Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
10/2/24 7:24 a.m.

Got my windshield replaced yesterday. Was very happy with it.  Until this morning on my way into work.

The trim pieces around the windshield appear to primarily be held on with adhesive pads.  The goober that did the job didn't remove all of the old pads.

The new pads still look good.  Can I work the rest of the old stuff off with some solvent and put the new one back on, or should I go back and have them replace the trim piece completely?

I've already decided that if another one comes loose they are ordering me all three trim pieces new.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
10/2/24 11:41 a.m.

Any body guys have any comments?

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/2/24 2:40 p.m.

No direct experience, and not a body guy, but most of the things I know like that use 3m "super strength bonding tape." (advance auto parts link)  Looks exactly like what you have in there..

My guess is they tried to reuse the existing tape instead of scraping it off and putting on new pads of it.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
10/2/24 3:07 p.m.

The new trim piece definitely has new pads, it just looks like they didn't remove the old ones. 

Now the new ones have a bit of schmutz on them from where they got "installed" over the old ones.

miatafan
miatafan GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/5/24 1:38 p.m.

On my '16 they are actually held in with clips and I will bet what happened is your windshield installer broke them during removal (usually happens) and used the adhesive pads to try and put them back into place.

I am speaking from experience as I have my windshield replaced twice and the first time (the dealer) did that.  For the second time, I bought new trim to install with the windshield.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KznzCrDNp5m14gj9tcCzk6x6ngc3pevDWM2fBqmAktnuZfHnmOpeLbY95HAnZVBI