1 2 3
kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
6/29/19 9:07 p.m.

Just got back from the Smoky Mountains.  This is the second time we've been there as a family.  The last time, we drove the Tail of the Dragon in our minivan.  Proof: 

This year, however, another "Dragon Run" was not to be.  We had my inlaws with us, and Mrs. Kazoo and at least one of the Kazoolings (the one who barfed in the GPS box last time) were not up for the Dragon again this year.  What they were up for, however, was a drive through Smoky Moutain National park to Clingman's Dome.  We went via Newfound Gap Road and Clingman's Dome Road.  I've got to tell you, it wasn't the Dragon, but it was a close second.  Great mountain roads, lots of curves and corners, a few tunnels and great views throughout and the only 270 degree loop bridge/tunnel combo I've ever driven.  The reward at the end is a short but tough hike to one of the highest points in the park, complete with 360 degree view observation towers and spectacular views.  What it didn't have: 5000 knuckleheads on sportbikes, people who thought they were "racing" on a public road, 100 state troopers, or semi's who were blindly following their GPS.  In some ways, it may have been better than the Dragon as a driving experience.  Highly recommended.  P.S. - leave early.  As we were coming down the mountain, there were WAAAY more people headed up than there were going to be spots available at the top.  

Post your "almost the Tail of the Dragon" roads below for public enjoyment.  

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/29/19 9:32 p.m.

I live in WNC.

I like 215 from Canton to Rosman and then 208 from Lake Toxaway to 107 to Cullowhee. There will be 0 traffic on 208 and 107.

The Rattler isnt bad during non bike season.(209 from Waynesville to Hot Springs)

NC 151 the main part up to the parkway from Candler

TN 32 is a nice route but it starts on a gravel road and turns to pavement at the TN state line. the pavement part is the good one.

JimS
JimS Reader
6/29/19 11:44 p.m.

I just came back from a PCA weekend in the Blue Ridge. Drove some roads I haven't driven before. I've driven the dragon many times and there are a lot of roads as good or better and less crowded  

215, 276, 28, 107, parts of 64 near Lake Toxaway and Cashiers, 80 from the BRP south, Cherohala Skyway, 226 among others  

I used to go to NC from D.C. area in my s2000 and brother's Miata to drive the roads. In 2011 I retired and moved here for the great roads. They are  everywhere in NC. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
6/30/19 5:09 a.m.

I’ve done the Dragon, and am not a fan. <ducks>

You can just about pull off the highway anywhere around here and find better roads...with passing lanes...and no cops/logging trucks/gangs of septuagenarians on Goldwings.

imgon
imgon HalfDork
6/30/19 5:39 a.m.

+1000 on there are better roads than the Dragon. It is something to experience but it has become one of those places that because it was cool and people shared that fact, it has been ruined. I rode it a few times on my bike in the early oughts and it was not nearly as busy then but it is so technical that it bordered on hard work instead of flat out fun. Its been too long to remember the names of other roads that we went on in that area other than Cherahola Skyway (my favorite at the time). Don't share where these roads are with the general public, this needs to be our secret or they will be overrun with chuckleheads. Enjoy the drive/ride!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/30/19 6:02 a.m.

My friends from the local MINI club have said similar things - the Dragon is fun, but there are less crowded roads in the area that in some ways are more fun.

Oddly, considering how long I have been involved with MINIs, I have never been to the Dragon, but I have a tentative plan to go in a couple of weeks since my mother and I need to go to WNC to visit my ailing aunt.  I wasn't plannign to take the R53, but when I saw how close she lives to the Dragon (Franklin, NC), my plans changed.  A new clutch will be going in next week (it's felt a bit "creepy" since I bought the car a couple of years ago).

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
6/30/19 6:39 a.m.

176 from Tryon up to Saluda isn't the dragon. It's nowhere near that level. I've loved it every time I've done it however. We might see one or two more spirited motorists. Last time I recall seeing an Elan while we were in my friend's 544.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/30/19 6:40 a.m.

The "Million Dollar Highway" aka Colorado 550 from Durango to Ouray. Simply stunning. I was able to drive it many, many times in the late 90s

Of course, I've never actually driven or ridden the Dragon, so there's that.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
6/30/19 7:15 a.m.
imgon said:

Don't share where these roads are with the general public, this needs to be our secret or they will be overrun with chuckleheads. Enjoy the drive/ride!

Maybe the mods can password protect this thread.  smiley

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/30/19 7:33 a.m.
MrChaos said:

TN 32 is a nice route but it starts on a gravel road 

Whaddaya mean "but"?

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/30/19 7:34 a.m.
wheelsmithy said:

The "Million Dollar Highway" aka Colorado 550 from Durango to Ouray. Simply stunning. I was able to drive it many, many times in the late 90s

Of course, I've never actually driven or ridden the Dragon, so there's that.

I require a week's vacation and a Corolla GT-S.

MrChaos
6/30/19 7:36 a.m.
Knurled. said:
MrChaos said:

TN 32 is a nice route but it starts on a gravel road 

Whaddaya mean "but"?

Its not a road I would take anything less than a rallycross car down. Especially nothing lowered. For the Mt. Sterling road side from NC.

MrChaos
6/30/19 7:39 a.m.

197 from Barnardsville to Burnsville is nice, There is 1-2 miles of Gravel that start the road(it goes to pavement) and it goes basically no where so there is very little traffic.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/30/19 7:39 a.m.

I like Route 250 between Staunton, VA and Huttonsville, WV.

Rt 33 between Elkins, WV and Harrisonburg, VA is also fun.

Sadly , I’ve never done these teo routes in the same day. Would make a fun loop. 

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/30/19 4:55 p.m.

Just outside of Birmingham is Hwy 25. Combine it with Grants Mill road and it makes for a nice drive. A bit on the short side. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/30/19 5:06 p.m.
kazoospec said:

We went via Newfound Gap Road and Clingman's Dome Road. 

Hope you entered from the NC side.  To get there from the TN side you need to go through Gatlingburg which is an epic E36 M3hole and has more traffic than the dragon itself.

I truly thing the Dragon would be an incredible road on a bicycle.

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/30/19 5:59 p.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

Been over that road a few times! Yeah, it's pretty good. I like the part going towards Leeds the best. 

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/30/19 6:07 p.m.

I vote 64 between Franklin and Highlands.  I'm in an 2006 E350 wagon and there is a 80's-90's Freightliner dump truck behind us. We're going towards Highlands and it ended up like the movie "Dual." Nowadays I would have the skillz to walk away from him, but at the time it was like E36 M3 man, trying to stay ahead of his bumper!

GTXVette
GTXVette UltraDork
6/30/19 6:23 p.m.

For your basic 3 hour Tour I suggust Hwy 60 from Blue ridge South to Dahlonaga . Georgia Fiero Club Does a Run through the Hills Yearly Ga Tenn. N & S Carolina's alway's away from the Crowds and well Planned.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
6/30/19 7:22 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
kazoospec said:

We went via Newfound Gap Road and Clingman's Dome Road. 

Hope you entered from the NC side.  To get there from the TN side you need to go through Gatlingburg which is an epic E36 M3hole and has more traffic than the dragon itself.

Nope, TN side, but we got up and on the road before most Gatlinburg was out of bed.  We did go out later in the day a couple of times and I gotta say, "Gatlingburg" is a perfectly understandable Freudian slip, cuz it makes you want one of these on your car:

Image result for vehicle mounted gatling gun

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/30/19 9:05 p.m.

Start from my home in Starksboro, VT head north on Big Hollow to Hinesburg Hollow. Right turn, head East to Main Rd. in Huntington. Head South to Route 17, otherwise known as the App Gap. Turn left and head up over the mountain to Route 100. Take that South to Route 125 in Hancock and turn right (East). Go back up over the mountain to  Route 7, East Middlebury. Take a right and head North to the last A&W drive-in restaurant in the state. Eat really bad food and hang with friends. Go home.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/30/19 9:09 p.m.

Tail of the Dragon?  Deal’s Gap?  Even rock stars pretending to be lost street racers driving straight axle ‘55 Chevies rock the gap.  And that was even in 1970.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
6/30/19 10:04 p.m.
JimS said:

I used to go to NC from D.C. area in my s2000 and brother's Miata to drive the roads. In 2011 I retired and moved here for the great roads. They are  everywhere in NC. 

Well, not exactly everywhere in NC.  East of Raleigh it seems we have roads with 11 curves in 318 miles sometimes.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/30/19 10:22 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

Only problem is that is now the western dragon. Clogged with Harley, jeeps, and motor homes. Much better roads in the west too. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/1/19 6:46 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

If they closed the road to motorized traffic for an hour or three - sure, but while I'm as much of a roadie as you're likely to find on this forum, the Dragon on a road bike would be frightening for the rider and annoying as hell for everyone else.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LsQbQ3zXuBx4ZgdNVQfGNX7DUeyx3uHt4FjRy4QLZLIqYiY0yCHoUhnHDsDIHjFs