1 2
pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/15 3:00 p.m.

The G8 GT has a strong transmission, and with some programming it can be pretty snappy. I would think that, depending on the track, the torque of the G8 would help a lot and allow you to focus on other things.

orphancars
orphancars Reader
1/9/15 3:07 p.m.

Have a Mk VI GTi w/DSG that I'm prepping for autox use. Try one out -- I was amazed. Was even more amazed when I saw one up close at an autox. Definitely worth a look as it ticks all your OP boxes (boxen?)........saw a local guy turning in awesome times with only brake pads, rear sway, and 200 TW tires as mods.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/9/15 6:36 p.m.

Audi TT V6

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/9/15 6:44 p.m.

Maseratis can be had in this price range. I was going to put this sketchy looking one in the Craigslist thread, but it's at half of the budget here. Double your money, and you'd get one that was still worth a damn.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/4822034206.html

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
1/9/15 7:15 p.m.

The Frisbee Twins have this covered. With a new car warranty tossed in. Just so happens they can also carry their own race tires to the track...try that with a used Porch.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
1/10/15 10:15 a.m.

Best car you can get like this in the price range is a used Evo X. Minime GTR. If this is the type of car you want that is the car to buy. Why look at anything else really.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/10/15 11:07 a.m.

968.... 20k would get you an excellent example leaving 10k for upgrades and spares for the track.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/10/15 11:12 a.m.

Given how all over the place our recommendations are, I think the OP might want to clarify if he wants a dual clutch transmission (like the DSG or the Evo transmission) or if a normal automatic with buttons or paddles is fine.

For the latter, 996s with tiptronics are also pretty cheap these days.

@dean1484, I've seen 968s with the tiptronic out here in really nice shape for $10k. That would leave even more money for upgrades.

bigmackloud
bigmackloud New Reader
1/10/15 11:46 a.m.

Yea my original intent of the question was for true dual clutch transmissions. Plenty of cars have a tiptronic type autos but often they really aren't suited for real track use. My wife's 06 TL has tiptronic but I wouldn't begin to consider it for real track use. The only way i could feel ok about tracking a car without a true manual is if it were a dual clutch setup that could technically shift faster than I can.

dean1484
1/10/15 12:26 p.m.

Me feeling about duel clutch versus tiptronic is that my driving talent would need to improve before that was really a factor. Also since this is a duel purpose vehicle I would be much more interested in its street manors than all out track performance.

I have driven a 968 tiptronic on track and I really enjoyed it. To the point that it will be the replacement for my current Porsche.

dean1484
1/10/15 12:30 p.m.

Re the $$$$. I was thinking of between 10-12k for the car then another 8k in maintence and some upgrades. That leaves 10 k for the addition of racing bit like tires and wheels. Cadge or a bar. Seats. Hell a set of nice seats could set you back a fair bit of coin. Shocks and struts and or coil overs. what is left over is for spares and consumables.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bqGyXEhIG4IQdTP8XfQEIrH1WxzpIl4bzJuMd0YYEZ3KuH2wdpYn2mpnof2brxqh