1 2 3 4
JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
2/18/13 7:42 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote:
JohnRW1621 wrote: Asking $850 but does not run
Its kinda sorta a lada isn't it? (meaning the lada was based off this model Fiat?)

Yes, the Lada and the Yugo have relationships to the Fiat 128.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
2/19/13 10:46 p.m.

So let me use this thread for some "market research" if you will. I've been on this event every year, I love this event although I don't know that I could adequately quantify why. It's something different to everyone who participates.

So, if you've considered doing this but haven't then I'm honestly trying to understand...WHY?

What addition, subtraction, change would make you sign on the line and join the fun? If you like the idea but can't commit what do you need to change to make you join in? If you've been on the event before but haven't returned what do you need to get you on board for a return?

Purely an satisfying intellectual curiosity as everyone seems to love the idea but getting people to join in and commit is a much different story.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
2/20/13 6:41 a.m.

My kids are the only block. I'm a stay at home dad so if I'm gone then I either have to take them with me or my wife has to use her vacation so I can play. Give me 10 years and I'll be there. I suspect that time in some form or another is the biggest problem for most people.
If the event was regional and a Friday/Saturday/Sunday format then I'd sign right up. Sort of a goofy on road 24 hours of lemons. The question is, if it was changed that much then would anyone care?
I think there is a gap between SCCA road rally and BABE that could be filled. Two day rolling celebration of cars/party/minor competition. Hell, do it right and invade a local autocross (or better, rallycross) as part of the event.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
2/20/13 12:01 p.m.

Well people have brought kids on the event before.

I agree a series of smaller regional events could be good but it is resource intensive. You'd almost have to be committed to it as a full time job at that point.

The early events were only 4 days over a long weekend everyone said they wanted more so it was moved to a full week event but maybe the original format makes more sense.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/20/13 12:44 p.m.

For me it's finding the fools willing to join my team. I'm working that angle.

The next hurdle is vacation time. I've got it, this year. Others may not be so kind.

Hurdle #3 is finding a car that'll make the trip. Maybe that's not as integral as I'm anticipating? I'm a BABE virgin so I'm planning for a conservative outing of very few mechanicals so I can finish the rally in New Orleans without relying tremendously on the generosity of fellow rallyists.

tpwalsh
tpwalsh Reader
2/20/13 1:31 p.m.

Got the vacation time, got the "family time", even got a car, don't have a budget.

02Pilot
02Pilot HalfDork
2/20/13 2:43 p.m.

I'd think I'd be a lot more likely to do it again (I ran in 2009) in the long-weekend format rather than the full week. As interesting an experience as it was, I've not been compelled to do it again; never really thought about why until now. Thinking back, I wasn't a huge fan of some of the challenges (the mailbox one made me want to stab myself), and overall they imposed a fair bit of rigidity and time consumption. I would also have liked a little more time to socialize with the other teams at the end of the day. It seemed just a little too exhausting to be a recreational activity, at least over that much time; I know some people revel in the challenges, the long days, and the constant mechanical worries, but even with no serious car issues, I found myself a bit too wiped out to really enjoy myself. But then I'm old.

mw
mw Dork
2/20/13 2:51 p.m.

Last year was my first time on the rally. It was a great time for sure. Of my four team mates, two have had kids in the last month and one moved to Japan. I'm sure I could find another team, but it's the time away from home that's the real problem. I got greedy last year and spent the weekend in new Orleans, so I ended up being gone for 9 days. My wife and daughter didn't love that. If it was four days, I'd be there for sure.

I didn't know the event was kid friendly. I think it would still be a little too much driving for my 4 year old.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
2/21/13 6:47 a.m.
02Pilot wrote: Thinking back, I wasn't a huge fan of some of the challenges (the mailbox one made me want to stab myself), and overall they imposed a fair bit of rigidity and time consumption. I would also have liked a little more time to socialize with the other teams at the end of the day.

Yes, 09 was a bit of a turning point. The organizer heard alot of feedback about the challenges that year from not only participants but from his partner. The whole point of the challenges is they should be road games that can be done to kill time while driving and there has been a definite shift back toward that mentality with the games. Or so Im told, I haven't run competitively for quite awhile, I just do it for fun and skip the games.

Totally agree with you about the social aspect and for those teams which do return that is their primary motivation, to get to see all the friends they made on previous rallies.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
2/21/13 6:49 a.m.
mw wrote: I didn't know the event was kid friendly. I think it would still be a little too much driving for my 4 year old.

As much as it can be a rough and rowdy crowd it never ceases to amaze me how fast they straighten up when a kid shows up. I do agree it would be a lot of time in a car for a 5 year old. In 06 (I think they all blend) a guy brought his 8 year old daughter and she was the life of the party. There have been other kids and families on the events through the years as well but that one sticks out in my mind because that kid was hilarious :)

Flight Service
Flight Service PowerDork
2/21/13 7:34 a.m.
tpwalsh wrote: Got the vacation time, got the "family time", even got a car, don't have a budget.

Budget and schedule are whats blocking me. Damn soft housing market

02Pilot
02Pilot HalfDork
2/21/13 8:39 a.m.
JThw8 wrote:
02Pilot wrote: Thinking back, I wasn't a huge fan of some of the challenges (the mailbox one made me want to stab myself), and overall they imposed a fair bit of rigidity and time consumption. I would also have liked a little more time to socialize with the other teams at the end of the day.
Yes, 09 was a bit of a turning point. The organizer heard alot of feedback about the challenges that year from not only participants but from his partner. The whole point of the challenges is they should be road games that can be done to kill time while driving and there has been a definite shift back toward that mentality with the games. Or so Im told, I haven't run competitively for quite awhile, I just do it for fun and skip the games. Totally agree with you about the social aspect and for those teams which do return that is their primary motivation, to get to see all the friends they made on previous rallies.

I'm glad to hear that the challenges have been toned down; something designed to pass the time on a road trip makes perfect sense. That said, if I were to run again, I would take a very casual attitude toward the games.

I think this year may be very difficult to make happen, but if it's reinvented in a long-weekend format in the future, I'd be up for it.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/21/13 5:22 p.m.

I'm thinking this is the last chance to complete the trifecta. And I've got the perfect ride for this... anyone got a hardtop for a miata they wanna loan me for lemons?

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
2/21/13 6:11 p.m.
Spinout007 wrote: I'm thinking this is the last chance to complete the trifecta. And I've got the perfect ride for this... anyone got a hardtop for a miata they wanna loan me for lemons?

I don't think Lemons requires a hard top unless that's something they just added this year.

Spinout007
2/21/13 6:15 p.m.

More worried about comfort. :D

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
2/21/13 6:21 p.m.
Spinout007 wrote: More worried about comfort. :D

Bob Costas

Spinout007
2/21/13 6:57 p.m.

There might be some aero and mpg concerns there to. I don't think a soft top will close over a cage, and a diesel miata's strength is probably going to be less stops per race.

Spinout007
3/14/13 7:00 p.m.

Still debating on this one. Just got an email the other day from one of our paintball sponsors wanting my team at an event the weekend after this... this is gonna hurt the checkbook.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
3/18/13 6:24 a.m.

My wife is going to kill me.

I know the entry fee is $250-$300 but what is the actual cost of participating?

I need to start crunching numbers to see if I can even get my hopes up for doing something completely foolhardy and ill-advised...if nothing else, I think this would be a fitting death for the Scoob.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
3/18/13 6:31 a.m.

Being optimistic and including a round trip it looks like about $450 in gas, filling up every 200 miles or so since I never bothered to fix the fuel gauge.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
3/18/13 6:33 a.m.

Just spit-balling here:

$40 for oil might be a safe assumption as well...

I'll just round up to $50 to make it a total of $500 to feed the car.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
3/18/13 7:08 a.m.

On top of "feed the car" you have feed yourself and hotel costs. Hotels average $60-$70 a night except for New Orleans which is usually $100-$125 (because nothing is cheap in New Orleans) At least with the start moved out of NYC this year you avoid the $130 hotel in NY as well.

It's not terrible if you have a few teammates to split it with, if you are going solo then post up on the message boards and you may find another team looking to split hotel costs.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
3/18/13 7:19 a.m.

I was planning to rough it...mostly. Maybe 1 or 2 nights in a Hotel.

If you wear flip-flops, truck stop showers aren't that bad...

I was planning my road diet around peanut butter and protein powder.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
3/18/13 7:20 a.m.

Being newly laid off, I have time and a car, but not much money.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
3/18/13 7:29 a.m.
The_Jed wrote: I was planning to rough it...mostly. Maybe 1 or 2 nights in a Hotel. If you wear flip-flops, truck stop showers aren't that bad... I was planning my road diet around peanut butter and protein powder.

If you "parking lot camp" a) keep it low key and the hotels usually don't notice with all the other craziness we have going on. b) ask any other team (come find me in the Colony Park) and I'm sure you can borrow a shower.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LIDsYEXFCdCxeXl3SRfKq0s3RR0Qklcsue2VDKv81oFUPXydpAX709cI7Rq6cLuT