1 2 3
bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/18/11 4:33 p.m.

Hmm, a focus with the PZEV 2.3 is an interesting idea. Isn't the torque almost the same as the SVT 2.0 if lower hp? Sounds like a good candidate for an auto, and you can bolt on the SVT suspension bits if nothing else.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
5/18/11 5:41 p.m.

To me the only way to go is a V8 with a slushbox.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke New Reader
5/18/11 6:29 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

I was at a test and tune session at Gingerman raceway and a couple had their '97? Buick Regal Supercharged out on track running stock rubber. It was hilarious hearing the tires beg for mercy through every turn.

pres589
pres589 Dork
5/18/11 6:33 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke:

Yeah I'd really like to hear more about this awesome suspension for these things. They aren't horrible handling but I wouldn't brag it up either. Perhaps there's a Koni insert for the things and then some serious anti-roll bars, camber plates and some serious weight reduction, but why bother?

integraguy
integraguy Dork
5/18/11 6:39 p.m.

The biggest fly in the ointment of FWD AND auto is that there really aren't that many FWD automatic transmissions that can hold up. Heck, they can't seem to build any that hold up for street driving.

Having said that, however, an automatic Integra has a fairly stout transmission. The downside? That transmission isn't what I'd call responsive when it comes to downshifts....your other bad point in a FWD+automatic car.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/18/11 8:25 p.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to clutchsmoke: Yeah I'd really like to hear more about this awesome suspension for these things. They aren't horrible handling but I wouldn't brag it up either. Perhaps there's a Koni insert for the things and then some serious anti-roll bars, camber plates and some serious weight reduction, but why bother?

http://www.pfyc.com/pc/WB4006/GPSUSP/Baer+Eradispeed+Big+Brake+Upgrade+-+97-03+Grand+Prix.html

http://www.pfyc.com/pc/WB4017/GPSUSP/KYB+AGX+Sport+Adjustable+Struts+-+W-body.html

http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GN4009/GPSUSP/Camber+Adjustment+Kits.html

http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GP4001/GPSUSP/Eibach+Pro+Kit+Lowering+Springs

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels

Mix with this...

http://www.pfyc.com/pc/WB3033/GPUNDER/Qwikchange+Supercharger+Pulley+System.html

Yeah, it's not the best in the world, but there is stuff out there (and bushings and sway bars as well). It'll never be an autocrosser, but it would make a good HPDE/Track Car.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/18/11 9:44 p.m.

How about an S-10 pickup? ZQ8 suspension pkg, standard cab, 4.3 auto and a 3.42 limited slip axle? And that's box stock! Should be low enough to get in and out of (the ZQ8 suspension brings it down quite a bit) Cheap parts, and plenty of room for stuff in the back. Should be classed in "H" stock if you're careful with the changes. You'll have a big power advantage over everyone.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Member
5/18/11 10:37 p.m.

what about something with a turbo 400 or 350 or a powerglide? i mean they are built to handle massive hp and torque.

Grizz
Grizz Reader
5/18/11 10:42 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: I'm not too certain of what small FWD auto transaxels would hold up well to racing, but some part of me says Dodge Shadow.

I don't think so. IIRC, the 3.0 in the Shadow is the same one that came in the vans, and the auto trannies in the vans sucked ass and blew up a lot. And the NA 4 bangers aren't going to do much performance wise, and lord knows how hard a turbo/AT car would be to find.

I nominate a 3.3 powered Lebaron. The older square ones.

Gubby
Gubby Reader
5/18/11 11:45 p.m.

Man, someone here read my mind!...I had the same question in mind as the OP--only I am thinking of doing some rallycross.

An F-body had come to mind, but what does anyone here think of an 04-05 Impala SS?

Grizz
Grizz Reader
5/18/11 11:56 p.m.
Gubby wrote: Man, someone here read my mind!...I had the same question in mind as the OP--only I am thinking of doing some rallycross. An F-body had come to mind, but what does anyone here think of an 04-05 Impala SS?

Look for an Ex-5oh version, it'd probably be cheaper and hold up better.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
5/19/11 2:29 a.m.

W-body prokit springs are horrible. Imagine going over a bump on the freeway and the car slamming into the bump stops hard enough to rattle all the interior plastic and bouncing enough (at least for someone in the back seat) to hit your head painfully hard on the roof. Not pleasant at all. If you would consider something that is that much of a boat, a W126 Mercedes would be worth looking at, mine handles alot better than my moms 99 gtp even with 400k mile crappy suspension.

mthomson22
mthomson22 New Reader
5/19/11 6:24 a.m.

The pickup option actually crossed my mind, recalling the Archer brothers racing efforts from years back.

Can't really get my head around anything from the Chrysler stable.

How stout is the ATX in say an 02-05 ZX3? I'm thinking header/catback and cai, so nothing over the top power-wise.

thanks for all of the great responses guys. mark

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
5/19/11 6:33 a.m.

What about a sequential manual? Motorcycle powered sevens make for wicked fast agile machinery.

KATYB
KATYB Reader
5/19/11 6:58 a.m.

i say dodge shadow 3.0 also... tranny is those isnt all that bad once u put a ginormous cool on it with a dedicated fan.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/19/11 7:21 a.m.

if you do end up with a focus and really get into the track day thing, you could set it up for spec focus racing.

focaljet.com is the most well know site for info on them, probably a good place to start for transmission research.

Steve Chryssos
Steve Chryssos Associate Publisher
5/19/11 10:23 a.m.

I would build a 924 or a 240SX with an LS engine and a 4L65E.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
5/19/11 10:48 a.m.
Javelin wrote: If you really insist on FWD I will still talk you out of any 4-banger (torqueless and therefore useless with an auto)

Get a first generation Neon Sport Coupe with a DOHC and an auto. It will have a well-proven and durable 3-speed, mechanically operated autobox, and the DOHC cars came with a slightly shorter final drive to make up for the higher power band.

Then get a junkyard 2.4 DOHC out of any of the Cloud Cars. Combine. It makes a great daily and would be fun as a racer too. Delete the A/C and install a trans cooler.

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
5/19/11 11:26 a.m.

How about a first generation MINI? They have an autobox with button shifters on the steering wheel. Or, if you're really ambitious, there's a kit to mount a Honda drivetrain in an old school Mini-you could put a Civic Si engine and slushbox in that and have a serious auto-x weapon and daily driver. Link to the kit: http://www.minimania.com/InvDetail.cfm?Item=MT510000

skierd
skierd Dork
5/19/11 11:53 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: How about an S-10 pickup? ZQ8 suspension pkg, standard cab, 4.3 auto and a 3.42 limited slip axle? And that's box stock! Should be low enough to get in and out of (the ZQ8 suspension brings it down quite a bit) Cheap parts, and plenty of room for stuff in the back. Should be classed in "H" stock if you're careful with the changes. You'll have a big power advantage over everyone.

Winner winner chicken dinner. Those are fun fun trucks! And you get a truck out of it too, instead of just another economy car.

failboat
failboat Reader
5/19/11 1:09 p.m.

my wifes car is a 03 Focus ZX5 2.0 auto. it doesnt ever get raced or pushed hard nearly ever, so I really cant speak on how awesome the transmission is, but it is a fun car to toss into corners even in stock form.

quick and responsive steering that has a nice feel to it. feels a lot better than my hyundai.

YaNi
YaNi Reader
5/19/11 2:39 p.m.

The FC (2nd gen) RX-7's autotragic is just abysmal. I bought one because the body was in good shape, and I nearly considered suicide on the drive home. A low torque engine with a slush box is not a performance vehicle. Modern automatics are worlds apart from their 80's/early 90's brethren.

The shift logic will drive you nuts unless you modify it to only shift when you tell it. I could see driving a newer tiptronic or DSG gearbox because they can hold a gear. Anything else will drive you nuts. I autocrossed my deceased cadavalier a few times and it would downshift to 1st at every corner.

FYI - The Porsche 968 was available with tiptronic. It's not cheap and about as rare as hen's teeth but is an option. You might be able to swap it into a 944s2.

mthomson22
mthomson22 New Reader
5/19/11 3:10 p.m.

I'm really liking what I'm reading about the ZX3, lots of support and a big online community.

What about a 2001 Golf GTI?

mark

Vigo
Vigo Dork
5/19/11 6:32 p.m.
I don't think so. IIRC, the 3.0 in the Shadow is the same one that came in the vans, and the auto trannies in the vans sucked ass and blew up a lot.

BS. Those trannies (3 and 4spd) have been in the 9s and 8s in the 1/4 behind 600+wtq engines. The only thing a stock 3 or 4spd shadow trans needs to be durable enough for a bolt-on autocross car is a shift kit and cooler for the 3spd, and just a cooler for the 4spd. The main reason they ever blow up is from being in loaded caravans well over 4000lbs with no trans cooler and no maintenance.

Neon Sport Coupe with a DOHC and an auto. It will have a well-proven and durable 3-speed, mechanically operated autobox

Bububutt thats the SAME transmission that's already been called 'sucks ass'!

How about an S-10 pickup? ZQ8 suspension pkg, standard cab, 4.3 auto and a 3.42 limited slip axle? And that's box stock! Should be low enough to get in and out of (the ZQ8 suspension brings it down quite a bit) Cheap parts, and plenty of room for stuff in the back. Should be classed in "H" stock if you're careful with the changes. You'll have a big power advantage over everyone.

I TOTALLY agree.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
5/19/11 7:16 p.m.
Vigo wrote: Bububutt thats the SAME transmission that's already been called 'sucks ass'!

I've seen 'em run sub-12 second runs in turbo Neons with minimal work. They only blow up if you run them into the ground with no maintenance.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kSpArUmmKPBpkEqUYe09rEFkC8Sf4ghyziirRibE0E2MuCnPzVxNsgw0xHa4xDb1