trucks. Choices I looked at, in the same price range:

Minivan - most can tow 3500lbs
Ford Flex - w/tow package it can tow 5000
Traverse/Envoy/Outlook/Enclave - ditto the Flex on towing
Kia Borrego - rare, but can tow 5000 w/V6 or 7500 w/V8

Of course, Explorer, Durango and those ilk are capable of your needs too.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
1/19/15 9:34 a.m.

Budget? Jeep Liberty Diesel?

Wranglers don't get more than like 16 and that's even the newer ones with the new motor

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
1/19/15 9:40 a.m.

I don't understand the love that the Jeep brand gets. Techs at shops I've worked in saw them a lot and always said something negative about them. I don't think I'd want to tow nearly two tons with a Wrangler. I've only driven Wranglers around parking lots when I worked at said shops but even then I thought they were kind of a joke. I kind of get the attraction of a CJ-8 but they haven't sold those in about thirty years. CJ-8 with a 304 might be cool but it's a pretty small vehicle for towing that might weight.

I think the Flex idea above makes sense. Not sure what else.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
1/19/15 9:48 a.m.

Roadmaster, lsx, two snails, t56, suspension goodies, and tow hitch should run well under $20k even if a shop does the work

golfduke
golfduke Reader
1/19/15 9:50 a.m.

I will definitely need good 4wd capabilities, getting into and out of unplowed lots for snowmobiling. Flex won't work for sure, nor will a minivan. Sorry I forgot to mention that...

twolittlebroncos
twolittlebroncos Reader
1/19/15 9:55 a.m.

Jeeps aren't great for towing, but you'll have to decide your comfort level with the abilities or lack thereof.

Fun is very subjective. Quick steering, short wheelbase, decent power/weight, and significant ground clearance can add up to a lot of fun in my book. If you have a camper, atv, and snowmobile then you'd probably find ways to enjoy a Jeep too. To those guys that can't understand love for Jeeps need to go spend a few days in Moab in a rented Jeep. You'll get it.

20+ mpg is overly optimistic for a Jeep even with a Pentastar or 4-cyl.

I think a Jeep could work for you, but you have to be realistic about towing and gas mileage.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
1/19/15 9:59 a.m.

We had a 1998 full size GM truck with 4WD and the 5.7 Vortec & an automatic that did about 19 mpg on the highway when brand new. This was the standard cab, not extended, which I think really helps reduce weight vs. the bigger cabbed versions. I really liked that truck. Get one of those.

EDIT: CJ-8 + some kind of LS-type V8. Build that.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/19/15 10:00 a.m.

Xterra, but you had better buy one now, they're axed for 2015 iirc.

Wrangler for towing is one of the most amusing things I've heard around here.

golfduke
golfduke Reader
1/19/15 10:04 a.m.

I had an Xterra before, loved it. I just was hoping for a bit more frills this time around, but I did love the utility of it. Also got nowhere near 20mpg either...

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
1/19/15 10:04 a.m.

The Flex is available w/AWD just FYI.

But then I'd suggest looking at the Enclave/Traverse. You can get a 2013 w/leather, blah, blah for under $20k.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
1/19/15 10:08 a.m.
yamaha wrote: Xterra, but you had better buy one now, they're axed for 2015 iirc. Wrangler for towing is one of the most amusing things I've heard around here.

I second this. After being chauffeured in both the 2 and 4 door new ranglers I A) do not understand the appeal of driving one on pavement at all. And B) would never consider towing anything with one. I'd probably rather tow with my mom's 2004 crv.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/19/15 10:13 a.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke:

I would rather tow that much with a e21 320i.....

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/19/15 10:27 a.m.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4847375305.html

golfduke
golfduke Reader
1/19/15 10:28 a.m.
Klayfish wrote: The Flex is available w/AWD just FYI. But then I'd suggest looking at the Enclave/Traverse. You can get a 2013 w/leather, blah, blah for under $20k.

I'd buy that right now... where?

chiodos
chiodos New Reader
1/19/15 10:28 a.m.

There's just something terrible about wranglers, besides the aweful build quality, lackluster power, deppressing economy, and horrible road handling. Maybe that they still cost a premium and everyone's still obsessed with them? This is coming from someone whos owned a cj5 and 7, and extensively driven every wranger generation. My vote is for a 4runner

Edit: someone said weird everyone hates wranglers but loves xjs, thats true ive had 3 xjs and love them..but even an xj isnt this mans answer.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
1/19/15 10:32 a.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine:

I was going to suggest B-body wagon but I honestly thought it made too much sense. Like, no way is this going to work, it's too obvious.

nokincy
nokincy New Reader
1/19/15 10:55 a.m.

Wow, there's a lot of hate on Wranglers coming from a forum that considers the XJ an "answer" vehicle. IF I were to endorse a Wrangler it would be a JKU. It will do everything you want it to besides getting the MPGs you want.I wouldn't be worried at all pulling around a pop-up or a couple of snowmobiles with it either.

And yes. Jeeps are fun.

However, my vote would go to a current vintage Grand Cherokee, or depending on how brave you are a VW Touareg with the V8. I say that strictly because if it's going to be your only vehicle a Wrangler is not a very great place to spend your time.

golfduke
golfduke Reader
1/19/15 10:55 a.m.

In reply to chiodos:

the 4runner is definitely intriguing as is an older pathfinder... How are these in terms of rust, reliability, and ease of fixing E36 M3 myself?

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/15 11:00 a.m.
golfduke wrote:
Klayfish wrote: The Flex is available w/AWD just FYI. But then I'd suggest looking at the Enclave/Traverse. You can get a 2013 w/leather, blah, blah for under $20k.

Seconded. I've specifically looked at 2013 Enclaves, and you can't touch them for less than $30k around here. More like $35k, really.

Anyhow, for OP, find a nice SUV with a V6 under the hood. Exploder wouldn't be a bad choice, and I think the new one with a V6 is rated for something like 23 on the freeway. Not sure if they are down to $20k yet, though.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
1/19/15 11:12 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
golfduke wrote:
Seconded. I've specifically looked at 2013 Enclaves, and you can't touch them for less than $30k around here. More like $35k, really. Anyhow, for OP, find a nice SUV with a V6 under the hood. Exploder wouldn't be a bad choice, and I think the new one with a V6 is rated for something like 23 on the freeway. Not sure if they are down to $20k yet, though.

sub $20k 2013 Traverse, loaded

On Autotraders' website, they have the price as $19,995, but I can't get the link to work right.

If you don't need all the bells and whistles, I've seen base models with much lower miles for similar or less money.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/19/15 11:18 a.m.

Just picked up a V8 4th gen 4runner for $16k with 54,000 miles. Doesn't quite hit your mileage target (average 18), but it hits all the other boxes.

bluej
bluej SuperDork
1/19/15 11:31 a.m.

New gen (not sure what the xx code is) Cherokee. 4500# rating w/ the tow package. Also, new pathfinder looks nice but not sure on $$/mpgs. Latest outback is rated for 3k towing, too.

golfduke
golfduke Reader
1/19/15 11:47 a.m.

I think I'm done with Chrysler products for a while, to be honest.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0YbH3oy14tlfHn2790o9fZxHfMNGpkYyhBJ7aPwnGyo7nXNoZqfzF5SXyTjMMwab