1 2
Elsmere
Elsmere New Reader
3/31/15 8:42 a.m.

I wanted to get some input from people who have autocrossed a car that is not commonly considered a good starting point for autocoss. Does anyone have experience autocrossing a "boring" car?

I have a 2004 Pontiac Vibe automatic which, for practical reasons, I am stuck with for the forseeable future. No modifications have been done, nor are any planned.

I have done a couple of events over the years with other cars that were better suited for the task, but have been hesitant to get my vibe out there because it is not a miata/e36/evo/whatever. I was thinking that it is worth doing just to get some seat time and have fun. I am pretty sure it will take a while before I am able to even drive a vibe on chinese tires to its potential.

My idea is to increase the tire pressures and make sure the oil level stays up all day and just go have fun. Are there any other things i should do or look out for?

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
3/31/15 8:46 a.m.

Biggest limiting factor is the driver.

Go forth, autocross, and have a good time.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
3/31/15 8:51 a.m.

Rollover?

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/31/15 8:53 a.m.
  1. You will have a blast - that isn't as dependent on the car as people make it out to be sometimes
  2. Oil and tire pressures should be about all you need during the day (and likely not even oil if you just make sure its full before you go).
  3. One time I signed up for an autox but my car broke down the night before, so I took my GFs car. It was a 2002 celica GT automatic (come to think of it, may have an oddly similar drivetrain to your car) on all season tires. Ended up being a rain day, and I ended up placing in the top 1/4 of cars overall because my deeply treaded all seasons were way better in the rain than the tires most others were running. I remember beating 911's, stripped out fox mustangs, multitudes of e30/e36 (my usual class), etc. I had the same fun I did with my normal car. You might be surprised how well your Vibe does.
  4. You are absolutely right that it will take some seat time before you can drive a vibe with Chinese tires to its full potential. I wish more people (even seasoned autox vets) realized this. I wish I could remember it when I'm losing and trying to buy another modification for my cars.
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/15 8:54 a.m.

Nothing special to do in terms of car prep, but accept that you may be beaten badly, no matter how well you drive. I had to drive my mom's bone-stock bugeye Impreza, 1.6L autotragic, on steelies and no-seasons, in an AutoX a while ago...the results weren't pretty. There were a lot of appliances and drift cars competing that time and a less experienced guy in another appliance (auto Mazda3) got 3rd though.

Last time I drove my own car in an AutoX I was leading through the first two runs before I got edged out and came 2nd.

It was still fun though...in fact the car added to the hilarity.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
3/31/15 8:58 a.m.

Sounds like you just want to take it out to have a good time. With that as the goal, check your tire pressure and oil level and go have fun. Setting FTD, maximizing potential, etc...are irrelevant. Just enjoy.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/31/15 9:06 a.m.

Absolutely! Our local club sees all kinds of cars show up. My daughter runs her bone stock 2002 Impreza wagon with an automatic trans, and has a blast. I've seen a CR-V, a Sebring, several non-speed Mazda3s, and numerous underpowered '90s beaters. Check the oil, put +5 pounds of air in the tires, and head on out!

Which "Elsmere" are you associated with?

bigev007
bigev007 Reader
3/31/15 9:06 a.m.

I used a Civic Hybrid my 1st 2 years. Bought a 2nd set of wheels/tires (someone's worn out Toyos for $100. look for some old rivals/star specs/ or just anything so you don't wear your dailies), replaced rear sway with larger factory unit.

Won region HS 2 years running, PAX'd as high as 3rd at a regional event (Canada, not SCCA)

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/31/15 9:24 a.m.

I've shown up in random pick-up trucks and had lots of fun, even collected a trophy or 2!

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
3/31/15 10:09 a.m.

I've never had problems with mine.

That's one of the great things about autocross, the diversity of cars that show up.

trucke
trucke HalfDork
3/31/15 1:12 p.m.

I've autocrossed my LeSabre and Olds LSS (supercharged). Both POS, but I was out there having fun!

Now I just race an underpowered car with really old tires. STILL FUN!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/31/15 1:18 p.m.

I was in probably 8 different cars last weekend. The guy who was having the most fun was in a 12 year old automatic Camry. The guy having the least fun was in a C6 corvette. Autocross is what you make of it.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
3/31/15 1:20 p.m.

Autocrossed my dd/rallycross P5 and it was a riot, granted going no where fast but plenty of people were thinking I was not only using the e-brake but was going dog leg every corner.

Do it, it's still fun!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/15 1:36 p.m.

Older gentleman brought a Vibe to a test and tune locally once (lowered, appropriate tires, 5-speed 4cyl) and drove the snot out of it. In the MR2 on 140 wear tires, I couldn't touch his times. (full disclosure: I suck) There is no reason not to go out there and have fun. Forget trophies, shoot for personal bests! It's better than watching from the sidelines.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/31/15 1:39 p.m.

For much of my first season, I autocrossed a TDI wagon. Granted... at least it's a manual...

The fun part about it is beating cars you shouldn't.

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
3/31/15 1:41 p.m.

I don't think I post this often enough:

Rupert
Rupert Dork
3/31/15 2:45 p.m.

In reply to Elsmere: Driving a slow car well is very rewarding. For one thing, you already know the car is slow. Now you have to concentrate on driving smoothly enough to overcome that.

Far too many people think if they're making a lot of tire noise and are sideways a lot, that means they're really fast. When they get beat, they don't respond by trying to drive better. They typically blame it on the car and spend tons more money curing the wrong problem. And of course, they generally still get beat.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
3/31/15 2:53 p.m.

Not sure on the vibe, but if you have front and rear seat bars, you could disconnect the front to get better rotation from the rear. And stagger your tire psi. More in back Than in front. Do a chalk line circle. If you don't know what that is- http://pedrosboard.com/read.php?7,10027,10027

Hal
Hal SuperDork
3/31/15 3:15 p.m.

My first Auto-X car was a 1963 Ford Fairlane sedan with a 170cu/in engine and "3 on the tree". My advice: Go out there and have some fun!

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
3/31/15 3:19 p.m.

Enablers!!

Now I feel like I have to drag my auto, 4cyl mazda6 out to dodge some cones.

drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/31/15 3:42 p.m.

I've run a first gen xB on street tires, go enjoy yourself, drive well and you may embarrass some people

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
3/31/15 3:59 p.m.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
3/31/15 4:09 p.m.

Go out there and have fun. Autocross was made with many classes in mind so you can run what you got.

In reply to Ian F: IMO, a TDI wagon manual is a really fun driver's car, kind of like a FWD 3-series.

Edit: Autocrossing a slow car is easier to drive starting out versus a fast car because it's harder to upset the balance of the car with a ton of power.

kylini
kylini HalfDork
3/31/15 4:58 p.m.

Bonus: beat two Evos in raw time.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/31/15 4:58 p.m.

One of my favorite days auto-x'ing right there. I had put the Elantra back to DD status, sold the fun tires etc, and took her 90hp 5-spd accent on some of the E36 M3tiest all season tires known to man. Took 4 of the runs with a MINIMUM of 3 200+lb adults.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rFauGmBi9ECPqoU5TZLUZtHgTstCJ1iI4EEV9GgcLaKhWrxfgOFfUQdupp8uUjT5