1 2
mcloud
mcloud New Reader
2/22/24 7:17 p.m.

When and where was Andy racing this Volvo 242 shown in the photo here?

SuperDave
SuperDave New Reader
2/22/24 7:21 p.m.

yes yes yes

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
2/22/24 11:13 p.m.

I love Randy's column and I am so glad he will be doing things for GRM.

Like him I've always deplored the rubbing is racing mentality.......if you're such a damn good driver why do you need to thump people out out of the way.

Looking forward to the content.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
2/22/24 11:31 p.m.

You guys hit a home run.  I found his videos entertaining.  Have seen much lately though.

Andrew Polasek
Andrew Polasek New Reader
2/23/24 12:30 a.m.

We first discovered Randy in the early 80's at Martin sports car club autocross in Orlando.  He drove the wheels off a POS Ford Fiesta, typically on 3 wheels and always top of his class. Way back then, there was no doubt he was going to make a big splash in his driving career if he ever got an opportunity.  And man did he ever.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/23/24 1:15 a.m.

Its gonna be hard not to read the articles in his voice.

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
2/23/24 7:18 a.m.

Looking forward to his contributions to what is already the best content in the market.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/23/24 7:19 a.m.

What a great addition.

It feels like survivor advantage in a flat-to-shrinking print media market.

If you're good enough to hang on your product gets better because it's the only game in town.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher Emeritus
2/23/24 7:34 a.m.

Randy was on the cover of our fith issue in 1985. We have known him even longer than that.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/24 8:32 a.m.

I love Randy's work, really enjoy reading his stuff.  At one autocross, I decided to run to Subway real quick for some lunch, and when I got back the paddock was buzzing about the fact that Randy was racing on the Pitt Race track and stopped by to say hello and jumped in someone's car to take a few runs. Apparently, he was really nice and talked to everyone and was exactly what you'd expect of him. I say apparently because I wasn't there, I missed it, because I needed to eat. DOH! 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/23/24 11:08 a.m.
rdcyclist said:

Yay! Welcome to the asylum, Randy! His enthusiasm for everything motorsport is unmatched!

His column is the only part of SportsCar that I ever really read.

rb92673
rb92673 New Reader
2/23/24 11:15 a.m.

In reply to mcloud :

That should be the 24 HoL @ Sonoma Dec 2023.  I don't know who Andy is, but Randy and that Volvo were there.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
2/23/24 11:25 a.m.

Does this mean there will be some 4 and 6 cyl 6th Gen Camaro stories now?

aw614
aw614 HalfDork
2/23/24 12:10 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Olemiss540 :

He’s already here on the forum. :)

I think I saw him comment in one of Andy's tire review threads here a few that I read a few weeks ago

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/23/24 12:40 p.m.

I've met Randy numerous times.  Always great to talk to.  Always funny!

His stories are always entertaining as well.

If I can find it, I have pictures of him working on a sn95 mustang at Sebring.  As I understand it, he was a "rental driver" and he wanted to make the car better.  He was wrenching on it all by himself!

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
2/23/24 1:46 p.m.
Duke said:
rdcyclist said:

Yay! Welcome to the asylum, Randy! His enthusiasm for everything motorsport is unmatched!

His column is the only part of SportsCar that I ever really read.

yeah now that the HF 20% coupons are gone

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
2/23/24 6:05 p.m.

I have known Randy since '88, back when I worked for Joe Varde's Firehawk team, and Randy and his then wife Linda were running a Toyota MR-2 in Compact.  They always seemed to be paddocked next to our GS class Camaros/TA's.  Then a few years later, my dad and I were racing our ITC Toyota Corolla SR-5 against Linda in her VW Rabbit.

In '89, I got a set of 'baseball' cards from a deputy at the Sebring 12hr, and one of the cards was Linda and Randy.  In 2018, I had him come co-drive with me in a 350Z at the WRL 14hr at Daytona, and remembered to bring this card along and have him sign it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4L0ywMhAPPhbwLW5ctZpXxxoqWy7H78XOe2KzyAMcYfc9PtO11G2pXRB8kJ6fFsT