1 2 3
Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
2/2/20 7:15 a.m.

I feel like the obvious use is filming and testing with their projects. Possibly moving their shop onto the property aswell. I also suspect and kind of hope to see him make efforts to make it a usable venue for local motorsport again. Though that involves a level of resources and risk that is not insignificant, so I guess we'll have to wait and see. Of course I have no dog in that last fight unless I get froggy and decide to load up and go to a cleetus and cars event there.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/2/20 8:13 a.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:

In reply to Floating Doc :

Our local PCA chapter has run autocross events at this facility in years passed, using the banked turns. Maybe SCCAs rules are more strict. 

Not SCCA, different independent club. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/20 9:46 a.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

What liabilites are there as a site owner for hosting a club's events?

I thought the club paid whatever usage fee they negotiated with the site owner, and all liability was on the club who was hosting the event.

I mean, I know it is not that simple once other peoples' insurance companies' lawyers are involved, because it is their job to ensure that their company doesn't have to pay out if they can get away with it, I'm not naive. 

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
2/2/20 12:31 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

I've never tried to organize event on my property or otherwise so I don't know. I do know he mentioned bringing actual circle track racing back to the venue and for that the facility is going to need a lot of work. In that event the risk would be mostly financial. Of course I can only assume that buying the damn place in the first place without a plan for it to pay for itself was also a pretty sizable financial risk.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/20 1:54 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

He has income from merchandise sales (online and at events), the YouTube channel itself (AdSense, YouTube's ads, and paid promotions), and the events (Cleetus and Cars and he is heavily involved with Streetcar Takeover and FL2K). His business is also a producer for Fasterprom, Boosted Boiz, and 1320Video channels and he is involved as a promoter for other events such as the Ice Cream Cruise. On top of all that he was recently in an episode of MToD's new "Faster With Finnegan" show and has been collaborating a lot with other big players (AdamLZ, Taylor Ray, etc). I guarantee you he has the income stream to support that purchase as long as he's making content. He is a very intelligent businessman. Don't let the persona act fool you (and it is an act, his real name is Garrett Mitchell and he's in law school)..

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
2/2/20 1:57 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

I'm fully aware of his real name and the difference between him and the character. I don't doubt him at all. I'm sure he has a plan and wouldn't do this if he didn't.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/2/20 3:53 p.m.

https://youtu.be/fmKuY8v_EoE

track conditions and plans

trumant
trumant GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/2/20 4:29 p.m.

I finally watched the video and I'm impressed. Seems like a lot of revenue opportunities and a really great spot for events, content production and the like.

I think he said the site is 20 acres. Wonder if there is room and plans for a drag strip. Seems like even an 1/8th mile strip would draw that many more people for events and content production.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/2/20 4:50 p.m.

In reply to trumant :

There is a 1/4 mile drag strip right next door to his new facility. 

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
2/2/20 4:51 p.m.

What is the best youtube intro video to watch regarding Cletus?

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/2/20 5:19 p.m.

Law school?  Unless he’s just fascinated with learning the craft or educating himself in general (and if he is i truly get it), then he’s probably better off just being Cleetus.  The way his channel is growing, if he’s making what I think he is, plus merch sales, plus his other endeavors, he’s already far ahead of some very good lawyers.

Javelin
2/2/20 5:27 p.m.

In reply to dxman92 :

If you go to his channel's home page, his feature video is trying to be the first ever stick shift GM in the 7's and it's great. 

Javelin
2/2/20 5:27 p.m.

In reply to trumant :

63 acres and it is adjacent to the 1/4 mile Bradenton Raceway.

Javelin
2/2/20 5:28 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

I'm not sure if he's still in or not. He may have graduated or fine down to part time. Coop was too.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
2/2/20 5:53 p.m.

In reply to dxman92 :

The 7s second quest video Javelin mentioned is solid. Any of the event videos are pretty good. You can drop in anywhere on the normal shop videos and probably find something  cool. 

Projects Include:

Street legal LS7/T56 powered Nascar truck chassis

Exocaged 7 second twin turbo stick Vette cart

Junkyard iron block single turbo LS C6 with a power glide.

5.4 SC GT500/T56 swapped Crown vic that is primarily used to destroy tires

Cummins swapped Galaxie on bags

Kei van with a turbo rotary

Cars that make brief and rare appearances are James' nitrous fed 5.3/power glide 240SX coupe and Coopers LSA blown LS6 powered 4th gen hard top. 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
2/2/20 6:42 p.m.

I am very excited to see this. Cleetus has a very entertaining YouTube channel and it's only going to get better with the Freedom Factory. I don't think YouTube money is that great anymore and he had to get a lot of sponsor help to buy the track but with his connections to other Florida YouTubers and his popularity, he should be able to pack that place for his events.

MrChaos
2/2/20 9:51 p.m.

A lot of the bigger automotive youtubers seem to be friends and will likely also use this facility a decent amount..  Adam LZ, MotionAuto TV, tommyfyeah, ricer miata, Taylor Ray, Chelsea Dinofa, Lonestar Drift, boostedboiz, PFI Speed, Mike Finnegan.  I wouldnt be surprised if there is some Hoonigan action there.  Since Hoonigan's burn yard bash's are very similar to Cleetus and Cars and I would assume there would have been talks about at least 1 East Coast version like they do at SEMA and LS Fest west.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
2/3/20 9:29 a.m.

Didn't we get to see his mansion when he finished building his bike powered golf kart?

Dude's loaded with a mullet to boot.

Living the dream.

MrChaos
2/5/20 10:26 a.m.
Storz
Storz SuperDork
2/5/20 12:12 p.m.

That is super cool!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners