Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
5/28/13 4:31 p.m.

I want a tach, and a shift light, and dont want a giant ass tach or to spend autometer money. Any thoughts on this?

http://www.amazon.com/GlowShift-Black-Digital-Tachometer-Shift/dp/B000UO5OMA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1369775579&sr=8-2&keywords=shift+light

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/28/13 4:36 p.m.

I had Raptor shift lights in both of my Miata track cars. For track duty, the factory tack was sufficient as long as I had the light.

photo UnspecifiedMiata042.jpg

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
5/28/13 4:36 p.m.

If it looks like it does in the pic id be highly tempted to put a piece of window tint on the gauge face. Had to do that to the cheap stereo in one of my current cars.

Seems decent enough. The main problem i see is it being 6 freakin inches deep which could make it hard to flushmount into your dashboard like you might with other 2 1/16" gauges.

I would honestly like a 2 1/16" analog tach that was worth a crap. Know of any of those?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/28/13 4:45 p.m.

Seems to me you'd have trouble reading those rpm numbers. It wouldn't be much use to read the engine speed at a glance.

I like the sequential LED style. I have a Datatool Revlight in a few of my cars - you can see it on top of the instrument hood in my videos. It adjusts to ambient light and I can set the triggers for each color range. Four greens, three yellows, two reds and "all flash" for shift point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgQcDLjKOXs

The Revlight is out of production, but the Shift-i does the same. Or you can solder up your own using a bunch of LEDs and a timer circuit.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
5/28/13 4:55 p.m.

This won't be going in the dash FWIW, on it or the column. I'm not horribly concerned with the tach function. I expect to need to tint the one I mentioned in the OP. I have a bunch of amazon credit I'm trying to burn. Id like to keep it under $100.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
5/28/13 5:01 p.m.

i currently have an autometer 2 1/16 tach in the center of the gauge panel in my duster, along with a pro-comp adjustable shift light remotely mounted to an LED next to the gauge face. the tach sucks. almost impossibole to read. the light is nice. any tach, per my experience, smaller than 3 inches is useless.

i have used glow shift products in the past. theyre cheap for a reason. in your boat, id just run a light and ignore the tach.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
5/28/13 6:26 p.m.

I just bought a Raptor shift light for my C5 Corvette. They get awesome reviews. I cant wait to try it out.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/28/13 6:57 p.m.

Huh might hook up one of those Raptor lights for low OP warning. I got an F1-style sequential one coming in that works with my Race Capture box.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/28/13 8:10 p.m.

There are much cheaper ways to do a low oil pressure light.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
5/28/13 8:28 p.m.

I'd love to find something like a scanguage, but receiving input from sending units instead of OBDII. Everything I can find is really expensive.

alstevens
alstevens New Reader
5/28/13 9:52 p.m.

Shift light is great. Digital tach not so. Hard to read. From my experience.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
5/29/13 9:07 p.m.

I was browsing amazon warehouse deals and ran across a Auto Meter Autogage Monster Shift-Lite Tachometer for $86 and couldn't help myself, I had to have a Yugo with a Autometer monster tach. I figure I'll hang it under the radio and relocate the shift light to the dash.

beans
beans Reader
5/30/13 8:18 a.m.

Those pen size LED shift lights are BRIGHT. I had one installed in my RSX-S a few years back(with the biggest LED I've ever seen), and it lit up the interior of my car so much, I thought it was the second coming of the baby geezus.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LQhT6Tbye1xUxmiLP15Cw2PQpexMbQVkYL5wmczylLlU8cOjrPPvUdoDqUykk46c