1 2 3
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/18/18 2:58 p.m.

So I'm not completely insane. I have the space and cash, I just don't have the skills.

I may have to talk to one of my buddies here in OKC that has built all kinds of crazy stuff (LS1 E30 a decade ago for instance) and see what kind of damage I'm in for. 

Chesterfield
Chesterfield New Reader
3/18/18 3:16 p.m.

Locostusa has a thread on v8 capable transaxles for mid-engine applications. http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3293. Just in case you need to do some research. BTW, I completely support this idea.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
3/18/18 3:30 p.m.

I don't have any pictures, but this year at the Goodguys Syracuse Nationals there was an S10 with an LS motor bolted directly to a C5 transaxle where the bed would be, with C5 suspension. It was at the Air Ride Technology/Ridetech booth and had all the Ridetech goodies, so I'm sure it was a runner.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
3/18/18 3:43 p.m.

Locally there is a pickup that a fellow has done this with:

Only difference is that it is a long bed and he left the original motor in.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
3/18/18 4:11 p.m.

In reply to Hal :

Not quite what I had in mind when I've been low key thinking of an LS powered Dakota.

NermalSnert
NermalSnert New Reader
3/18/18 4:23 p.m.

Why not go ahead and take it one step further? - Get 2 engines and transaxles and.... See where I'm going with this?

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
3/18/18 5:02 p.m.

One of my minivan class ideas was a toyota sienna with a subaru flat 6 driving the back wheels so an LS4 in the back of an s10 isn't that crazy.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
3/18/18 8:21 p.m.
Wally said:
Patrick said:

Well, closest i have is there used to be one running around here with a 500” cadillac drivetrain in the bed.  

I wanted to do the same when I bought the c5, use the entire rear bits to make a mid engine s10, but the corvette transmission and diff is just way too long.  

I really want one with a 500" caddy at each end. 

Forget what show it was but they did just this. They took a stock 500 Eldo and then added another 500 in the trunk.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
3/18/18 8:23 p.m.
NermalSnert said:

Why not go ahead and take it one step further? - Get 2 engines and transaxles and.... See where I'm going with this?

Sounds something similar to the “Terrifying Toronado” from years ago.

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
3/18/18 8:41 p.m.

The Morrow's Racing Eldo has a second 500 mounted in the trunk. It ran a few laps before blowing up the front engine. They then swapped the rear engine to the front to maintain powersteering and brakes, both things I would really want on a car of this stature.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/18/18 8:53 p.m.

I had serious thoughts about mid mounting my truck, but there is no SCCA class that it would fit in, so I chickened out.

There is a c10 on a full chassis being built with Subaru power in the rear, but I can't find any pics of it right now...

And there is always Stretchy Truck. This truck competed at Drag Week the year I went in '15

NickD
NickD UltraDork
3/19/18 5:21 a.m.
drainoil said:
Wally said:
Patrick said:

Well, closest i have is there used to be one running around here with a 500” cadillac drivetrain in the bed.  

I wanted to do the same when I bought the c5, use the entire rear bits to make a mid engine s10, but the corvette transmission and diff is just way too long.  

I really want one with a 500" caddy at each end. 

Forget what show it was but they did just this. They took a stock 500 Eldo and then added another 500 in the trunk.

It was Dirty Every Day on Motor Trend On Demand.

Hurst did the same thing in '66 with the Hurst Hairy Olds with twin blown alcohol Olds 425s with Toronado transaxles in a 4-4-2. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/19/18 6:41 a.m.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
3/19/18 6:50 a.m.

It's a fun thing to consider. You basically want the GM version of this:

Image result for millen truck pikes peak

Personally, I don't think that's too much to ask for.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/18 7:01 a.m.
STM317 said:

I remember those. More info please that would be a cool project to recreate one of those with modern parts. 

I can see building that starting with 2wd 1500 pickup and the front clip from a CTSV  use the bed sides from the pickup for  the rear add the dog house from a noble. 

Or  I wonder if you could get something in fiberglass that would sit on a c5 driveline. 

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
3/19/18 7:24 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

It was a Pike's Peak vehicle driven by Rod Millen in the late 90s. Full tube chassis with central driving location, Mid engine 4 cyl boosted to 4 digit hp.

It looks ridiculous to drive in the wet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=85&v=U5Wg3JUcKwM

Only slightly better on dry tarmac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnjkxnqhc68

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
3/19/18 11:42 a.m.

Too much talk; not enough "build thread."

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
3/19/18 11:44 a.m.

I have a Toyota Truck being built (slowly) with an 70 Eldorado Drive train in the rear.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/my-mullet-truck-build/120514/page1/

When I hit the lotta and have a garage to work in I want to build a clone of Steve Mqueens BajaBoot to go next to the James Garner Grabber clone.

As far as a twin engined car there is the 86 Yugo with a an eldo set up front and rear that runs around the midwest autocross tracks.

The dirt everyday guys did a twin engine off road Eldorado. 

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
3/19/18 11:48 a.m.
STM317 said:

GM Version of that was mostly a thing that actually existed. It had the engine in the front though. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/19/18 11:53 a.m.
STM317
STM317 SuperDork
3/19/18 12:22 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Yep. This one too

Image result for pikes peak s10

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
3/19/18 12:40 p.m.

"Cleetus Mcfarland" has an EX NASCAR truck he drives on the street.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
3/19/18 12:51 p.m.
Stop giving me bad ideas of what to do to my S10!  I need the bed to be usable.
gumby said:

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
3/19/18 1:10 p.m.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh HalfDork
3/19/18 1:22 p.m.
1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j7DyLOLqxwS31wiVnVsOuy1fnkbNYWZgQ3ZYdMeEzF21CRUpgAy4B8POwHuMB1Ds