1 2 3 4
Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/14/14 10:11 a.m.

My problem with the Exploder is.. literally everything else about it. :P

I dont think i've EVER enjoyed driving or working on one until the 3rd gen model with IRS and 5spd auto, and even then i wouldnt want to own it. The first one i drove was after we did a $2k+ trans fix on it.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
12/14/14 10:54 a.m.

2nd gen Explorer's with the 5.0 come with a completely different transmission then their V6 brethren. It can handle the juice, but I think it's a 4spd.

Keep in mind the 5.0 / 4spd combo was available in RWD and AWD platforms. The RWD was rare, but there is tons of the 2nd gen out there. Our 2nd gen was the absolute most reliable vehicle we gave owned.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
12/14/14 11:23 a.m.

Man, I totally forgot about the XP8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMZZ_D4qE9M

Pretty impressive performance and it looks like it must have some HUGE sway bars!

penultimeta
penultimeta New Reader
12/14/14 11:36 a.m.
skierd wrote: I've had the desire to build a 1st gen CRV with what ever boosted up b-series hybrid you can fit under the hood. B20 vtec with a turbo or even an old Jackson Racing supercharger kit, add suspension, soup.

Me too. I DD'd a green '97 CR-V for a while. Besides its craptastic autotragic, it was good mix of streetability, practicality, and enjoyability. The B20 actually makes great midrange power and I always thought a manual swap, a bit of suspension tweaking, and boost would make for an entertaining ride.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/14/14 8:07 p.m.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/14/14 9:34 p.m.

Problem with that is that for 5k you cant do ANYTHING to a vehicross except buy a stock one, MAYBE.

I've been down this road a little ways. I went and looked at the only one i could afford and it was thrashed so bad i didnt want it, and i buy a lot of cars with broken engines if that says anything. I am definitely interested in them and ive read that their handling was actually very good, but you couldnt do up a cool one on a small budget.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
12/15/14 8:35 a.m.

What was the 5 speed auto like in the later 4.0L Explorers? Could you add a couple of small turbo's to one of those instead?

As for the XP8 I thought that most of those just had the suspension and gaudy body kit, I didn't think they all came with the Supercharged engines.

How much room is there under the hood of the V8 Explorers? Rather than adding forced induction I'd go for a late 351 roller block from a Bronco, keep the Explorer heads with a port match and compression bump. 351 GT40 lower intake and Explorer upper intake, again port matched. Add a mild came and roller rockers with some decent short tube headers. That will not be a power house, but it will be a relative torque monster. That was the combo I had in my SN95 Mustang. It only made 280/290ish hp, but was a solid 350lb/ft of torque, that would feel great in a heavier vehicle like an Explorer, especially if stuck with the 4 speed auto.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/15/14 1:43 p.m.

Wow, look what just popped up on the local CL:

1999 XP8

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/15/14 3:19 p.m.
edizzle89 wrote: also 1st gen rav4 awd manual can be had for cheap, then swap a 4th gen 3sgte (~250 hp) in, it bolts straight to the rav4 awd trans basically a budget alltrac

Yeah. And the rear diff is LSD as well, at least on mine. Koni's are on order.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
12/15/14 6:49 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One: I'm not a SUV guy, but why don't people rallycross XJs and other suv's more?

Mike
12/15/14 6:51 p.m.

http://www.classifiedads.com/suvs-ad132830573.htm

http://www.easyautosales.com/used-cars/2001-Mercedes-Benz-M-Class-ML55-AMG-118655618.html

Sure, the ads are sketchier than Craigslist, but it may be possible to get an ML55 AMG in your budget.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
12/15/14 6:59 p.m.

The five liter Sploders came with 4R70W autos which will hold a good amount of power stock an a lot modified. Not sure what trans the awds got though. Only the v6 2dr sports were factory manual...but that means three pedal sets bolt in...

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
12/15/14 7:32 p.m.

How about an awd first gen Ford Escape with the 3.0 Duratec with a little bit of this: http://www.6crew.com/forum/showthread.php?3996-N-A-power-mods-stage-1-to-boost

It's just a bit over 200 hp already.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
12/15/14 8:05 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

The 5R55 in the 4.0L Exploders has some issues at stock power levels. It will slip on the 2-3 up shift and that is the sign that it is on the way out.

I am not sure I would throw turbos at it.

I think the 351 would fit.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
12/16/14 6:46 a.m.
penultimeta wrote:
skierd wrote: I've had the desire to build a 1st gen CRV with what ever boosted up b-series hybrid you can fit under the hood. B20 vtec with a turbo or even an old Jackson Racing supercharger kit, add suspension, soup.
Me too. I DD'd a green '97 CR-V for a while. Besides its craptastic autotragic, it was good mix of streetability, practicality, and enjoyability. The B20 actually makes great midrange power and I always thought a manual swap, a bit of suspension tweaking, and boost would make for an entertaining ride.

the awd on the cr-v isnt ideal though as its not full time, the rear wheels only get power when the front wheels slip via what is basically a hydraulically engaged center diff and it cant handle a lot of power

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/16/14 6:55 a.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: In reply to Swank Force One: I'm not a SUV guy, but why don't people rallycross XJs and other suv's more?

I think it's a rules thing? Not real sure. I don't really know much about rallyx/rally rules, other than that i'm told i can't enter an XJ into SnoDrift.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
12/16/14 8:34 a.m.
Mike wrote: http://www.classifiedads.com/suvs-ad132830573.htm http://www.easyautosales.com/used-cars/2001-Mercedes-Benz-M-Class-ML55-AMG-118655618.html Sure, the ads are sketchier than Craigslist, but it may be possible to get an ML55 AMG in your budget.

What are the AMG specs? That could all set out of the box.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
12/16/14 8:43 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: In reply to Swank Force One: I'm not a SUV guy, but why don't people rallycross XJs and other suv's more?
I think it's a rules thing? Not real sure. I don't really know much about rallyx/rally rules, other than that i'm told i can't enter an XJ into SnoDrift.

Many groups have rules that you can't rally-X SUV's or trucks due to the high CG. The club that I have run with evaluates each vehicle on its own. Jacked up in the air - No. Standard suspension - typically you can run.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
12/16/14 8:42 p.m.

Great. Now I want a v8 Exploder again...

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/16/14 8:55 p.m.

Another vote for a boxy S10 blazer. Relatively light, easily swallows any V8, cheap stuff. For $5k you can make a nice one.

The Trailblazer SS was quick, but I had a I-6 version and everything else about it sucked donkey balls. Horrid seats, terrible handling, stiff ride... Lets just say I was SO glad when it got totaled and I got a nice check for it.

JFX001
JFX001 UberDork
12/17/14 3:50 p.m.

I don't think Saleen even knows how many XP8' were supercharged.

You could also try and do a GRM version of this :

www.motortrend.com/roadtests/tuners/112_0010_ford_svt_thunder_performance_trends/

Mike
12/17/14 3:59 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Mike wrote: http://www.classifiedads.com/suvs-ad132830573.htm http://www.easyautosales.com/used-cars/2001-Mercedes-Benz-M-Class-ML55-AMG-118655618.html Sure, the ads are sketchier than Craigslist, but it may be possible to get an ML55 AMG in your budget.
What are the AMG specs? That could all set out of the box.

I'd describe it as fast and powerful for its day. Car and Driver has specs, and they nearly flipped it.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/mercedes-benz-ml55-amg-lorinson-k43-renntech-ml60rs-stillen-gtm-430-s-c-specialty-file

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
12/17/14 5:18 p.m.
JFX001 wrote: I don't think Saleen even knows how many XP8' were supercharged. You could also try and do a GRM version of this : www.motortrend.com/roadtests/tuners/112_0010_ford_svt_thunder_performance_trends/

Isn't the current Explorer with the 3.5Ecoboost more powerful and faster than that? (along with most trucks in this thread?) Things have come a long way...

JFX001
JFX001 UberDork
12/17/14 5:39 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
JFX001 wrote: I don't think Saleen even knows how many XP8' were supercharged. You could also try and do a GRM version of this : www.motortrend.com/roadtests/tuners/112_0010_ford_svt_thunder_performance_trends/
Isn't the current Explorer with the 3.5Ecoboost more powerful and faster than that? (along with most trucks in this thread?) Things have come a long way...

I dunno, that is an Expedition with 360hp/440tq that goes 0-60 in 5.6 and does the 1/4 in 14.4 @ 95.8 mph. Pretty much what was asked for.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
12/17/14 5:51 p.m.

I won't deny its what was asked for (although I'd still be afraid of rolling it over), just pointing out that power in this category has come a long way in the past 15 years and now the current Expedition Ecoboost is 365hp/420tq, although its quite a the porker and is slower. The explorer is closer in weight and does the 1/4 in 14.2

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5t5jP0qt7ui3GqUgZ4syTytm9LSmjqPX4zxPAWkOL6OBH9LMlBi0jMkYx3rPQtpO