1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 ... 44
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/11/18 6:48 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

I’d agree with how you did the tires too. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/12/18 10:14 a.m.

I just read this whole thread and the FAQ rules based on it.

I'm intimidated and motivated in equal measure. I know whatever car I build is not going to be a top contender, but I'm really interested in trying to get a runner there at budget price.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
10/12/18 10:22 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

We built a mediocre entry on a $900 budget. Finished midpack but had a ball. By all means try it. The best advice I received was in your first effort concentrate on only one portion of the competition. That is build the best autocross car or drag car or show car within your budget. By concentrating on only one aspect of the event you won't drive yourself crazy. Then you can improve it and bring it back next year.  Although our build  was really modest, everybody was very welcoming and did not make us feel anything bad about our efforts. Probably the most laid-back race I've ever entered

Brett_Murphy
10/13/18 7:31 p.m.

The truck I may be buying has, according to a reliable source, a low mile, modified SBC engine. The owner thinks the engine holds most of the value in it. He wants X for the whole thing.

So, buying the engine for Y and the truck body for Z and getting receipts for each purchase individually is apparently the Challenge way to do it?

Would getting a receipt for the toolbox (which is probably worth $250 around here) also be a good idea at the time of the purchase? That way I could pay him his asking price for the whole thing (which will be sub-$1000) but if I wanted to do an engine swap later on, I could document why I arrived at Y price for the base challenge car body.

Note, I'll probably still wind up using the engine, at least at first, but the long term goal is most likely an LS-x type swap. And, not to be ghoulish or opportunistic about the whole thing, but Florence and Michael have a ton of late model LSx family engine donors hitting the insurance auctions around here.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/18 3:30 p.m.

In this case I’d say buy the truck then recoup what you can from the chassis & body. Or ask him to pull the engine first. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/14/18 3:52 p.m.

What I try to follow personally on a car is if it's in pieces I can break it down in receipts. If it's in one piece then I do one receipt. For example I bought a car in pieces. Like when I showed up we loaded the frame then racket strapped the body down on top of it and threw the boxes of parts inside.  That got broken down in receipts.  A Miata with an easy to remove top would get broken down.  Others may feel different.

Now in your case it sounds like that engine is a good engine to use.  I was mid pack my first year but I had so much fun it didn't matter.

Brett_Murphy
10/14/18 6:37 p.m.

Thanks! I appreciate it. I fully expect to be DFL.

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
10/18/18 11:48 p.m.

Question. Planning for $2020, so time is on my side and I want to be a law abiding participant.

How would I budget a non running 89 astro that was free but an inside deal (inheirited)? All we need are the rear end, front subframe/suspension and the wheels. FMV on those parts? FMV on the van? Scrap? 

Thanks!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/19/18 7:06 a.m.

Question:

Depending on the date, my son and I will attend the $2019 Challenge, he will bring a Saab 900 and I will shuffle the 96.

Budgeting, I acquired the 900 from my wife's girlfriend who bought it new in 1992.  She gave it to me rather than see it rotting in the driveway , it hasn't run in 4 years.   Ian pestered me with build ideas because he loves 900s; I love 96s.  I joked that if he found a 96 I would swap it for the 900.

Two hours later he calls!  Found a 96 that's been sitting in a body shop for 12 years, $1200.

I get the 900 for free, he pays $1200 for the 96, how does the spread sheet shake out?

Thanks, Dan

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
10/19/18 7:30 a.m.

IF HE BUY'S IT AND TRADES IT TO YOU IT'S FREE.

IF YOU PAY 1200 FOR THAT CAR IT'S A 1200 DOLLAR HIT AND NO ONE SEE'S THE OTHER CAR,

BUT YOU CAN RECOUP 600

I think that's correct,      Paul?

GVX19
GVX19 HalfDork
10/19/18 8:40 a.m.

C.D. Auto payed 40k for a car that is a working office.

The company I work for pays .50c per mile for the use of the car. The car has 80k work miles on it.

Is it now Free?

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/19/18 8:48 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

He's starting with 1200 on the spreadsheet (paid 1200 and then did even trade).

You are starting with FMV of the 900 (since the $0 was a bit of an inside deal). You should easily be able to establish FMV of a non-running 900 at like $200 or less.

You're already kicking his butt.

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
10/19/18 3:59 p.m.

In reply to GVX19 :

Even if it is, the initial price makes it ineligible. ;)

GVX19
GVX19 HalfDork
10/21/18 7:57 p.m.

In reply to Greg Smith :

I corrected the verbiage in my question.:)

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/18 8:01 p.m.

Are itemized receipts acceptable for one piece that was bought from the same seller as other non challenge bits or should we be writing and receiving individual receipts?  I just sold a bunch of stuff to a hopeful challenger and need to write his paperwork correctly because some stuff is for his daily driver.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/22/18 9:34 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Either way works- if you can do separate receipts it makes things easier, but I've submitted receipts from RockAuto with a ton of things that weren't on the Challenge car (both things that were for other vehicles and things that were bought for it but I didn't end up using on the Challenge car itself). You just generally highlight or circle the items and/or include additional info on your budget spreadsheet (or at least that's how I've done it the last few years with no complaints). 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
11/8/18 10:45 a.m.

For 2019, is there going to be an award for the highest placing competitor running 300TW tires?  Or is it going to be 250TW like the Gastropod sub-class seems to be heading?

I'm going to be buying tires in this month, and my "real" budget can't afford to make an error here.

Thanks.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Digital Experience Director
11/8/18 11:11 a.m.

Here are the trophies for 2019:

https://2000challenge.com/stuff-you-can-win/

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/8/18 1:57 p.m.

Does "Stock Block Class" mean an unmodified bottom end, or does it mean original block to the car i.e. not swapped?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/8/18 4:10 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Please delete that question before it gets answered.  You're berkeleying up my program!

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
11/8/18 5:43 p.m.

a block by a manufacturer, not Pro Line billit,  IT'S just not GRM like to worry which company made it, that's a Personal Choice.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/9/18 11:28 a.m.

Stock to WHAT?

That’s a huge can of worms. 

Stampie
11/11/18 6:04 a.m.

Did internet magic so that the 1000th post is now all mine.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/11/18 7:21 a.m.

Two can play that game!  The one thousandth post in this thread is mine again!!!

Stampie
11/11/18 7:39 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

Two can play that game!  The one thousandth post in this thread is mine again!!!

Ok I’ll one up you and take the 1001th post!  

1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 ... 44

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
26tFuVtzbuLTPCKtdrG2Ge9kiGpwYMWW04aT6nfriT7fof8892su1UQvPi5pIYIh