1 2
PubBurgers
PubBurgers HalfDork
10/13/08 8:26 p.m.

Looking at a Jetta with an auto now, just wondering the reliability of the autotragic transmissions in the MKIII Vr6 models.

thanks!

Jacques

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/13/08 8:34 p.m.

They are fair at best. The 4.3L engine is an old-school small block chevy with two cylinders lopped off. The transmission is a 4L60E that has had iffy reliability.

But they're cheap to fix. Before you trade, take a look at simple things like distributor cap and plugs. Those vans tend to be tight on space.

bamalama
bamalama New Reader
10/13/08 8:37 p.m.

If it's one of the Vortec engines with the injection spider (don't know when they stopped making that thing), run! That expensive little part is a pain in the ass.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/13/08 10:11 p.m.

I've had kinda the opposite experience with ours. Our family has owned three vehicles with the 4.3/4L60E combo. The tranny is usually good for 65-100k. I've nursed them along as far as 135k but they start having a pretty bad 2-3 shift flare and burnt valves in the valve body are pretty common.

The 4.3 is a fine engine, but it is basically a traditional SBC. I've never had one that made it past 150k without serious blowby.

YMMV.

integraguy
integraguy Reader
10/14/08 1:23 a.m.

"I see them everywhere, so they can't be too horrid?"

There are a lot of cars still on the roads that are pretty bad, I'm guessing because their owners are too broke to be able to trade them in. Example? The Tempo/Topaz, or the late '90s Taurus. Chevy Luminas, or Buick Regal sedans. Chrysler ....nearly any model.

The only redeeming feature of an Astro is that being a Chevy many parts are cheap, not always in-expensive...just cheap.

TheBen
TheBen New Reader
10/14/08 1:32 a.m.

They finished at the bottom of JD Power and Associates' initial quality ratings for approximately 97 years straight.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/14/08 6:22 a.m.

And I have about a million miles between 10 of them... The failure bullet points are:

• Maintaining transfer case fluid
  • Idler arms
  • Not maintaining rear gear lube
  • not keeping transmission fluid cool
  • Typical van seating position
  • Door handles
  • Poor rear shock selection for towing
  • No frame, it IS a unibody with a stub frame. You ARE pulling with a V6 powered Nova.
patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/14/08 7:04 a.m.

fair at best?

astros are bulletproof.

my 96 has 168k and was broken only because PO didnt check the oil and ran it low.

my 95 has 175k now and was a $300 pile when i got it because it was driven and neglected for years until the fuel pump went out. new brakes and fuel pump put it on the road for more use.

the 4.3 is proven going back to 1955 if you want to get into it that far since it's 3/4 of a small block. they run forever with max abuse.

the only thing i would recommend is aftermarket tranny cooler.

John Brown
10/14/08 7:05 a.m.

Forgot fuel pumps.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
10/14/08 8:44 a.m.

I've also spent a lot of time in Astros, much of it towing a race car, and they've always been fairly reliable. The 4.3 is one of GMs better engines, and all the ones I've driven had the 700R4 transmission, not sure when they changed. They are however the weak link regardless. They need to be kept cool, and you need to take care when towing to keep it out of overdrive when going up steep hills.

For a van they drive pretty well, but are still a van. And they drive a LOT more like a truck than most other mini vans, so it needs to be something you like. The later ones are much nicer than the earlier versions, as they updated most of it along the way, except for the door handles which break on an alarming basis. It's very much GM, for better or worse, but I wouldn't hesitate to get one. It's actually one of GMs better vans, and has a tow rating of 5,500 pounds. Perfect if you have a light car to haul.

Not sure I'd want to drive one everyday though.

One other bonus, a 350 will drop right in without much trouble, there are kits to do this, and it makes for a really cool sleeper. A friend did this to one of his, and it was a blast, but he had to wait to almost a quarter million miles on the 4.3 as it just wouldn't die.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers HalfDork
10/14/08 9:45 a.m.

Thanks for the info guys. I think i'll probably pass as it's a little (lot) bigger than im used to and if something does brake i'm not familiar with them (only GM product i've ever owned was a Fiero).

thanks!

Jacques

Duende
Duende New Reader
10/14/08 4:18 p.m.

Hey, a 350-powered AWD Astro would be cool.

John Brown
10/14/08 4:54 p.m.

A Vortec AWD Astro IS cool... and can get 21mpg (with 3.42 gears) when driven responsibly.

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
10/14/08 10:24 p.m.
John Brown wrote: And I have about a million miles between 10 of them... The failure bullet points are: - Maintaining transfer case fluid - Idler arms - Not maintaining rear gear lube - not keeping transmission fluid cool - Typical van seating position - Door handles - Poor rear shock selection for towing - No frame, it IS a unibody with a stub frame. You ARE pulling with a V6 powered Nova.

You forgot the ignition key cylinders will only last about 10,000 miles before you key starts sticking and starting will begin to be a hit or miss situation. You absolutely must not have anything on the key ring or else the extra weight will destroy the cylinder much sooner.

John Brown
10/15/08 6:03 a.m.

Never had that problem. I got another 1996 last night that needs a new differential and an instrument cluster as well as some minor crap.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers HalfDork
10/24/08 8:10 a.m.

Ok, took a pass on the Astro, but a quick question about my next prospect.

Looking at a 97 Jetta GLX VR6 with a (damnit!) auto. The wife drives a 96 GLS and it's a pretty solid car but it's a 5-speed. Anyone have any experience with the autos?

thanks!

Jacques

JmfnB
JmfnB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/24/08 8:14 a.m.

As a VW service writer I request an exemption from question related to automatic transmissions.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 New Reader
10/24/08 11:01 a.m.

The only experience I have with the 096 and 01M transmissions is removing them and installing 5 speeds.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
10/24/08 1:54 p.m.

john... how do i know what gears mine has?

i've gotten on average 18mpg towing on the interstate... not great but i'm still amazed at how much crap fits in the van with no seats in back there...

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
10/24/08 5:11 p.m.

Dont buy a VW automatic. They are terrible.

TheBen
TheBen New Reader
10/27/08 10:00 p.m.

You can get a 90's Ford Econoline panel van (aka, raper-van) for dirt cheap and those things are bullet proof. You can get a deisel too.

digdug18
digdug18 New Reader
10/22/09 5:51 p.m.

stay far away from a vw, if you ever need to change out a window motor or change the dizzy on one you'll see why really quick, lol.

Andrew

racerboy000
racerboy000 New Reader
10/22/09 9:19 p.m.
John Brown wrote: A Vortec AWD Astro IS cool... and can get 21mpg (with 3.42 gears) when driven responsibly.

What would you think of a lt1 power awd?

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/23/09 6:54 a.m.

Can't you get the same mileage out of a full size van though? From my experience the 4.3 is a pig around town.

John Brown
10/23/09 6:56 a.m.
racerboy000 wrote:
John Brown wrote: A Vortec AWD Astro IS cool... and can get 21mpg (with 3.42 gears) when driven responsibly.
What would you think of a lt1 power awd?

Exponential coolness, Even Vortec 5.7L AWD Astro would be awesomer than most vehicles.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tJZekkZn7HRndJ8qXNwrNGEBbPxKfLU0dfRB7kEEVe3vaVz8OKcGp6azHrXyluQy