1 2 3
Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/12/22 9:32 p.m.

I stumbled  on to this

I know there was never a 4 door C50. But could you get an old grain truck put it on a 3500 frame and have the dimensions still look right? 

The version I have in my head is lowered and set up as a tow rig. 

Any one have any info on these trucks? 

2/12/22 9:47 p.m.
ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
2/12/22 10:50 p.m.

I'm in for discussion.  I don't have much info.  I've always wanted to build a ramp truck out of an old C60 or such.

There is one I know of that could be had...but I'm afraid to drag it home and add it to the project list, lol.  Let's see how quickly this thread changes my mind.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/12/22 11:07 p.m.

Yes.  I need a c60 pickup like I need a case of the clap, but I am going to eventually weaken.

I stared at an ad for a 71 C65 with a tall deck 427 and air brakes for weeks.  $1700.  It is sure lucky I was feeling broke that month.

2/13/22 7:26 a.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

I would take on just like one. Ramp truck is a great idea. 

2/13/22 7:27 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
2/13/22 8:18 a.m.

You came after Steve stopped coming by so often but he drove a truck like that one in red...but a ford.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/13/22 8:38 a.m.

This was the one that caught my attention.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/13/22 9:21 a.m.
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) said:

I stumbled  on to this

I know there was never a 4 door C50. But could you get an old grain truck put it on a 3500 frame and have the dimensions still look right? 

The version I have in my head is lowered and set up as a tow rig. 

Any one have any info on these trucks? 

That looks like the kind of thing that can be built with some fab skills and an unlimited budget.  Sure, a more recent frame came be utilized but the real piece of "unobtainium" will be the long roof cab and the rear doors also of that long roof cab.  Then if found, be sure the glass for those rare rear doors are good!  

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
2/13/22 9:29 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Even though I have no use for a truck like that, I still want that!

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
2/13/22 9:57 a.m.

This is one of those builds that unless you have megabucks to do it right is gonna look cool but be awful to use.

-Gotta put it on air and a lighter chassis to have it drive good unloaded

-Dually wheels and tires are $$$

-Rear end gearing is gonna be terrible, may as well swap in a modern axle if you wanna go faster than 45mph.

-All the creature comforts of a 1960s grain truck

-People are not exactly giving away a Cummins or Duramax driveline swaps.

The first one posted looks like its put on an 80s chassis (straight front axle) - that would be OK but still ride like an 80s truck.  

If I wanted to build one I would start with a hail damaged or light rollover newer Duramax, straight axle swap the new frame, then body swap it.  That would get you all the modern underpinnings.  Easy $70k job if you do it and your labor is free, $150k if a shop does it.  

2/13/22 10:24 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Could you just use two grain truck front doors on each side. 

I don't think the ever did make a 4 door c50. So would have to use a different donor to build the four door.  Or is that what you are saying? 

2/13/22 10:27 a.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

The salvage duramax would be exactly what I would do. And probably just a single rear wheel. 

Also why not just use the whole frame and running gear including axles from the donor truck? 

I think doing it yourself could be much less than $70k if you have a lot of skills that I don't have. 

Hardest part is definitely making a crew cab for something that never came as a crew cab. 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/13/22 10:38 a.m.

The rear side doors are probably from a suburban. You could use a suburban roof section with some fab skills. Or just make it easy on yourself and use a post 73 body with a factory crew cab.

Nothing wrong with just leaving it a single cab!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/13/22 10:40 a.m.

No, they might not have made a C50 Crew Cab but they made a C20 Crew Cab.  The difference from C20 to C50 is beefy things at the frame and bigger nose to accomidate bigger radiator.  

Sample C20 Crew Cab:

You could try the retro-fab approach with two front doors per side.  That was a common way of doing it in the past but it comes out looking goofy:

2/13/22 10:41 a.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) :

Do you mean a post 73 body for a c50? Or use a regular square body crew cab and put the c50 front clip on that? 

also here is another cool one. 
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/1512-craigslist-excellence-this-custom-1966-chevrolet-c60-is-the-perfect-tow-rig-to-bring-races

2/13/22 10:42 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Yeah the two front doors on a side looks terrible. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/13/22 10:44 a.m.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=182644&highlight=extended

This one probably did graft a Suburban body to make the Crew Cab.  Notice that it was a Suburban 3 door.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/13/22 10:48 a.m.

Still staying with unlimited budget but this may get you there quicker.  Retro panels added to current truck

Even easier, retro paint job:

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/13/22 11:31 a.m.
eastpark said:
Streetwiseguy said:

Even though I have no use for a truck like that, I still want that!

Exactly.

2/13/22 2:23 p.m.

Here one for sale: 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/14/22 11:09 a.m.
John Welsh said:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=182644&highlight=extended

This one probably did graft a Suburban body to make the Crew Cab.  Notice that it was a Suburban 3 door.  

Also, that one uses the regular truck roof instead of the suburban high roof.

I have a '70 I picked up a few years ago with the intention of turning it into a ramp truck. I've been considering a hooklift to get a super low height but it's probably 8th or 9th in my list of projects and won't be done for several years. I was going to do the suburban body graft with a 4th door. Obviously on airbags and cut down 22 alcoas or the like. It's ridiculously fun to drive. My old room mate called it the Zipper. Like the cheap carnival ride, you never know if you're going to make it out alive.

2/14/22 3:49 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

That looks like a great start. What is a hook lift? 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/15/22 11:44 a.m.

In reply to Somebeach (Forum Supporter) :

It's where the truck is outfitted with basically a giant hook and the flatbed portion isn't permanently attached. So you can drop the flatbed on the ground and drive the truck away if you really wanted. Ideally, if you build the flatbed with low clearance cars in mind it would make it super easy to load a car.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
2/15/22 1:37 p.m.
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

The salvage duramax would be exactly what I would do. And probably just a single rear wheel. 

Also why not just use the whole frame and running gear including axles from the donor truck? 

I think doing it yourself could be much less than $70k if you have a lot of skills that I don't have. 

Hardest part is definitely making a crew cab for something that never came as a crew cab. 

Well just a wrecked Duramax of a decent vintage is gonna run $30-40k considering they are 60-90k new.  

Then you gotta straight axle swap it and at least a 3-4" lift in back to have it look correct, thats $5k on the short end

Wheels and tires will be another $3k for cheap chinese garbage, $10k if you want some American Force wheels and BFGs.  

Gotta find a complete square body crew cab, thatll run you $10k just for the tin.   

Then you gotta find all the C50 bodywork, maybe $2500 for that in decent shape.

Now fit the sheetmetal to the chassis, paint everything, figure $10k for that and thats being kind.  Get new glass, badges, chrome, etc etc etc.  

Custom interior?  I can't do a Tijuana Tuck n Roll so thats $5k there.  Don't want it to look like a grain truck.  

$65k assuming no surprises.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rjEauX0ki2oBroGL0WTqLKAO91krD28AVGPnCBxspx8GCGXwRQOsDhmWB7AITJMQ