1 2
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/25/11 9:25 p.m.

The Miata's motor started banging around pretty violently on the drive home. I think it's terminal. Where do I get a 1.6 worth a snot or do I just grab the cheapest one from the JY and abuse it again?

Raze
Raze Dork
1/25/11 9:50 p.m.

I thought you were asking for Poopshovel, I'm sure he'll be along shortly...

Kramer
Kramer HalfDork
1/25/11 9:51 p.m.

I just noticed the difference between "awe poop" and "aw, poop".

Kramer
Kramer HalfDork
1/25/11 9:53 p.m.

Oh yeah-put new plug wires on it. That'll probably fix it.

peter
peter New Reader
1/25/11 9:54 p.m.

I think it's time you took up stamp collecting.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
1/26/11 7:22 a.m.

13b!

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
1/26/11 8:35 a.m.

time for nissan vq powah..

or

s2000 powah.

Is there a way to proper mount a srt4 turbo engine?

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
1/26/11 8:38 a.m.

Wasn't someone shifting an entire v8 swap on here for challenge money?

Javelin
1/26/11 8:39 a.m.
mndsm wrote: Wasn't someone shifting an entire v8 swap on here for challenge money?

Oh my, yes!

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
1/26/11 8:41 a.m.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=202312

awwww yeah.. you can do an srt4 swap with a supra r154 trans.. Awwwww yeah...

or sr20det?

Javelin
1/26/11 8:41 a.m.
peter wrote: I think it's time you took up stamp collecting.

We bought the car for $1250 from the sleeziest used car lot on Earth. It had a hardtop, so I basically paid full price for a hardtop and got a free Miata. We knew it had serious issues going in. Even including a "new" motor, I am way ahead of buying a nice one + hardtop. Honestly, I'd just buy a nice one next time.

I imagine it's just the bizarre head noise that sounded like a collapsed lifter coming back, but when entire 1.6's cost the same as a valve job you might as well pull the whole thing.

Javelin
1/26/11 8:43 a.m.
Ignorant wrote: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=202312 awwww yeah.. you can do an srt4 swap with a supra r154 trans.. Awwwww yeah...

That's really cool!

mw
mw HalfDork
1/26/11 9:03 a.m.

It's not that hard to put a 1.8 in there while you're at it....Someone is selling the tb adaptor for $45 on miataturbo.net

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
1/26/11 9:18 a.m.

Miata? Miatas are for girls. Drive a 1st gen. CRX like a berkeleying man.

Javelin
1/26/11 11:32 a.m.

WTF? I started it up this morning to see how many pistons were missing, and it ran perfect! No noises, no death throes, just a little blue smoke.

Maybe I should just put a fresh/JY head on it and see what happens...

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
1/26/11 11:53 a.m.

You should buy this instead-

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/200x-classifieds/complete-stand-alone-53-lsx-drivetrain/31138/page1/

Kramer
Kramer HalfDork
1/26/11 4:27 p.m.

I'm tellin' ya, your plug wires are goin' bad. I've had the exact same problem. And so have thousands of other Miata owners.

Javelin
1/26/11 4:48 p.m.

I seriously doubt that my 8-month old Magnecor wires have suddenly "gone bad" and now the motor makes random knocking noises whenever it feels like it. What could wires possibly do to make that happen? It's not running on 3-cylinders, I know that much....

Javelin
1/26/11 5:03 p.m.

Options:

1. Rebuild head, hope the bottom end is OK (has good compression) - $1250

2. Swap in JY motor with warranty (found a 117K mile one for $550 plus core and delivery) - $1500

3. Swap in a JY 1.8 with warranty (only $100 more form the JY plus $194 from FM) - $1800

4. Swap in a 5.0 like this car deserves, then break the rear diff - $2500

5. Sell it for another Miata, keeping my Hardtop and RoTa's - $1000

6. Sell it, the RoTa's, and the Hardtop, buy something else - ???

7. Profit!!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
1/26/11 5:22 p.m.

1.8 swap + boost...just the way god intended it

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
1/26/11 5:24 p.m.

SEAFOAM

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/26/11 5:26 p.m.

Think outside the box: How about a three cylinder, two-stroke Saab engine? If you really want to man the miata up a little, you could use a pair of them.

You'd want to do it mid-engine/RWD, though to get ride of the nasty understeer that setup caused.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
1/26/11 6:58 p.m.
Javelin wrote: I seriously doubt that my 8-month old Magnecor wires have suddenly "gone bad" and now the motor makes random knocking noises whenever it feels like it. What could wires possibly do to make that happen? It's not running on 3-cylinders, I know that much....

I've had to do it on both the 95 and the 99- and I'll bet the OEM wires are better than the Magnegcor.

Or the coil pack- they are pretty cheap, and I replaced mine recently, too.

Don't tear it apart, yet.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
1/26/11 8:17 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
Javelin wrote: I seriously doubt that my 8-month old Magnecor wires have suddenly "gone bad" and now the motor makes random knocking noises whenever it feels like it. What could wires possibly do to make that happen? It's not running on 3-cylinders, I know that much....
I've had to do it on both the 95 and the 99- and I'll bet the OEM wires are better than the Magnegcor. Or the coil pack- they are pretty cheap, and I replaced mine recently, too. Don't tear it apart, yet.

+1 for OEM wires and they're cheap to boot. Magnecors, or anything else not OEM, wires suck for Miatas.

Javelin
1/26/11 8:38 p.m.

For cereal? Well shoot. Guess I'll order a coil pack and a set of wires from Mazdaspeed and see what happens.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PNFpcancw6ky02ym1IkUOnbaQlTPh5ogA0vkwDRY9uHpEtjDSw2r52kQe2e0BJV5