1 ... 3 4 5 6 7
oldtin
oldtin Reader
9/28/09 1:03 p.m.

Damn you count down clock!

My wife decided she wants to see this. Still time to sign her up if she can get away?

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
9/28/09 2:07 p.m.

yep. just call in.

wrenchedexcess
wrenchedexcess New Reader
9/29/09 1:57 p.m.

Can't wait, we are leaving on Saturday. Stopping at IMS to tour the museum and the track (last time I was there it was being repaved.) then on to the Tail of the Dragon. Next up will be Jacksonville N.C. my nephew is in the Marines and then on to the Challenge! Good thing I have been driving my challenge car, the post cat 02 sensor crapped out and sent a ton of OBD codes, may have to replace the cam sensor as well, waiting for all the can tests to complete. Also installed a home made strut bar, will check that out on my way to work this afternoon.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
9/30/09 4:36 p.m.

We have exhausted the clutch challenge on the mitsubishee , we figure the clutch fork is bent and we are not in the mood to fix ............ So we have went to plan 2 b and are going to put our hands on a cougar and see what happens .

fastclown
fastclown Reader
10/1/09 6:53 a.m.

"going to put our hands on a cougar and see what happens" I guess you guys are young. Get a good looking one and bring her along! That will probably be a better ride and you can use her to bribe the judges...

spin_out
spin_out New Reader
10/1/09 6:57 a.m.

Any idea of how many cars are entered this year? The link to entrants is a little hard to read, and I'm guessing incomplete. Is there a simple list of type of car and number? Just curious. (Or did Andy swear someone to a code of secrecy?) :)

Supercoupe
Supercoupe Reader
10/1/09 10:19 a.m.

I count 42 confirmed but not all have the car info...just so you know I'll be bringing this along.....

and this.....

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
10/1/09 10:39 a.m.

Cougars interior ripped out adding lightness

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/1/09 12:34 p.m.

A micro car! Yeah!!

Its about time!

Supercoupe
Supercoupe Reader
10/1/09 3:04 p.m.

hopefully it will hold up through the whole event. Kept the original transaxle in it since I plan to put it back to original style when the Challenge is over. Didn't want to chop up a good classic just to swap eng/trans combo. I can tell you the horsepower has gone from 17 to around 65, but the transmission/axle strength is my concern. We'll see.....or it least I should be a shoe in for the most spectacular failure...

spin_out
spin_out New Reader
10/1/09 3:21 p.m.

Love the micro-car, looking forward to seeing it.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/1/09 4:37 p.m.
Supercoupe wrote: I can tell you the horsepower has gone from 17 to around 65, but the transmission/axle strength is my concern.

3.8 times original output. Excellent! That beats Jonny Pruitt's Yugo with 3 times original factory output!

Hmmm... It also beats mine with 0.5 times factory output!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
10/1/09 8:49 p.m.

I think/assume I am at 4 times original hp and probably more torque, I am also playing for that spectacular failure award, and it will not be on skates

On the serious side, do we have 110 power available at the track?

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
10/2/09 1:35 p.m.

We have brought another mitsubishee from my buddys salvage yard and we removed tranny , the clutch fork is so much better and smooth . We are reinstalling the tranny now so hopefully after 4 times or so R/R we might be on track to having a clutch .

stan_d
stan_d Dork
10/3/09 11:04 a.m.

Well here it is sat morning and the car has yet to be fired up but I have faith.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
10/4/09 8:49 a.m.

Well sun morning still haven't fired up ,brakes work though slowly crossing stuff off the list.

Supercoupe
Supercoupe Reader
10/4/09 7:13 p.m.

yeah..well..I screwed the proverbial pooch today. Had a carrier bearing fall apart on me today with no chance of sourcing another, I had to find all the rollers and put it back together.

I did go to a nice car show this AM though and found an 850 Fiat for sale that I'm going to look at tomorrow.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
10/4/09 9:21 p.m.

Drove my challenge car about 25 miles or so today. It's not that pretty and it's not that fast but I'll be there.

westsidetalon
westsidetalon New Reader
10/4/09 9:38 p.m.

did some highway runs last night, autocrossed today

bamalama
bamalama Reader
10/4/09 10:04 p.m.
jwdmotorsports wrote: Drove my challenge car about 25 miles or so today. It's not that pretty and it's not that fast but I'll be there.

I'm leaving early Thursday morning to meet up with Les and then we're heading out.

On your way, if you happen to see a black Datsun pickup broken down on the side of the interstate, please stop and help.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
10/5/09 7:05 a.m.

In reply to bamalama: Likewise if you see an orange GTI broken down.

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
10/5/09 8:13 a.m.

I drove mine yesterday to clean off the track debris from my tires. Very twitchy at speed with the stiff springs in the rear and a poorly aligned front end, will remedy the alignment today. Almost had a brake issue while bleeding last night but it will work for the Challenge, well issue is still there but no time to get parts in.

Karl, did you ever get me email regarding graphics/vinyl?

Is there anyone looking for a ride down to the Challenge from the DC Area or somewhere along I95? We have at least one seat, maybe two.

Per Schroeder
10/5/09 8:31 a.m.

We've got 56 entries as of this morning. We're looking forward to seeing everyone there!

Per

Per Schroeder
10/5/09 9:43 a.m.

Registration on Thursday: 5:30-9pm-ish: Registration open at Host Hotel.

Autocross/Concours Schedule for Friday at track

7am-8:30am: Course construction

7:30am-9:30am: Tech Inspection at NHRA Shed

9am: Driver’s Meeting

9:15-9:45: Course Open for Walking.

10am: Course Open for runs 10am: Concours Judging Open

4ish: Autocross Course closed.
4:30ish: Concours Judging Closed

There is no set run/work order for the Autocross.

You get five runs throughout the day. Use your runs wisely. Expert Drivers will be on hand to help!

If you are not currently autocrossing, we request that you get your car judged by the Concours Judges (remember, no concours on Saturday!)

Drag Schedule for Saturday: 9:30-4pm(ish): Track open for drag runs. Hand in fastest time slips to registration, please!

(Martin Sports Car Club has event going on at road course, if you want to try that out as well.) More info on this will be posted shortly. It's not a part of the challenge, but available to you.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
10/5/09 11:50 a.m.

Yes bruce i will gladly bring some graphics for you , we are breezing into the weekend . Mitsubishee after all the clutch work is gonna be a no show . The clutch bar under the dash seems to be faulty , we tightened a nut and it worked for couple days but now will not release clutch . we dont want tro remove dash and weld and we dont want to take a chance on total failure but we are switching to the sentravalanche << slow turtle >.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9VaHsTVqEvq2EfpRePuKL3xWYRwWFkpAS5T05Iqs8U6syJVVBqRro56oagd0KvfT