1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Mezzanine
Mezzanine Reader
12/10/14 11:25 a.m.

I was >< this close to buying a 228 years ago. I'm still sad/overjoyed I didn't. I want another chance.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Reader
12/10/14 11:27 a.m.

Anything with a trident badge fits in this thread.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
12/10/14 11:38 a.m.
Mezzanine wrote: How is it possible that this hasn't been drooled over at length?

Because we know that it has the life expectancy of a mosquito?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/10/14 11:38 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I'm tempted every time a $1500 Discovery pops up on C-List. The worst part is they pop up all the time. A $1000 will get you this one. Needs frame work.

The owner of my last company had one of those and I had to drive it once. Driving one will cure any desire to own one. What a turd.

My own illogical desires are: '04 R32, B5 S4 Avant, '08 535i Touring 6 spd, 996, something made by Ferrari.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/10/14 11:41 a.m.
jstein77 wrote:
Mezzanine wrote: How is it possible that this hasn't been drooled over at length?
Because we know that it has the life expectancy of a mosquito?

That's exactly the reason it belongs in this thread.

We all know that everything in this thread is awful, but we don't care.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/10/14 11:46 a.m.
JamesMcD wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: I totally read that link as spaceghost.craigslist.org
NOT a valid URL.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/10/14 11:48 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

Sometimes the pain is worth it. At least for a little while.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/10/14 11:58 a.m.

Range Rover Classic
Jaguar Series 1 XJ6
Alfa Romeo

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
12/10/14 12:37 p.m.

3000GT VR4 or Stealth RTT

I know better, but I still want.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
12/10/14 12:46 p.m.

Always wanted to do a American V8 swap in one of those with a Painless Wiring kit to remove the italian wiring, bare metal epoxy respray to cure the rust and then just drive the piss out of it.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/10/14 12:50 p.m.

My latest I shouldn't but will anyway choices are.

X type

S type

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/10/14 12:50 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: I have a bad habit of doing a sub $5k search for "AMG" on craigslist.

This. Pretty much anything with Mercedes AMG on it is something I would want, but at the same time...

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
12/10/14 1:09 p.m.

You know, every once in a while I see the episode of Wheeler Dealers where they repaired that P38 Range Rover. I think to myself "They don't seem that bad" then I see all the $1000 examples littering craigslist and remember why they are there.

Also, my MIL had a C230 Kompressor coupe and it was really reliable. She didn't have any problems with it other than recall stuff.

My list consists of:

P38 Range Rover

E38 7-Series

E65-68 7-Series

Mercedes S Class

Anything using a "New" technology in the first model year.

Anything VAG

Anything British

Anything French

I probably have more, but I can't think of them at this moment.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/10/14 1:19 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

So you're saying you know those are all terrible, but you would highly consider buying them anyways?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/10/14 1:29 p.m.

I know it's a horrific investment. I'd be better off burning a pile of money on the ground.... but there's something about them.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/10/14 1:32 p.m.

This is not really the car for a suburban dad from Pittsburgh, but I really want one.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/10/14 1:35 p.m.

I would also love a bobbed Deuce and a Half

and a Gamma Goat.

What could possibly go wrong with surplus WWI vehicles?

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
12/10/14 1:40 p.m.

I keep looking at cheap GT cars. 928 XKS 300ZX Alfas

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
12/10/14 2:12 p.m.

sadly, I've acted on those impulses. I bought a 61 morris mini, then just to complete the package I bought a lifted 87 range rover classic, the one with the smaller 3.5 V8 to tow the mini. Anybody who has ever towed anything with a 3.5 engined rover nows my pain. Good thing the mini wasn't that big. Still look upon them both fondly, and have pictures of them in my office and home in my den....but man my life got easier when they left my life.

jsquared
jsquared Reader
12/10/14 2:15 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
bluebarchetta wrote: Mk IV GTI VR6. I know they're nose-heavy, understeering, unreliable beasts, but man, that exhaust note. Every time I hear it, I want to own one.
MKIV R32 is my E36 M3 that also scares me. So we can add that to the list.

Buddy of mine had a MkIV R32 that was his daily-driver.

captdownshift wrote: 2.7 bi Turbo Allroad obdI VR6 powered VW corrado Nissan Pulsar GTi-R Subaru EJ25 anything

My EJ257-mobile hasn't been that bad. Rebuilt the engine, though -- MOAR POWARRRR

My list -- cars that would be a massive headache on their own merit, or a massive headache because of what I'd do to them :

• Porsche 928

• Alfa Milano

• Audi S4 or S4 Avant, the biturbo V6 of course (on the list mainly bc of my need for more boost and having worked on 90s Audi electrical issues)

• BMW 850i or 850CSi

Cars that would be a minor headache -- but I'm really just paranoid about parts costs or maintenance intensity:

• E46 M3

• 986 Boxster S

• Cayman S

• Audi S8

And damnit, I didn't want a Biturbo before, but for some reason I do now Besides the bad wiring and the rust, and the Italian-ness of the design/build stage, what else is bad on them?

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Reader
12/10/14 2:19 p.m.

I am also attracted to the idea of a small British convertible as a summer daily driver, even though I know I would be too tall to comfortably fit in one for any length of time. A Miata fits this dilemma too.

Spitfires are especially sexy to me for some reason.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 New Reader
12/10/14 2:29 p.m.

Bmw E38, specifically a 740i Sport

BMW E31, manual, CSi if I could find one...

Jag XJS V12

The aforementioned Biturbo

I feel like really anything high-end from the late 80's and most of the 90's fits here for me, since it was the advent of really complicated computer-controlled stuff that is all starting to fail now. Even my (relatively) simple SVX could be dangerous, but fortunately everything works. For now.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
12/10/14 2:53 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Agreed. I gave up on the X-Type Jag when I read about the trans. Come to think of it, that's why I gave up on the Lincoln LS.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
12/10/14 3:07 p.m.

I remember in the early '80s I saw an ad for a '66 Jaguar Mark X at a price I actually could afford. Plus have some leftover for repairs. So I asked, "What can go wrong."

It showed me big time!!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/10/14 3:26 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
Toyman01 wrote: I'm tempted every time a $1500 Discovery pops up on C-List. The worst part is they pop up all the time. A $1000 will get you this one. Needs frame work.
The owner of my last company had one of those and I had to drive it once. Driving one will cure any desire to own one. What a turd.

I own a 2004 Disco2. While slow compared to it's rivals, it will still get out of it's own way. Thankfully mine does not have the airride rear suspension, so it actually handles fairly well.. surprisingly so.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Crap. I agree with you on something And this too...

is it fair that I want one of those with an LSx and a T56?

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DZIneIlnWBFclVWSNOhSC8QSbuPz5BH79ErAidVWFzZTwBe4X1MdlShYSlCLXhwg