1 2 3 ... 6
Type Q
Type Q Dork
5/2/13 7:03 a.m.

Comments in the 2 Miata household thread got me thinking about the stereotypes that get attached to certain cars. I own two cars. One is a modified Honda Civic hatchback a the other is a Miata. If you go by stereotype then I am 18 to 24 year-old street racing gay hairdresser. Reality is that I am an avid autocrosser, over 40, and married.

What are the stereotypes for your cars and what is your reality?

RossD
RossD UberDork
5/2/13 7:07 a.m.

Big truck = Tiny penis

This is not always true.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
5/2/13 7:07 a.m.

I have a full sized four door truck. I am a redneck.
I have a Mazda2. I am a 38 year old woman.
I have a 911. I am a douchebag.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
5/2/13 7:11 a.m.

Bimmer = epic shinyhole

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
5/2/13 7:12 a.m.

I just bought a BMW. Part of me really didn't want to, because BMW. Another part of me wanted to because BMW goodness. But straight six, rear wheel drive, nice looks, IRS, etc... Made me do it anyway. Now to figure out how to debadge it and somehow disguise the kidney beans....
Then there's my CRX, which kind of puts me in the same category as the OP, except I'm 52. Then there's my crew cab dually, which has it's own stereotypes, and my vintage Mustang which I'm sure has some kind of stereotype, although I'm not quite sure what.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
5/2/13 7:14 a.m.

II am not the skinny, flat brim, DC shoes 19yo my Subaru WRX would lead you to believe I am. I'm a fat 45yo, that wears bandanas to avoid sunburn on my balding head. Boots are my preferred footwear.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
5/2/13 7:15 a.m.

I drive a honda. If I pass another honda on the hwy, it means I want to race.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/2/13 7:16 a.m.

Corvette = over 40 / mid life crisis

(bought my fist one at 26, 2nd at 29) They were both in rough shape.

Camaro/ Firebird = Heavy metal loving mulletman. (guilty)

Saturn = cheapass (guilty again)

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/2/13 7:22 a.m.
RossD wrote: Big truck = Tiny penis This is not always true.

True. If the browning logo sticker in the window is pink, it probably doesn't belong to someone with a penis.

FWIW, my DD is a beigemobile/appliance/soulless communter.

whenry
whenry HalfDork
5/2/13 7:30 a.m.

Since I dont own a single "normal" vehicle(not sure if '96 4runner qualifies as normal), most of the public would see me as a f***ed up mess between the 911, GTO, yellow Miata and MS6. Guess 56yo lawyers are supposed to drive either a Buick or Mercedes. I will admit that I couldnt pull the trigger on buying the ZO6 several years ago due to my own issues with Corvettes.
I was recently offered an incredible deal on a '07 Z4 hardtop and still cant decide if I can drive a Bimmer.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/2/13 7:32 a.m.

Sammy with Mud Tars = offroad hooligan

old Corolla with performance mods = cheapass wannabe sports car owner

So yeah just about right

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
5/2/13 7:34 a.m.

I used Clarion for a long time, have had a Pioneer or two, but I've predominantly been an Alpine man for the past decade or so.

• Lee
trucke
trucke Reader
5/2/13 7:37 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: old Corolla with performance mods = cheapass wannabe sports car owner

I resemble that description. Isn't 'cheapass' a euphemism for GRM?

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
5/2/13 7:39 a.m.

Ok, I'm not sure about the stereotypes that apply to me, help me out.
2005 Chrysler minivan, stereo type: Boring family man. Check.

1999 Golf diesel, stereo type: Dunno, help me out

1984 Porsche 944, stereo type: Dunno, help me out

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/2/13 7:47 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: 1999 Golf diesel, stereo type: Dunno, help me out

Aspiring stancetard and proud VWvortex member

DrBoost wrote: 1984 Porsche 944, stereo type: Dunno, help me out

Cheapass Porsche fan

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
5/2/13 7:54 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: 1999 Golf diesel, stereo type: Dunno, help me out 1984 Porsche 944, stereo type: Dunno, help me out

Golf - I care about mileage, just ask me about it, I want to talk about it. Please let me tell you why my car buying choice is superior to yours? Not asking? I'll tell you anyway.

944 - if I had more money this would be a 911.

dinger
dinger Reader
5/2/13 7:57 a.m.

I DD and E46 BMW and have a diesel Excursion as a tow vehicle for my street stock dirt roundy round car.

So I'm an arrogant yuppy prick with a tiny weiner who is a total redneck. Sounds about right.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
5/2/13 7:59 a.m.

1971 MGB GT: I like classic cars but I am cheap and won't spend real money to have one and/or I am a mechanic. Reality is the same for the first half, only inclined for the second.

1996 GMC C1500: No real stereotypes here, maybe I need a truck but I'm cheap and won't spend real money on a new one. Reality is the same. It does look good, though.

1984 Mercedes Benz 300D. Nerd. That's the reality.

I think I need a new car to bring out some better stereotypes that are farther away from the truth, but the truth is so affordable.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
5/2/13 8:00 a.m.

Trooper has three: I'm on an expedition wherever I go. I couldn't afford a Landrover. Tiny Penis

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/2/13 8:01 a.m.

Modifiied Civic. already been there.
F150 with clear coat peeling off the body- trailer trash maybe?
Yugo- just an idiot
Spitfire- still an idiot.

HunterJP
HunterJP GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/2/13 8:16 a.m.

Let's see: Miata, '69 VW Bug, BRZ, CRX, and BMW E30.

Gay hippie, who likes to drift and street race, and is also an epic shiny happy person?

Duke
Duke PowerDork
5/2/13 8:24 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Trooper has three: I'm on an expedition wherever I go. I couldn't afford a Landrover. Tiny Penis

No, no, no - the Trooper was never bought by men to begin with. It was bought exclusively by late-era Baby Boomer soccer moms who wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan or an American vehicle of any sort.

But the middle of your 3 stereotypes holds true, although at that point in history, none of them had ever even heard of Rovers.

RossD
RossD UberDork
5/2/13 8:32 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:
RossD wrote: Big truck = Tiny penis This is not always true.
True. If the browning logo sticker in the window is pink, it probably doesn't belong to someone with a penis. FWIW, my DD is a beigemobile/appliance/soulless communter.

I laughed.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
5/2/13 8:35 a.m.

Gameboy and Mazdeuce: Yeah, I was afraid of that (944, specifically). The VW description from Mazdeuce really had me laughing.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
5/2/13 8:37 a.m.

Olds Intrigues seem to either be driven by old women or people with zero income. I'm neither of those things. I just act like I have zero income.

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LR4acaqY2LBWKBBzmgvezBNDiJgBdaCw4FZLt5xkJMlOK66ocKK9sS7eW26VqSir