pilotbraden
pilotbraden UberDork
11/25/23 9:34 p.m.

I'm sceptical but several generally reliable sources have told me that mosquito spray with deet will clear up fogged headlights. Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks Braden 

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
11/25/23 11:06 p.m.

Sounds like nonsense to me. You can have them repaired at a bodyshop. Wets sand,buff and urethane cleared. They can even tint them. Shaded,redden,blued etc. Or go this route..

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/g1470/which-headlight-restorer-works-best/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=arb_ga_pop_md_dsa_hybd_mix_us_20551489161&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn5fewePgggMVxH9MCh3HbgxuEAAYAiAAEgIvqPD_BwE

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UberDork
11/25/23 11:31 p.m.

I've wet sanded with fine to finer grit and it works well. However wipe on wipe off appeals to my inner sloth

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/25/23 11:56 p.m.

It does work for the faded and not pitted lights for about a month. It may work longer if you use the spray- then use the uv spray on top. 

The Deet bug spray seems to melt the top layer of the headlight chemically and that seems to be why it works. That also means it rips any remaining uv protectant off and the light will be faded again soon if you don't prevent it. 

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
cdowd (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/26/23 11:34 a.m.

I just ordered the Cerakote kit from Amazon.  Is is on sale for about 13.00 and they will replace the kit if it fails.  I will let you know how it goes after I use it.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/26/23 11:54 a.m.

It works. Ive done it many times. Its good for a quick clean up. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
11/27/23 2:54 a.m.

Think I have read wd40 works short term as well? 

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
11/27/23 9:25 a.m.

So Deet is not a line of bull? That is surprising.  I will try it out. I see plenty of headlights in rough shape.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
11/27/23 9:34 a.m.

If only they made a product specifically for this application...

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
11/27/23 9:36 a.m.

The way I have done it is using brake parts cleaner.

Scrap of fine tee shirt material, short (SHORT!) spray on the rag, wipe headlight furiously, DONE. 

Not perfect and it takes a bit of finesse.  Brake parts cleaner works SCARY fast with a VERY SMALL amount of spray. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
11/27/23 1:34 p.m.

OFF with 40%ish DEET works real nice.  Spray it, rub with a paper towel, done.  The hippy bullE36 M3 stuff doesnt work, you want the good stuff laced with chemicals.  

By the time your headlights are yellowed the clear is gone anyway so it doesnt really hurt to use DEET to clean them up.  You could either then cut and buff them and reclear or just hit them with another round of bug spray every few months.  

As always, try it on a little corner of one lense and give it a little time after treatment to make sure it doesnt melt the lense down or check it or haze it or something.  

For a car you are not planning on keeping forever its far and away the easiest way to go in terms of gains per dollar per hour, but if its something you are madly in love with and plan on parking outdoors for the next 100 years its worth doing the complete strip and respray.  

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/23 8:07 p.m.

Deet is not a line of bull.  It will, but test it in an inconspicuous area first.  If it's not that bad you should be fine, but ever get deet on plastics before?  Some of them are fine, others it will destroy.  I accidentally sprayed some on an RJ plug on some Cat6 cable.  It instantly crazed the plastic and when I touched it, it basically turned into plastic sand.

What car are we talking about?  I was all set to do my Express van headlights until I discovered that new buckets were $28 each.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
11/27/23 9:33 p.m.

I've heard this before. And the guy that told me had beautiful headlights, if such can be said about an SN95. Might pick some up for the xB if I ever get around to cosmetics. If we're being honest, I do have bigger concerns than headlights. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
11/28/23 9:28 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

Deet is not a line of bull.  It will, but test it in an inconspicuous area first.  If it's not that bad you should be fine, but ever get deet on plastics before?  Some of them are fine, others it will destroy.  I accidentally sprayed some on an RJ plug on some Cat6 cable.  It instantly crazed the plastic and when I touched it, it basically turned into plastic sand.

What car are we talking about?  I was all set to do my Express van headlights until I discovered that new buckets were $28 each.

Refinished OEM are going to be about 1000x nicer than aftermarket unless you don't drive at night.  

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/28/23 11:29 a.m.

I've used the Sylvania kit with really good success. Takes some time, but the results have been worth it so far.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UberDork
11/29/23 1:33 p.m.

I thank all of you for the information. The lights are on my Neon, so somewhat rare. I need to improve the lights for driving in northern Michigan, it's dark many hours of the day this time of year.

Braden 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/29/23 3:04 p.m.

In reply to pilotbraden :

if you have a warm work space and don't mind spending an hour, i have had excellent results using the RustOleum WipeNew kit, and most recently with the Turtle Wax Headlight Lens Restorer kit.  Both use small handheld abrasive pads, vs the foam ball on a drill arbor of some of the other kits.  RustOleum kit lasted about 1.5 years of always being parked outdoors, 2 Michigan winters, etc.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sQaWFIFrf5wyJ98Lj2KY0JuLc7IVwl2l0cQ0P9OHYjaOm7P5xTus6PFfFtsq68Sk