1 2
Erich
Erich UberDork
3/16/21 9:43 a.m.

I've been looking at EVs lately, and discovered the BMW i3 had a bump in range in 2019. I was previously discounting it because I remember it only went like 80 miles. It looks like they don't have fantastic incentives on them new (and they're really thin on the ground locally) so I'd probably be hunting for a used one., probably not the Rex if I can help it (though most seem to be equipped as such)

Any advice from the hive? My main concern is really the goofy 19x5" wheels and tires they put on these - the tires are pricy, don't last too long, and only one manufacturer makes an all season that fits. I'm worried that once the i3 is cancelled (maybe this year?) the tires will go *poof* and I'll be stuck with a car you can't really find tires for anymore. Is that concern legitimate? I looked around at i3-specific sites and while there's some chat about finding alternative wheel/tire combos for grip purposes, I don't see any successful posts. 

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/16/21 9:51 a.m.

I actually like these although my wife does not.  I've seen the older ones go for around $12k so not bad at all.  I have a 36 mile round trip commute so one of those as a work daily would easily be doable.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/16/21 9:52 a.m.

I had a 2015 REx for 3 years and about 35,000 miles-- sold it to another person on the forum last fall.

It's a really nice vehicle to sit in and drive, but it has to fit your mission profile.  If you can make it work without the REx, it's preferable to avoid it, but I'll admit it never gave me any trouble.   It's just complication better avoided if you can. The only issues of any significance I had were with airbags and the locking pin for the charging socket.

Tire choice is extremely limited, but you're better off with 19s instead of the higher trim level 20s.  There is only one tire for the 20 inch wheel, and it's a summer "performance" tire-- as performance as you get with 155s in front and 175s in the rear.  I'd have to say that grip was never really a serious problem though.  Aftermarket wheel choices for 19 inch all season or winter tires is also quite limited, though the tire selection is a bit better.

Erich
Erich UberDork
3/16/21 10:05 a.m.

"nice vehicle to sit in and drive" is the reason I'm interested in these. None of the BEVs I've driven so far match up with that - the Bolt was "fine" I guess, but not a wonderful place to spend any time. I loved the practicality of never gassing up my old LEAF but I've grown older, and the comforts of my uplevel Accord have ruined me for cheap interiors. 

I'm sure the Mach-E, and VW's upcoming model are nicer. The new Hyundai and Kia look fantastic, but I'm betting all these are too pricy for me. 

My commute is about 50 miles max, so I think the early models cut it too close for winter freeway use. I'll probably stick to the 2017+ 94 Ah, or preferably the 2019+ 120 Ah models. 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/16/21 10:10 a.m.

Now that these are starting to trickle down to their second and third owners, more people are putting aftermarket wheel/tire combos on them so I don't think you would ever be left without a way to get tires. I could not tell you if this does anything to the range though.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/16/21 10:42 a.m.

I really like the i3.  I'd love to get one to replace my GF's Mazda3 when it goes off lease, but she really just doesn't like them.

Karacticus
3/16/21 10:42 a.m.

Other things to keep in mind--

• 70+ mph whacks the the crap out of your range-- you should do better, but about 3 mi/kWh is a pretty good year round number
  • The car really shines in town where the short wheel base makes parking and u-turns really easy.  Unfortunately, that short wheel base can make the car a bit nervous at highway speeds, especially in gusty winds. 
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/16/21 2:03 p.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

I'll second that about 70+ mph. When I drove one, taking it on highway totally used up the electrons. 

Erich
Erich UberDork
3/16/21 2:27 p.m.

That's great to know. My max commute is about 50 miles round trip, but the time difference of freeway vs surface streets wouldn't be much. 

Also found out in my research that the new MINI SE (the EV coupe) uses the i3's motor but in a FWD arrangement. The MINI has a very promising base price and range but I can't find any locally for sale yet. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/21 3:01 p.m.

What about the VW e-Golf?

Karacticus
3/16/21 3:06 p.m.

Oh-- a couple of other things.

• I found it kind of expensive to insure.  Some of it may just depend outright on the carrier-- some just don't like BMWs.  However, it's a carbon fiber chassis and if that's damaged in a collision, it can't be repaired just anywhere.  The back hatch is also covered with two pieces of glass-- the upper window can be replaced if broken, the lower portion over the tail lights requires replacement of the hatch if broken.  So year, insurance.
  • Not all BMW dealers can service i models, though that's changing as more and more PHEV models enter the fleet.  It's a two hour drive to get my i8 serviced.

Also, PM me if you're interested in the tech training material and I can share it with you.  May not cover the latest models, but it's at least the kind of stuff I find interesting.  You can also access it via the BMW TIS website, downloading as much as you want for $30 for 24 hours.

hoots04
hoots04 New Reader
3/16/21 6:18 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

What about the VW e-Golf?

I have a 2016 eGolf.  I was looking at an all electric i3 but they were so expensive and then I remembered that VW made an EV.  My golf was a CPO $11K with 12K miles and I bought it in 2019.  I commute about 20 miles a day with it with occasional trips here and there so it was perfect for my needs.  Highly recommended.  EV that doesn't have weird EV looks.  All the functionality of a VW Golf.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/16/21 8:10 p.m.

I think the range on e-golfs jump in 2017. I am watching these on clist. You will be for want in finding cool wheel combos for a VW. 

Erich
Erich UberDork
3/17/21 8:01 a.m.

were e-Golfs sold nationwide? I've never seen one in Michigan, and their sales numbers in the US were about 1/3 that of the BMW i3. I'd be very hesitant to buy something not sold in my market, as most dealers wouldn't be able to service it. I know a guy locally who had a Fiat 500e shipped here from California and ended up with a very expensive paperweight. 

The i3 was sold in big enough numbers in my city that I see them pretty regularly, and I bet the dealer here is the biggest servicer in Michigan, though it's probably a good idea to call and ask before buying.  

Thanks for the insurance heads-up Karacticus. I just checked and it's about $100 more a year than my 2006 Accord, so not bad. I can't imagine the carbon is very repairable for accidents.

Erich
Erich UberDork
3/18/21 8:51 p.m.

Alright, I test drove one today, 2018 with the REx. 

Lots more fun and engaging than any of the other EVs I've driven, and I was very surprised by how nice the ride and interior were. 

I'm actively looking for one now, just trying to determine if it's worth avoiding the REx since I don't need the extra range. 

Karacticus
3/18/21 9:05 p.m.

While it's desirable to avoid the complexity, if you find a good deal otherwise, I'd not let it stop you.  I never had any REx associated issues outside of the fuel tank pressure sensor, which was a known, TSB/recall issue. 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/19/21 7:30 a.m.

I have read that you can reflash the REx models to use the European programming too, where it is apparently utilized much more effectively. If you're going to have it, might as well use it.

Karacticus
3/19/21 7:35 a.m.
pointofdeparture said:

I have read that you can reflash the REx models to use the European programming too, where it is apparently utilized much more effectively. If you're going to have it, might as well use it.

Yes-- I did that on mine using Bimmercode.  It's called "Hold State of Charge" and allows you to select the REx on once the batter state of charge is less than 75% instead of waiting for it to come on automatically somewhere between 6-8%.

I also coded the REx to utilize the full(!) 2.4 gallon capacity of the fuel tank rather than the California HOV lane compliance dictated 1.9.  I don't know if that's applicable to the later models with the larger batteries, as my understanding is that the intent was to make sure the REx wouldn't drive you farther than the battery would.

Placemotorsports
3/19/21 7:37 a.m.

Is there any mods to get more power out of them?  Just curious on a "tuning" aspect of an EV

Karacticus
3/19/21 7:44 a.m.

Rumor has it that after a lot of fleet issues with broken motor mounts/motor mount bolts, BMW actually implemented a software change to limit the torque output of of the motors.

There's some software stuff already built in-- selecting "Sport" instead of "EcoPro" does something that feels like doubles the accelerator pedal mapping.  It's fun to press while someone's holding the pedal in a fixed position-- feels like the boost kicked in.

Remember that at one time, this was the fastest vehicle from 0-30 mph that BMW made.  It's not that much of a slouch.

Erich
Erich UberDork
3/19/21 9:57 a.m.

It felt extremely quick around town, up to about 50 where it petered out. My V6 MT Accord is the opposite, kinda slow from a stoplight but accelerates quickly above 40.

From my research so far: Avoid the 2014 REx. The other REx years seem ok, usually command a $2-3k price premium used. Higher mileage on a REx is better than extremely low, as you want the engine to get a little exercise. 

This article breaks down the differences between the years very well. Ideally, I'd get a BEV 2019+ where they have a 150 mile range, but they're pretty rare, probably would require shipping in from the West coast. 

Erich
Erich UberDork
4/1/21 6:45 p.m.

Found one via Carmax, a '17 BEV model. Waiting for it to ship to me locally.

Karacticus - I PMed you, would be interested in the tech info you have.

This means my '06 Accord V6 Manual Sedan will be for sale soon if anyone wants a sleeper unicorn. I'll post it in classifieds when I actually pick up the i3.

Karacticus
4/1/21 7:06 p.m.

In reply to Erich :

Try PM'ing me again.  It looks like the email address in my profile was old.  

Or just drop me an email at (phonetically) em jay em wye eee are ess five two three four nine  at gmail

Edit:

Hope your purchase works out!

Placemotorsports
7/27/21 8:51 a.m.

Bringing this back up, you guys still happy with them?

Erich
Erich UberDork
7/27/21 10:00 p.m.

I have another thread somewhere here but overall yes, very happy with the i3. The driving experience is great for my use - mostly city with a periodic stretch of freeway.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hJwMm2109grmf5uTQeylx5k3vopv3No9dOasqujcW5tmkIJ2ubl1gwedbSYUGXlD