1 2
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/9/16 2:56 p.m.
jstand wrote: In reply to SVreX: Not sure where the 3" came from, but when was the last time you had to drill a hole deeper than 3" that wasn't to run wires in a building? The OP asked for suggestions and I made it based on my experience. I find the x/y table, variable speed and corse and fine feed more useful than any extra travel/clearance a drill press would provide. Not to mention, I can use the whole travel (probably 6"-8" with the vice mounted and not just 3") if I want Slotted holes, square bottom counter bores, adding clearance reliefs along with other minor milling work where you would potentially resort to filing or a die grinder can be done more accurately. It all comes down to what types of repairs and fabrication you plan to do and what you can fit in the budget.

Table top units have silly short throw distances, on both drill presses and table top mills (I have both).

I don't drill holes that deep, but sure appreciate the additional throw distance. 90% of the time it saves me setup time because I don't have to adjust the table height to get the drill depth right.

FWIW, I own 2 floor model drill presses, 2 table top drill presses, a table top mill, and a larger one. The floor model drill presses get 10X the use- they are just easier. I should throw away the table top drill presses. The mills, well I'd probably keep the small one if I had to choose, but that's just to conserve floor space. The big one is far more accurate and capable.

Yes, I understand what the OP asked for. I also made suggestions based on my experience. Did you have a point there?

jstand
jstand HalfDork
10/9/16 3:12 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Yes, I understand what the OP asked for. I also made suggestions based on my experience. Did you have a point there?

Just that our opinions and experience differ.

I prefer the table top mill in my garage for my use, and you prefer the drill press.

The OP needs to figure out his intended use and then filter through the information and opinions provided to make a decision.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/9/16 5:04 p.m.

In reply to jstand:

Agreed- our opinions differ.

But I didn't say I prefer a drill press. I said for a low budget, absolutely essential basic starting point to a shop that would enable the broadest capability for the least money, I'd include a drill press.

I would later upgrade to a mill.

Since the OP ruled out a mill (or at least a CNC one), I'm just trying to answer the question.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/9/16 6:40 p.m.

Different direction, but since you mentioned a floor drain, hot/cold water, a retractable hose reel and a sink if you can swing it.

Retractable hose is really nice for air as well.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
10/9/16 6:59 p.m.

When I find myself owning a garage, I'll probably buy a lathe before I own a complete and matching socket set or bother lighting the place up like an operating room.

EDIT: Also, Chicago Pneumatic (not to be confused with Central Pneumantic!) CP714 air hammer.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
10/9/16 8:05 p.m.

Quick/ crappy pic of my old Craftsman floor model drill press bought new prolly 30 yrs. ago, pre-Chinese so prolly that quality Taiwanese E36 M3 ftw. 1.5 hp, 17" reach, taper spindle w/ 5/8" shank size, swivel/ degree table, 200-3600 rpm speed. Never disappointed, even done light milling. Best day was boring multiple holes w/ 4-1/2" hole saw through 11 ga. checker plate, slow and cool w/ water or WD. Bore 3/4" w/ step down shanks or larger w/ taper shank drills.

Find one on CL... buy it.

freetors
freetors New Reader
10/9/16 8:59 p.m.

Can't believe no one has mentioned a tire changer or balancer yet. I've been itching for them for years now. If you have any friends at all they would basically pay for themselves.

ChrisHachet
ChrisHachet New Reader
10/10/16 7:31 a.m.
outasite wrote: Compressor and related air tools of choice

Absolutely this.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
10/10/16 9:57 a.m.

I don't think anyone's mentioned pliers yet, either. Ohm meter?

engiekev
engiekev New Reader
10/11/16 10:12 a.m.

Portable band saw. Can get a rebranded milwaukee version cheap at harbor freight, cuts pipe, sheet, angle and more. Can add a stand to make it vertical.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VinDxdwuypIyZObU89e7LaOKgxMSpOLQ9wez7NwCDmvutYeNu79VbIB1Fl4E16iQ