1 2
Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
11/13/23 8:12 a.m.

We live in a world of constant bombardment with messages touting the latest hotness: better, longer-lasting, more comfortable. But there’s security in the familiar, and change does not come easily for many of us. Recall that comfortable pair of sneakers your spouse keeps trying to replace or that sweatshirt you still wear a decade later–or even the tires you take …

This content is available for GRM+ members and Grassroots Motorsports magazine subscribers only.

You can read it for free in 43 days or subscribe to GRM+ to read right now.

Subscribe now

Already a member?

Login to read

Read the rest of the story

beatus
beatus GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/13/23 1:47 p.m.

Is the writeup on the NT01 missing? I see it in a few spots, but it wasn't pulled into it's own header.

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/13/23 2:33 p.m.

Also here for the NT01 results..?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
11/13/23 2:41 p.m.

Sorry guys! The team just updated the article--hit refresh and you should see NT01 data.

avboiler11
avboiler11 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/13/23 3:20 p.m.

The difference in pace between the RR and NT01 is great to see in as controlled an environment as realistically possible.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
11/13/23 4:56 p.m.

Geez, a full second between the Toyo RR and the NT01.  I'm almost done with the NT01's I current have, I need to see if the Toyo's are made in the sizes I need...

ShiftLess
ShiftLess New Reader
11/13/23 5:21 p.m.

I have used many sets of R888Rs for HPDE the last few years...last two events I used Yokohama A052s which were a few tenths under three seconds faster than previous bests at both WG and VIR.

Maybe time to test the Super 200s against the supposedly faster tires.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
11/13/23 7:38 p.m.
ShiftLess said:

Maybe time to test the Super 200s against the supposedly faster tires.

What exactly are you asking for here?

The Super 200 pointy end is a 3-way tie between A052, RE71-RS and CRS V2...each able to produce similar single lap TT pace, but with a range of different personalities and heat characteristics.

The only thing faster are certain r-comps (A7, R7, A055) and a pair of 100-tw tires (GY SC3R and Trofeo R).

All of this is reflected under the "Pace" column in the chart here: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/track-tire-buyers-guide/

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/13/23 8:01 p.m.
Andy Hollis said:

The only thing faster are certain r-comps (A7, R7, A055) and a pair of 100-tw tires (GY SC3R and Trofeo R).

What about the Michelin Cup 2 Rs?  Or are those too limited in size availability to be able to compare?

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
11/14/23 12:21 a.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Andy Hollis said:

What about the Michelin Cup 2 Rs?  Or are those too limited in size availability to be able to compare?

Yes.  Not to mention the OE-specific versions.  Much like the Trofeo R, in that regard.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
11/14/23 9:28 a.m.

So in the scheme of a DE tire, where I'm looking for something that'll wear well am I better off with a super 200tw tire like the A052 or RE71RS, or something like the Toyo RR?  I know that's the fine line between stickiness for optimal lap times and durability/consistency

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
11/14/23 10:53 a.m.
docwyte said:

So in the scheme of a DE tire, where I'm looking for something that'll wear well am I better off with a super 200tw tire like the A052 or RE71RS, or something like the Toyo RR?  I know that's the fine line between stickiness for optimal lap times and durability/consistency

Honestly, if you are happy with the longevity, stickiness and consistency of your NT01s, I see no reason to jump ship.

RR's are a bit stickier but give up some longevity (lasting around 75% as long as NT01s), so it really comes down to how much you want to pay for lap times in a noncompetitive environment.

All the tires you mentioned will give up consistency or lifespan to NT01s but will give you some grip. How much money is that worth to you? I have read Andy believes the V730 to be better in wear and grip, so that may be the outlier, but they are limited in sizing options. 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
11/14/23 11:24 a.m.
docwyte said:

For a DE tire, I'd be looking at CRS V2 for best pace/consistency.  V730 for a bit more durability and cheaper. Or Maxxis RC1 R2 for even more durability. 

Look up our RR vs RC1 vs AR1 test to see why I prefer the RC1.  Link to it from the Track Guide page.

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/14/23 12:05 p.m.

Do any of the longer lasting tires (V730, RS4, RC1, NT01 Etc) stand out in grip under braking more than the others?

Currently on V730s and they've gotten better as they've worn in it seems. Curious about other tires to try out next year. Running grabby DS3.12 pads up front and certainly don't want to go down in grip and make lockups/excessive ABS intervention more likely.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
11/14/23 12:09 p.m.

I can tell you the RC1v1 was hot garbage under braking, but cant speak to if this was 100% fixed in the v2.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/14/23 12:26 p.m.
Andy Hollis said:

For a DE tire, I'd be looking at CRS V2 for best pace/consistency.

I just had a fresh set mounted up this morning for a DE at Sonoma this weekend. I can't wait to try them. I really liked the AR-1s on my GTI.

Blackhalo
Blackhalo GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/14/23 12:26 p.m.
Andy Hollis said:
docwyte said:

For a DE tire, I'd be looking at CRS V2 for best pace/consistency.  V730 for a bit more durability and cheaper. Or Maxxis RC1 R2 for even more durability. 

Look up our RR vs RC1 vs AR1 test to see why I prefer the RC1.  Link to it from the Track Guide page.

I went with the RC1 over the RR due to that test. (Running NASA TT5 so it's basically the two to run).

Ready to make the jump on my DC2 to 17s, but for some reason Maxxis doesn't make a 245/40 17. Not sure why the went with a 45 sidewall in that size.

ThumperUSMC
ThumperUSMC New Reader
11/14/23 12:43 p.m.

I like the article and would love to try the Nankang Sportnex tires on my Vette, but according to Nankang, they don't make the tires in the sizes for my 1998 C5 Corvette.

Any help?

ross2004
ross2004 Reader
11/14/23 1:30 p.m.
ThumperUSMC said:

I like the article and would love to try the Nankang Sportnex tires on my Vette, but according to Nankang, they don't make the tires in the sizes for my 1998 C5 Corvette.

Any help?

They have 245/40/17 & 275/35/18. Very slightly shorter, I wouldn't worry about it. 

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
11/14/23 3:23 p.m.

In reply to Andy Hollis :

Thanks! I'll take a look and see what comes in the sizes I need.  911 rears are hard to find sometimes, 315-30-18 with a 245-40-18 front.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
11/14/23 3:39 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:
docwyte said:

Honestly, if you are happy with the longevity, stickiness and consistency of your NT01s, I see no reason to jump ship.

RR's are a bit stickier but give up some longevity (lasting around 75% as long as NT01s), so it really comes down to how much you want to pay for lap times in a noncompetitive environment.

All the tires you mentioned will give up consistency or lifespan to NT01s but will give you some grip. How much money is that worth to you? I have read Andy believes the V730 to be better in wear and grip, so that may be the outlier, but they are limited in sizing options. 

Excited to hear that about the V730 as I just put a set on Rabbit's street wheel setup.  They were crazy cheap ~107 delivered for 205/50/15's which I couldn't beat vs the others.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/14/23 3:57 p.m.

I like that the R888R is still available for 13" wheels. It's also very cheap. I had a hard time finding a matching set of tires for the Free Europa challenge car, due to the staggered 13" fronts and 15" rears. It was either R888R, Hoosiers, or A052's flown in from overseas. I saved $500 vs the other options. Can confirm they have amazing longitudinal grip - that Lotus sure could launch.

jb94112
jb94112 GRM+ Member
11/14/23 9:18 p.m.

How would a V730 would compare in grip/pace to the RC1 V2?  

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
11/14/23 10:07 p.m.
jb94112 said:

How would a V730 would compare in grip/pace to the RC1 V2?  

Column 1 in the chart

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/track-tire-buyers-guide/

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
11/15/23 9:52 a.m.

Well, not too many tires made in the sizes I need.  Out of the RR's, V730's, RC1's and CRS V2's, only the CRS V2's are made in the sizes I need.  So I guess I either try out the CRS V2's or stick with NT01's.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CeCzEdEY0pggX0vCCuapz0BDFs0ed37aPxTUSvRFNJkTJn9mTex8R9JRO9TpuFmD