1 2
Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/4/15 9:10 p.m.

The one thing i really hate about 99-00 Miatas vs 01-05 Miatas is their terrible light output.

I know that bulbs won't fix everything but it might hold me through for awhile.

What's everyone's favorite bulb that will do fine on stock wiring?

I was recommended the Phillips Xtreme Visions.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
2/4/15 10:14 p.m.

I am using these on the Montero. I had some similar ones I got from Daniel Stern at Daniel Stern lighting. They seem to be very bright

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000COBLKW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
2/4/15 10:20 p.m.

I ran the 80/100W Osram bulbs, but I had an upgraded H4 harness from Daniel Stern. He was pretty clear that he didn't think my stock harness could withstand a bulb with that level of beefiness.

They didn't last very long, either. Less than three months of daily headlight use before the low-beam blew out on one.

old_
old_ Reader
2/4/15 10:22 p.m.

Small drops in voltage can cause huge deficiencies in light output. Stock headlight wiring is usually pretty bad. You need to make a dedicated relay harness so the bulbs can get full power. They are easy to make and can make a big difference.

Check out the candlepowerforums automotive section for advice.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?87-Automotive-Motorcycles-Included

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/15 10:37 p.m.

Install a set of 01-05 lights :) They'll fit well enough in the nose that most won't notice, and they're probably the best upgrade you could make.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
2/4/15 11:16 p.m.

Actually I ran the Osram also thats the other brand I used one of em still works one low beam lasted about a year. I did not do anything with the wiring on the Montero at least

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/4/15 11:26 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Install a set of 01-05 lights :) They'll fit well enough in the nose that most won't notice, and they're probably the best upgrade you could make.

That's the long term plan, but a pair of those headlights isn't really in the budget right now.

How far off does it look? I ask because i was planning on the Supermiata air dam and that's NB1 fitment as far as i know.

pjbgravely
pjbgravely Reader
2/5/15 12:13 a.m.

Every car I have gets Sylvania SilverStar Ultra headlight bulbs. They are very bright and they seem to last a long time. I never had a problem with the stock wiring but I usually have Fords.

spandak
spandak New Reader
2/5/15 1:54 a.m.

Sylvania Xtravision had the best output-lifespan of any bulb I have used. The Ultras are very good for about 3 months, after that they dim considerably. I have not tried the Silverstars. Note: My car uses 9006 lowbeams, I assume the results would be similar though.

In reply to the wiring harness comments, check the voltage at the bulb with the car running. If you arent getting the same voltage +/- ~0.2 volts with respect to the alternator you should consider a relay harness.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/15 6:41 a.m.

PIAA Xtreme White are good. Or if you don't care about blinding oncoming drivers, Cree LEDs.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/5/15 9:04 a.m.
spandak wrote: Sylvania Xtravision had the best output-lifespan of any bulb I have used. The Ultras are very good for about 3 months, after that they dim considerably. I have not tried the Silverstars. Note: My car uses 9006 lowbeams, I assume the results would be similar though. In reply to the wiring harness comments, check the voltage at the bulb with the car running. If you arent getting the same voltage +/- ~0.2 volts with respect to the alternator you should consider a relay harness.

I'll be looking into the harness regardless, there's an issue with the passenger side.

The design on these cars just isn't very good, so if i can get a marked improvement with $40 of bulbs, then i'm going to do it, no matter what happens on the wiring standpoint.

nokincy
nokincy New Reader
2/5/15 12:12 p.m.

PIAA Xtreme White gets another vote from me. They seem to outlast the Sylvania's and are a bit brighter as well.

I've put them in several cars including my Miata and noticed an improvement in all of them.

daeman
daeman Reader
2/5/15 12:12 p.m.

40 should buy you a hid kit, it'll be nice and bright. Should plug into your existing loom though you usually need to hook one wire up to the battery. I doubt you'll find a a hallogen globe brighter.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/5/15 12:22 p.m.
daeman wrote: 40 should buy you a hid kit, it'll be nice and bright. Should plug into your existing loom though you usually need to hook one wire up to the battery. I doubt you'll find a a hallogen globe brighter.

No way in hell i'm going to be that shiny happy person that puts an HID kit into a halogen housing.

asoduk
asoduk Reader
2/5/15 12:34 p.m.

Hella HL78158 http://www.rallylights.com/h-412-hella-h4-9003-hb2-12volt-halogen-bulb.html

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/5/15 12:48 p.m.

Suppose that begs the next question... At what wattage does the NB1 need a harness upgrade?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/5/15 12:56 p.m.

I got a set of lenses and bulbs from FM and they have been great. I really don't remember what they were exactly but they were supposed to be for stock wiring. I think I have had them for 4 or 5 years? May be more? I have not had to replace a bulb yet.

dean1484
2/5/15 12:58 p.m.

What ever these were this is what I got and they are MUCH better than advertised.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/lights.php

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/5/15 1:08 p.m.

Sylvania XtraVisions used to be the same as the SilverStars without the blue tint, at about 1/2 the cost of the SilverStars. When I've run SilverStars they seem to blow out pretty frequently (every 6 months to 1 year).

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/5/15 1:17 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: What ever these were this is what I got and they are MUCH better than advertised. http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/lights.php

Was this for a 90-97?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/5/15 2:08 p.m.

I put the 55W amazon sourced HID sets in the RAV4. They are really bright and well worth the $40. Yeah, I'll be That Guy, if it keeps me from whacking a deer on the way into work. Note that I had a problem with one ballast. It wouldn't start right up when it was really cold. An email to the seller about the problem brought the suggestion to swap bulbs to make sure it was the ballast and not the bulb. A few weeks later (had to wait for another cold snap) and it did it again. One more email brought a replacement ballast in the mail, no BS, no return your dead one, nothing, just sent it. I'm thinking about putting them in the 98 LS400 too. The 99 has OEM HID's. The housings are the same, but the HID version also has auto leveling.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/5/15 2:18 p.m.

If i go HIDs, it's going to be with a retrofit kit sourced from The Retrofit Source, or an NB2 conversion. Not interested in the slightest in throwing HIDs in the current situation and calling it a day.

This is a thread about H4 Halogen bulbs.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
2/5/15 2:53 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: No way in hell i'm going to be that shiny happy person that puts an HID kit into a halogen housing.

As sad as it is that you actually have to be appreciative of people who actively choose to NOT be selfish and inconsiderate these days...Thank you!

I always seemed to have better luck with the Sylvania Xtra-Visions than the people I knew who used the Silver-Stars.

dean1484
2/5/15 2:57 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
dean1484 wrote: What ever these were this is what I got and they are MUCH better than advertised. http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/lights.php
Was this for a 90-97?

I actually used them in my 87 Porsche 924s but they were H4 bulbs. I got them with a pair of Ecode glass. FM had a group by / pallet sale on them

84FSP
84FSP Reader
2/5/15 3:06 p.m.

Kicking around some of the retrofitted H4/HID setup for the Rabbit. It seems like there are some pretty nice setups cheap... Haven't made any decisions yet, so reading with interest.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yWM1nrvYuA4CL3Sx3ytQ6RO2d1oJPqpjhZhBerKgkRggpgAOrXkGXdLZqM2BLKQh