1 2 3 4
The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
2/14/13 10:24 a.m.

I thought it was the total investment...I sit corrected.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
2/14/13 11:18 a.m.
The_Jed wrote: I thought it was the total investment...I sit corrected.

yeah, if they did that then people might ignore important stuff like brakes. That's why its always been a more "spirit of the idea" type thing than a hard and fast numbers game.

There was a team a few years ago that brought a 53 Plymouth, they bought it for a legit $350 but turned out it needed $2000 worth of transmission repair. Noone sweated them because driving 500+ miles a day in a 53 Plymouth is torturous.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
2/14/13 4:46 p.m.

Thoughts of attending and wondering "what can you buy for $500?" has me scouring the CLs. Some local gems:

$500

Asking $650

Asking $850 but does not run

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/14/13 4:56 p.m.

Sign me up for that truck!

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
2/14/13 11:09 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Sign me up for that truck!

Agreed, that truck rocks!

That's always been one of the fun parts of BABE for me, seeing what I can find. On average I buy and end up fixing and selling 3-5 cars before the event actually happens. Over on the BABE forum they are taking odds on whether or not I actually show up with the Colony Park or something else.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
2/14/13 11:17 p.m.
JThw8 wrote: And even this...

more info on this lil giant?

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
2/14/13 11:17 p.m.

also, talked to my college advisor....BABE rally is same week as my college graduation ceremony.... &Q#(%(Q#%*O ARGGGGG

i gotta do somethin about this

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
2/14/13 11:24 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: also, talked to my college advisor....BABE rally is same week as my college graduation ceremony.... &Q#(%(Q#%*O ARGGGGG i gotta do somethin about this

Ceremonies are overrated. You show up on BABE (and remind me) and we'll have a BABE style graduation ceremony for you.

As for the truck, one of the hardcore teams, brought an AMC Matador in 09 and ended up having to do a head gasket job in the parking lot on day 3, picked that puppy up and they're gonna run it. It was some kinda inside deal to get it for that price but again, you show up with the weird and noone will sweat you.

I've been promised a biturbo at least 5 times now, noone has actually had the huevos to do it. In fact this year will mark the first ever Italian car as one team just picked up a Lancia Beta.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
2/14/13 11:26 p.m.

and for the horndogs in the group, I was on a flight to Vegas today, for a change the seat next to me was not filled by a sweaty businessman but a hottie redhead AF reservist. We chatted and somehow got to talking about the rally (not surprising, I have 3 topics, GRM Challenge, BABE Rally and animal rescue) she was in loooove with the idea and is talking about putting together a team with her sisters and girlfriends.....

I dunno...just a little motivation ;)

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
2/15/13 6:29 a.m.

I'm in, not missing it again and the wife was warning last year.

Plus, babes on the BABE.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
2/15/13 9:40 a.m.

Just looked at the dates again and realized it's right about when my in-laws come to visit for a week every spring. I like visiting with them, but they really come to see the kids, not me. Time to make a pleading call and see what happens.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
2/15/13 9:55 a.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: also, talked to my college advisor....BABE rally is same week as my college graduation ceremony.... &Q#(%(Q#%*O ARGGGGG i gotta do somethin about this

You want remember your ceremony except for being bored as hell. Skip and do the BABE rally.

I wish I had the time off to do it.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
2/16/13 7:43 p.m.

More local options:
Half a million miles and JDM Yo!

The much loved and very popular '91 Dodge Monaco $800
What is the chance of Autozone having any part "in-stock" for one of these?

4g63t
4g63t HalfDork
2/16/13 7:52 p.m.

I won't bitch Resurrecting the Fast Galant 1.06 with tax

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/17/13 7:06 p.m.

I'd love to do this but my ride along buddies:

1 - Didn't like my idea of a saws-all convertible. I thought it would be funny to drive it in the rain with Gordon's Fisherman style rain gear.

2 - They're all talk, little action.

Therefore, what pleasant GRM'ers would be willing to spend a day or so in a car along the route?

4g63t
4g63t HalfDork
2/17/13 7:10 p.m.

This year's theme is rally cars and I'm doing it in a Galant VR4 which is a rally car

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
2/17/13 7:14 p.m.

JTHW8....

talked to the guys and the Murder Wagon (1973 Dodge motorhome) is almost entirely out of the picture.

However a buddy just picked up and turbo diesel Benz under budget and offered to go. So after a night of beer we got a team of 4 and we should know this week if everyone is in and if its gonna happen.

They love the idea of it and are excited but its a matter of getting time off work at this point

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
2/17/13 9:50 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: I'd love to do this but my ride along buddies: 1 - Didn't like my idea of a saws-all convertible. I thought it would be funny to drive it in the rain with Gordon's Fisherman style rain gear.

The event organizers dont like the idea either. There is a specific ban on home made convertibles. Dont do it.

CarKid1989 wrote: JTHW8.... talked to the guys and the Murder Wagon (1973 Dodge motorhome) is almost entirely out of the picture. However a buddy just picked up and turbo diesel Benz under budget and offered to go. So after a night of beer we got a team of 4 and we should know this week if everyone is in and if its gonna happen. They love the idea of it and are excited but its a matter of getting time off work at this point

most good BABE stories start with "...after a night of beer...."

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/18/13 10:05 a.m.
JThw8 wrote:
Xceler8x wrote: I'd love to do this but my ride along buddies: 1 - Didn't like my idea of a saws-all convertible. I thought it would be funny to drive it in the rain with Gordon's Fisherman style rain gear.
The event organizers dont like the idea either. There is a specific ban on home made convertibles. Dont do it.

No problem! There's all sorts of automotive chicanery to get into once you get creative! For that idea you could use a real convertible with no top.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
2/18/13 4:11 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote:
JThw8 wrote:
No problem! There's all sorts of automotive chicanery to get into once you get creative! For that idea you could use a real convertible with no top.

Yep absolutely no problem doing it in a factory built convertible. Most of the long term teams have been stupid enough to go in a topless 'vert at least once, its a terrible experience.

Although from my personal history there's nothing quite like bombing through the tail of the dragon, in the pouring rain, with no top on a 68 Olds 88 'vert

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
2/18/13 4:36 p.m.

Registration opened today, for a limited time it is $250 instead of the normal $300

BABE8 Signup is now open! Entry fee is $250 for a limited time now. This is the FINAL BABE Rally. There will be no more BABE Rallies, or even rallies by StreetSafari in the US after this one. This is it folks, if you've been putting it off, now is the time.

http://www.streetsafari.com/streetsafari-events/bigapple2bigeasy-babe-rally/entering-babe-rally-2013/

Flight Service
Flight Service PowerDork
2/18/13 4:38 p.m.

What would keep someone from doing another BABE rally without the current SteetSafari support?

Just wait the required time and trademark the name?

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
2/18/13 6:37 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: What would keep someone from doing another BABE rally without the current SteetSafari support? Just wait the required time and trademark the name?

The question has been asked many times. First off why even use the name? At least have a bit more originality and do something somewhat new. Secondly, having a wife who is a professional meeting and event planner, and having looked "behind the scenes" for a few years now on BABE I'd just say that organizing something on this scale is a much larger undertaking than most people appreciate. The fact that someone could look at this event, or say something like the GRM challenge and think that it looks easy to do one your self speaks volumes to how well done it really was behind the scenes.

To do it well requires time, skills and resources that not everyone has at their disposal. Also having been both a competitor and having worked on staff for an event or two I can honestly say the event looses a lot of its appeal when you are running the show, it's not quite the fun fest you might believe. So in addition to the time, skills and resources you'd better either really love the "work" side of it or have something else to motivate you.

All that being said, I would never rule out the idea of someone trying it, but you never know if they are going to hit the mark that has been set by the original or not.

So, if you really want to know what the excitement is all about I'd plan to go on this one :)

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
2/18/13 6:49 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: The much loved and very popular '91 Dodge Monaco $800 What is the chance of Autozone having any part "in-stock" for one of these?

yeah, a Dodge that's really an Eagle, which in turn was an AMC, and started out as a Renault. I wonder if it has that awesome PRV v6 in it or the flaccid 2.5 AMC?

EDIT: if I would have clicked the link, I'd noticed the v6 mentioned.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
2/18/13 6:52 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Asking $850 but does not run

Its kinda sorta a lada isn't it? (meaning the lada was based off this model Fiat?)

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NkDm6n1ssPhZgHJ5TRMCkTyv9uICRHHQBc2HzyoY75hb7om0nT48Uncu7oglnemX