californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
10/25/23 11:27 a.m.

I remember years ago there was a discussion about the best brake pads for work trucks / trailer puller , 

Something about what the fleet repair shops were using .

So my van needs brake pads soon , its a 2005 GMC  3/4 van with 8 lug drums.  

Its a work van , but often pulls a 14ft open trailer with a 2000 lb car on it , 

Thanks for your advise :)

PS: also which pads to stay away from !

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
10/25/23 11:31 a.m.

Raybestos specialty truck.  I've used them on two trucks now (just put them on the Escalade) as have several friends after how well they have worked for me.  Everyone likes them and they are under $40 from Rock Auto.  

After having such great results with Raybestos racing pads (ST43/45) on the race cars and Element 3 on the normal family's street cars I asked their tech line for which of the many compounds was best for my use of semi frequent towing of a 7000lb trailer and this was their recommendation.  I've never had them fade even when my trailer brakes failed, and they seem to wear very well.   The only downside is they dust a bit.  

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
10/25/23 12:00 p.m.

Came to say pretty much what Sonic did.  

I've also run the Hawk HP+ pads on tow rigs (Dodges, Fords, and Chevies), and they have been great.  They may be a bit pricier, though.  Never worn a set out.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/25/23 12:28 p.m.

Our Sierra has run the Hawk LTS for years now. Almost time for another set, towing up to 5k lbs without trailer brakes. Never had an issue. They do dust a lot but its a truck. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/25/23 1:20 p.m.

NAPA has some good fleet pads, too.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 HalfDork
10/25/23 2:11 p.m.

Hawk LTS is good, Hawk Super Duty is my preference. 

Napa Fleet is a solid contender 

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD New Reader
10/25/23 2:33 p.m.

The factory pads last freaking forever on GM trucks.  I see trucks and escalades in here all the time with 60-70k finally getting brakes.  We had a rep from GM at our weekly tech meeting a few weeks ago actually asking us what we could do to sell more brakes.  The only answer was stop making them last forever lol.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/25/23 7:11 p.m.
RonnieFnD said:

The factory pads last freaking forever on GM trucks.  I see trucks and escalades in here all the time with 60-70k finally getting brakes.  We had a rep from GM at our weekly tech meeting a few weeks ago actually asking us what we could do to sell more brakes.  The only answer was stop making them last forever lol.

This is what two year old rotors look like in NE Ohio

...if you never use your brakes hard.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD New Reader
10/25/23 9:28 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
RonnieFnD said:

This is what two year old rotors look like in NE Ohio

...if you never use your brakes hard.

Oh man, maybe I should have added Florida somewhere in there.  You can pull a easy 50k out of gm brakes here towing a trailer.  I have a 2500 express van with tool box, jack, fuel jugs, etc and I tow with it.  I'm at a lil over 38,000 miles and still have 8mm of pad left all around.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0g4ZTbSjgf2SLPDYFZ1Nq4ZXX1EQtvE24XPupYciQjh6vj4LILrOg8mlXmScAaeG