1 2
P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/21/10 12:01 p.m.

FYI, I've driven manual steering Miata's, and they do not turn as well as the power steering one I eventually bought. In anything longer than a 5-cone slalom I can see getting behind easily and just plum wore out, especially on big sticky tires. If your open lapping/HPDE'ing as well I would definitely recommend keeping the PS.

I got some touring laps on PIR with the Miata yesterday and loved it. The feedback and feel from the PS was excellent and I could honestly say that I could drive around that track all day and still be sharp at the end of the day. The drive home from events is infinitely better with heat/A/C/PS/CD as well...

wbjones
wbjones HalfDork
2/21/10 12:46 p.m.

I've only driven (a-x'ed) a Miata a couple of times, and it has ps... but my CRX is manual steering and the only problem I have is at very slow speed maneuvering, in pits/paddock etc. haven't had any fatigue problems with track days and then driving home (except for the lack of ac )

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/21/10 12:48 p.m.
wbjones wrote: actually if you want to be competitive in STS you need a CRX not a Miata...

I believe that would be a 1989 Civic Si, that you meant to say.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/21/10 1:05 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote:
wbjones wrote: actually if you want to be competitive in STS you need a CRX not a Miata...

No, he meant CRX. STS is for 2-seat cars only. ST is the Spec Civic Si class.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/21/10 1:07 p.m.
P71 wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote:
No, he meant CRX. STS is for 2-seat cars only. ST is the Spec Civic Si class.

Oops... thanks!

billy3esq
billy3esq SuperDork
2/21/10 2:38 p.m.
P71 wrote: If your open lapping/HPDE'ing as well I would definitely recommend keeping the PS.

Having tracked Miatas with and without, I'd have to disagree. On a big tracks (i.e., not autocross) its no problem. On an AX, I do prefer the power steering for the reasons noted. You do lose a little feel, but it makes it a lot easier in slower maneuvers.

billy3esq
billy3esq SuperDork
2/21/10 2:44 p.m.
moxnix wrote:
kreb wrote: One question: Are you allowed to delete power steering and air conditioner for STS?
Only if you fully convert to an option package that did not have them (manual rack is different than power rack so you can't just remove the power steering you need to swap racks)

That's an accurate statement of the rules, but check how those options were packaged. I know AC was available as a stand alone, and PS may have been, so depending on the car's original equipment you may be able to do it without too extensive a conversion.

billy3esq
billy3esq SuperDork
2/21/10 2:46 p.m.
Ian_F wrote: One of the guys is currently in the process of converting his Miata to a R-package (removing p/s & a/c). It seems like a tedious and not-so-cheap process.

Some R-packages had AC. I had one ('94 Laguna Blue). The manual steering was great on track, but I prefer the PS around town and to autocross.

Query on the R-package conversions: are they allowing people to use the reproduction rear chin spoiler since, last I checked, the OE part was NLA?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jxZUrQWNPJIl7F8agaWM7mmHUeXunfXqjbnuJ9Ky0RglimNNdQ3tCgs8UyNwf7MK