stroker
stroker SuperDork
6/24/15 1:28 p.m.

Anyone know anything about 'em?

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UberDork
6/24/15 2:01 p.m.

I worked on one for a customer. Seemed to be a nice piece of kit.

I want to say that the suspension was E46 BMW? Struts up front with the BMW IRS. Had a ridiculously loud big block Ford in it with unbaffled side pipes so I really couldn't stand to drive it long enough to get a real impression. berkeleying fast as hell though.

Some of the fit and finish stuff was below par, but mechanically it was solid. I had to raise the roll hoop for the guy so he could pass the broom stick test with his helmet and the hoop was sealed with approximately 6 full size cartridges of clear silicone haphazardly squirted near the holes. It took like 6 hours to remove the three bolts that held the hoop in place and move it up to the next set of mounting holes. Required a portapower and big levers. I think the hoop was under bent so it was jamming in the receiver tubes, plus the crap job sealing the hoops let water travel down there and rusted it up. Trunk carpeting was pretty poor.

If one could make it quiet enough that I could drive it without ear plugs and muffs at the same time I would love to put some miles in on one. You could hear it coming from over a quarter mile away.

It was a 6 month process to get a title issued for it here in Oregon. The guy had to get a lawyer involved and it was eventually registered as a 1966 "replica"

Edit: I should point out that this car was purchased as a turn key car from Backdraft. Was not a kit, fully assembled.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
6/24/15 3:36 p.m.

Backdraft makes a darn good car with BMW suspension as stated above the fit and finish is not the greatest. Some of that is the supplied parts some of that is the kit itself.

you buy a backdraft to have a comfortable cobra that you can DD on sunny months. If you want to go fast buy a factory five spec car and go nuts with the adjustable uppers and lower control arms and have a set of shocks made by breeze or find and fit some motons.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
6/25/15 6:11 a.m.

It's been a while since I was in the Cobra community, but the Backdraft cars were well regarded for the most part. They come as a rolling chassis, as opposed to FFR which is a kit. Uses BMW 3 series suspension pieces, not 100% which generation, but E46 sounds right. Only complaints I heard were that the some of the BMW bits used weren't up to handling the power if you dropped big block in it. But again, that was a few years back.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T18O1FTZ3okPKPmTBjPezfuuEN09bbS266PJdiIvpYEsQtKes9phdPrxm3JuFw79