1 2
BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
2/25/19 4:49 p.m.

According to teh Googlez, PPG calls it White Lightning.

79rex
79rex New Reader
2/25/19 5:12 p.m.

that looks like a neon engine bay

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/25/19 5:14 p.m.

In reply to 79rex :

Because it is!

Its actually the car that started the thread.

Dusterbd13-michael
4/2/19 8:42 a.m.

gm arctic white won out. Its freaking BRIGHT in the sun.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/2/19 10:07 a.m.

I'd have so many oily handprints on that in the first 5 minutes. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/2/19 10:15 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Looking great, man. My only new car purchase ever was a 1996 2-door Dodge Neon in white. Seeing your pic made me super nostalgic and I really started to miss that car. It felt like a rocket ship at the time and I spent so much time burning off one front tire while bombing everywhere in the city with it. Looking it up now, 0-60 in 7.4 seconds or so (could it really be as slow as 8??) seems so modest but at the time it felt so fast.

I remember I paid $8600 for the thing, brand spanking new. It had 36 miles on it when I took delivery. The only option was rear defrost. It even had a radio delete, which was perfect for me since I liked to put in big aftermarket systems. Crank windows, absolutely base-base model. The salesman offered me $1000 trade-in on my 1984 Camry and I took him up on it. His boss saw it when I went to do the deal and drop it off; I had not cleaned it or anything. The manager said - how about we just take a couple hundred dollars off the car and you keep your old car? I thought it was hilarious and happily took him up on the offer. Got more in cash for the Camry selling to a co-worker.

Sorry for rambling in your thread, just a flood of memories triggered by that blindingly white car! I also found it difficult to look at in the sun.

Dusterbd13-michael
4/2/19 10:45 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Thats awesome. Im pretty sure that everyone that had one new has fond memories of them. Right up until all the "common neon problems" caught up with them. 

This ine isn't fast compared to the other stuff ive owned, but its quick enough for me to enjoy. Really like a fwd/tin top miata. 

Stampie  trying not to do that. How long does clearcoat need to cure before wax?

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/2/19 12:27 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I may have lucked out there - I sold my Neon with under 20k miles on it because I was an idiot and wanted a Range Rover. Again. I should have stayed in the Neon, I'm sure any problems it had would have paled in comparison to keeping a Range Rover classic (1990) on the road.

There's a nice looking 1999 Neon R/T manual 2-door for $1800 locally. I almost certainly won't buy it, but I would like to.

Dusterbd13-michael
4/2/19 12:33 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Do it do it do it do it do it do it do it 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Dork
4/2/19 12:35 p.m.

I wanna be the first person to leave a greasy hand print on it. 

In reply to dculberson :

I endorse this message. 

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
4/2/19 12:48 p.m.

Endorse, not endorce. (spelling police)

I'm late to the party, but my Frozen White Focus is the brightest white I've ever owned.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
4/2/19 1:04 p.m.

That looks a lot like the super sleeper white Neon that ran 193mph at the Texas Mile event recently. Just so you have some Neon goals:

Older run up to 179mph:

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
4/2/19 1:21 p.m.

Is it just me or is running a non-caged car at 190mph+ with a helmet akin to getting into the ring with Mike Tyson thinking that wearing a cup will be enough protection?  

Come to think of it I'm not sure a cage matters if an accident happens at those speeds...  

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Dork
4/2/19 1:33 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

The owner of that car is such a nice guy to lol. 

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
4/2/19 2:12 p.m.
bcp2011 said:

Is it just me or is running a non-caged car at 190mph+ with a helmet akin to getting into the ring with Mike Tyson thinking that wearing a cup will be enough protection?  

You're right, a cup would not be enough.  You would need ear protection as well.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
4/2/19 3:05 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

gm arctic white won out. Its freaking BRIGHT in the sun.

I think I'm going to use that on my Xterra if I don't blow it up first. 

Dusterbd13-michael
4/2/19 3:46 p.m.

In reply to Crackers :

The wagon. With an organisol blackout treatment and hemi dart hood scoop.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
4/2/19 8:12 p.m.

Yeah, probably the wagon too. Xterra has some pretty advanced white paint disease though, so it's probably going to be my guinea pig with the PFC stuff. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
9/6/22 1:49 a.m.

I painted a old VW panel bus "pure white"  years ago 

it hurt your eyes to look at it !

it toned down a lot when we put the lettering and graphics on it ,

but as a single color it was too much....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
45ek79LYiYWBpiz9qATtL2IVgpelAkG3P6LEczRHg0Pi4jDOpSKNSCMphSyFgEP1