1 2 3
fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
8/27/08 11:14 a.m.

Usually they talk about selling off brands, not a single vehicle....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26422051/

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
8/27/08 11:18 a.m.

From the article:

“As the company evaluates strategic options to maximize core operations and leverage its assets, we have agreed to listen to these parties.”

Anyone who speaks like that deserves to be punched in the nose. Hey, buddy, I've got an idea: quit playing business buzzword bingo and figure out how to make some good cars people want to buy.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
8/27/08 11:34 a.m.

lol "business buzzword bingo", ill have to remember that one.

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
8/27/08 11:42 a.m.

Maybe Shelby want to buy the Viper back?!

WilD
WilD Reader
8/27/08 11:44 a.m.

More likely an Indian or Chinese company wants the name.

captainzib
captainzib New Reader
8/27/08 11:44 a.m.

Chrysler should have realized it was doomed when it was bought out by a company named after a 3 headed dog that guards the gates of Hades.

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
8/27/08 11:56 a.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: From the article: “As the company evaluates strategic options to maximize core operations and leverage its assets, we have agreed to listen to these parties.”

Translation:

"Basically we're screwed, and we're trying to see if we can sell anything to anyone that might bring in some cash."

It's only a matter of time.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/27/08 11:59 a.m.

Hey when Chrysler goes down maybe I can buy the rights to AMC for cheap

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/27/08 12:08 p.m.

I think Viper is as much of a "brand" as Corvette.

There has often been rumors of GM transitioning Corvette to an actual brand with multiple vehicles. Though I havn't heard about those in a long while.

MCarp22
MCarp22 New Reader
8/27/08 12:09 p.m.
captainzib wrote: Chrysler should have realized it was doomed when it was bought out by a company named after a 3 headed dog that guards the gates of Hades.

Daimler-Benz?

Salanis
Salanis Dork
8/27/08 12:11 p.m.
MCarp22 wrote:
captainzib wrote: Chrysler should have realized it was doomed when it was bought out by a company named after a 3 headed dog that guards the gates of Hades.
Daimler-Benz?

Cerberus.

captainzib
captainzib New Reader
8/27/08 12:11 p.m.

Cerberus.

EricM
EricM Reader
8/27/08 12:15 p.m.

That was the first toll of the requim of Chrysler.

I give them 5 years, tops, and as fast as 3 years. Anyone else in on the death pool?

Type Q
Type Q Reader
8/27/08 12:27 p.m.
GlennS wrote: lol "business buzzword bingo", ill have to remember that one.

You have never played buzzword bingo? I used to do that with coworkers when we had long, boring, weekly project reviews we were required teleconference in for. We actually paid much closer attention to everything that was said because of it.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/27/08 12:38 p.m.
EricM wrote: That was the first toll of the requim of Chrysler. I give them 5 years, tops, and as fast as 3 years. Anyone else in on the death pool?

I'm no Chrysler fan, but they survived the 80's with far E36 M3tier vehicles.

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
8/27/08 12:42 p.m.
P71 wrote: Hey when Chrysler goes down maybe I can buy the rights to AMC for cheap

Be carefull what you ask for... When Chrysler purchased AMC (to get the Jeep) they were required to "prove" they took care of a bunch of re-call work for AMC.... I heard stories of Chrysler parts guys dropping new parts into the trunks of AMC's in junkyard just so they could crossout the vin # on thier must repair list.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/27/08 12:45 p.m.

Somewhere there was a buzzword translator that REALLY made sense of all of the buzzwords.

http://www.buzzwhack.com/buzzcomp/indac.htm is good for "actual" translations, but I remember one where you typed in a sentence and it put the buzzlingo into simple terms.

MCarp22
MCarp22 New Reader
8/27/08 3:31 p.m.
captainzib wrote: Cerberus.
Salanis wrote:
MCarp22 wrote:
Daimler-Benz?
Cerberus.

Some people missed the joke.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
8/27/08 3:57 p.m.

that is what I want to name a Jack russel. and have a rotty with some rediculusly cute name

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/27/08 4:40 p.m.

I doubt Chrysler will go under... the government bailed them out before.. they will probably do it again.

Funny how they were in the same place as last time though. With a bunch of bloated, oversized, ugly vehicles nobody wants to buy.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/27/08 4:47 p.m.
littleturquoiseb wrote:
P71 wrote: Hey when Chrysler goes down maybe I can buy the rights to AMC for cheap
Be carefull what you ask for... When Chrysler purchased AMC (to get the Jeep) they were required to "prove" they took care of a bunch of re-call work for AMC.... I heard stories of Chrysler parts guys dropping new parts into the trunks of AMC's in junkyard just so they could crossout the vin # on thier must repair list.

Dunno about that particular deal, but I do know we are encouraged to do recalls on salvage vehicles at the body shop, etc (as long as the VIN is really involved). The reason: there are NHTSA fines for not getting a certain percentage of involved vehicles done in a given time frame. When I worked for another manufacturer, a well known company which gathers all different sorts of data missed a HUGE number of VINs involved in a safety recall. This created huge problems, believe me. For instance, the company which made the parts to do the recall started up a production line and ran off enough parts to fix the 60,000 vehicles first reported, then they shut down and retooled the line to make something else. Then oh noes! 30,000 more VINs popped up. Uh oh.

And yeah, I see tough times ahead for Chrysler. Even though the 2.7 V6 cars get decent gas mileage for what they are, the public's perception of Chrysler is of the big ol' HEMI 300 and Commander that are well known gas guzzlers. Hey, it's their own fault, they advertised and pushed those HEMI powered things like no tomorrow. When was the last time you saw a 2.7 engine 300 advertised for its gas mileage? I thought so. Naw, they offered to subsidize gas for the big hogs for three years. Way to go, guys.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
8/27/08 4:56 p.m.

it doesn't help that they put all their chips in on large vehicles.

edit dodge should just go back to the mid-late '90s line up and work on QC/fit&finish

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter New Reader
8/27/08 9:30 p.m.

This was my response to this over on jalopnik....

Vipers may not be a volume seller, but they're the car that showed that Chrysler could still be successful after the K-car. To get rid of it is to admit defeat.

Here's my simple plan if Chrysler wants to actually make money*: 1) Jeep should NOT be an everyman's brand. Immediately halt the production of and publicly destroy any examples on non-trail rated Jeeps. Invite the public to bring marshmallows.

2)Do whatever it takes to get rid of the Douchebag Stamp of Approval on the Dodge Truck brand. Stop selling 1/2 ton Hemi pickup remixes of musclecars. Daytona... pickup? Seriously? Who buys a truck with a wing?

3) Take off the rosy glasses and look at your car linup. What the crap is the Caliber? The SRT-4 was a Neon on steroids and creatine, the Caliber is when it O/D'd and suddenly sprouted bitch tits.

4) Remember the Razor Concept? Minimal, optioned down, turbo I4 rear wheel drive 2+2 coupe that was gonna be priced under $14k brand spankin' new? Yeah, MAKE IT. And don't hussy it up with A/C and power steering, just take the concept, strip the badges, and MAKE it. And if I'm misremembering that whole RWD thing, and that's really what turned into the SRT-4, shut up and make me a rwd coupe anyway!

5) Keep selling Vipers! Even if you just farm out the work to Hennessey or Saleen's new company, keep selling them on the lots. A brand without a halo model is like... Kia. Hell, even HYUNDAI has a halo model in the works!

• not acutally guaranteed to make money, as this is pulled straight from me arse
NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
8/27/08 11:40 p.m.

They were in trouble back in the early 90's and responded by coming out with the 1st gen Neon. That car went a long way towards pulling their buns out of the fire.

If they would come out with something as cool/progressive/right for the times as that, they might have a chance, but the way they're going I don't see that happening..

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
8/28/08 1:12 a.m.

Hyundai owns Kia. Seems everybody's got a halo vehicle!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Jn7M64VujVUF4XQBXFA5W5XQ5cC6RysKhuWG56iUKDL7w940zOeYu6M69IRvkK5T