1 2 3
Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
3/24/18 11:55 p.m.

I got nuthin cept for holy crap I had no idea there were that many reverse flow engines from back who knows when. Great pix! Moar!

NickD
NickD UltraDork
3/25/18 7:20 a.m.

In reply to Jay_W :

Another converted flathead Ford

A pair of Ford Indy V8s on a dragster. Really curious about this machine, because I've never heard of such a car. Must not have been too successful. But look at that exhaust!

Converted small block Chevy. I like the front-mounted Ford Flathead distributor

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
3/25/18 9:28 a.m.

Bag Of Snakes is what I thought when I saw that Title.  Cadillac is who Develops the Electronics for the Rest Of GM so they seem to Have More Problems But not really.  They are the GM Leader. A Simple 7L. V12 that weigh's 2 1/2 Tons is what they need to Build . Rolls Royce Character.  I love the Race Car.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
3/25/18 9:51 a.m.

I think the under 3l fords were turboed but that was early 70's / late 60's . Those first Cosworth Headed engines were not

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
3/25/18 3:03 p.m.
NickD said:

The only two transverse-engine vehicles in their lineup currently are the slow-selling/fast-depreciating XTS (an Impala in Caddy clothing for twice the price)

Wait, so what you are saying is I should be able to get a twin-turbo V8 Impala?  I’d be cool with that. laugh

djsilver
djsilver Reader
3/25/18 8:28 p.m.
NickD said:
conesare2seconds said:

I’m intrigued by this engine. Hope GM has some solutions for the issues that cropped up in the BMW hot-v engines. This is a good read (credit to eEuroparts) and explains why I keep seeing recent vintage 7-series executive sedans on Craigslist for not much money.  

GM already has a multitude of timing chain, oil consumption and injector related issues on their direct-injection engines that aren't a hot-vee setup. In fact, I'd likely say most of those BMW issues are more related to the flaws of DI than anything else.

I don't remember where I saw it, but I recently read an article about a new Toyota engine architecture that uses both DI and port injectors.  One of the stated purposes of the port injectors was for keeping the intake tract clean.  

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/25/18 9:06 p.m.
djsilver said:
NickD said:
conesare2seconds said:

I’m intrigued by this engine. Hope GM has some solutions for the issues that cropped up in the BMW hot-v engines. This is a good read (credit to eEuroparts) and explains why I keep seeing recent vintage 7-series executive sedans on Craigslist for not much money.  

GM already has a multitude of timing chain, oil consumption and injector related issues on their direct-injection engines that aren't a hot-vee setup. In fact, I'd likely say most of those BMW issues are more related to the flaws of DI than anything else.

I don't remember where I saw it, but I recently read an article about a new Toyota engine architecture that uses both DI and port injectors.  One of the stated purposes of the port injectors was for keeping the intake tract clean.  

Paging alfadriver....

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
3/25/18 11:00 p.m.

The use of port and direct injection on the same engine by Toyota has been happening for at least 13 years now. 

TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
6/27/18 2:58 p.m.
NickD said:

Hmmm, I could've sworn that Ford turbocharged the Indy V8 at some point. Maybe I'm just thinking of the guy who turbocharged the one and dropped it in a widebody, fastback Ford Falcon.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OpH1HlYrK35IRBv6MePcZ6JpDucqL3PP3f02haTnphklXWkKZ7wVaE9rLIy9ftSG