1 2
octavious
octavious Dork
11/3/20 7:08 a.m.

Long story short, I had a wreck in my Miata and my insurance totaled the car. No injuries to either occupant, and the Miata kept us safe. I now find myself in a predicament to get a new to me used car in a time when used car prices have skyrocketed. 

Like many of you I've owned several cars, this will make #23, and I am kind of all over the place.  For the first time maybe, I don't have a specific car want or need at this time.  I began looking at 4wd trucks, then looked at Jeeps, classic Mustangs were Sunday, and yesterday was anything older than 1979. 

Now I'm curious what all of you would buy.

My parameters are this:

$10,000 or less 

Not needing much so fairly reliable

Not something super common

Has 4 seats

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
11/3/20 7:35 a.m.

AMC Eagle with any engine mods of your choosing.

BMW wagon of your choice

Mazdaspeed 6

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/20 7:36 a.m.
Cactus said:

BMW wagon of your choice

one of the stipulations was "fairly reliable"

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/3/20 8:06 a.m.

4 wheel drive still a must?

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/3/20 8:25 a.m.

For $10K you could get an '80s Classic in fairly reliable condition. I'd be looking for one similar to this:

octavious
octavious Dork
11/3/20 8:36 a.m.

@placemotorsports

Not anymore. 

@AAZCD

I had a 1979 MB 240D, loved the interior, hated everything else. Lol

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
11/3/20 8:38 a.m.

In reply to octavious :

That puts you in modern Jaguar money. Several members have had very great things to say about Jaguars.  
Buy something Post Ford's investment. ( 1990 )  and the quality  is really there.  Then it's a matter of how much power you want. 

The early ( 2000's ) V8's had a few issues with Nicosil cylinders and chain tensioner's   But by 2004 most of that was gone.  I personally like the Aluminum chassis ones because they really became stiff and strong. ( plus not rusting ) 

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/3/20 8:40 a.m.

You could probably pick up an E55 AMG for that coin

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
11/3/20 8:45 a.m.

Is this a potential daily driver, or just a fun driver?

Maybe a Porsche 944 or an E30?

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/3/20 9:03 a.m.

Unfortunately, the best cars you can get for $10000 are the same ones you could get for $5000 ten years ago. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
11/3/20 9:04 a.m.

FJ60

great investment 

hipsters love them 

drive for 6 months- flip for $$$$

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
11/3/20 9:07 a.m.

Fiesta ST if you want something you can actually drive. 

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/3/20 9:07 a.m.

Full size Bronco or Blazer

STM317
STM317 UberDork
11/3/20 9:08 a.m.

Some potentials that I see from quickly scanning CL near you:

07 Jag XK- Slightly over budget, but maybe can be talked down?

65 Corvair- Again, slightly over budget, but negotiable? Can't see the back seat situation in the pics

Driver level 69 Mustang

Patina'd old extended cab Ford truck:

74 Buick Electra 225- If you want a cruiser

4th gen camaro with some minor mods

64 Galaxie- 390/4 spd combo

08 Mini JCW Convertible- maybe not the most reliable, but similar niche as a Miata, and 08 is probably the most reliable year for a Cooper S

70 VW Beetle- looks super clean

67 Ford 500- Man, clean old Fords are cheap compared to other makes

08 Cayenne S

Foxbody based Kit Mercedes

Old Fire Engine- This seems like something Cotton would own

V10 Excursion

Butched up old Trooper with a snorkel

*Not included but tempting: The cheap Quattroporte with glass transmission

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
11/3/20 9:18 a.m.
Saron81 said:

Fiesta ST if you want something you can actually drive. 

Shamelss plug for my FiST for sale here, though its over 10k: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/2014-fiesta-st-molten-orange-52k-miles/178145/page1/

They really are a performance bargain and pretty tough to beat if you need a 4dr fun car.  The Focus ST is also a good choice, not as fun, but rides better and slightly more room.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/20 9:27 a.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to octavious :

That puts you in modern Jaguar money. Several members have had very great things to say about Jaguars.  
Buy something Post Ford's investment. ( 1990 )  and the quality  is really there.  Then it's a matter of how much power you want. 

The early ( 2000's ) V8's had a few issues with Nicosil cylinders and chain tensioner's   But by 2004 most of that was gone.  I personally like the Aluminum chassis ones because they really became stiff and strong. ( plus not rusting ) 

Came here to say Jag as well.

The choice between x308 (pre 2004) and x350 (2004-up) is a tough one and I think it depends on what you want to be reliable.  The later ones get the aluminum structure, a better interior, and aren't really any more expensive than the older ones.  The downside is that they all come with the ZF transmissions which are not only complex and not the most reliable, but incredibly expensive AND incredibly difficult to rebuild properly.  With the x308, the non-supercharged cars got a ZF transmission, but the supercharged cars got a mercedes transmission.  Still pretty expensive to fix, but much less likely to need it.

I personally lean toward the x308 XJR or Super V8.  I can deal with rust, but the Merc transmission and the more classic lines make me happy.  For me, the sweet spot is 2001-2003 XJR.  After Nikasil liners, during Ford's ownership (and actually many parts are available at Ford parts counters), and before the redesign.  I would rather be able to drive a car with a rusty fender than have a blown transmission in a rust-free car that will cost $4000 to fix.

johndej
johndej Dork
11/3/20 9:32 a.m.

IS300 - manual, E36 M3/4/5, V70R, will keep updating.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/3/20 9:33 a.m.

TDI Toureg

Or T5 or V8 Volvo

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
11/3/20 9:34 a.m.
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) said:

Unfortunately, the best cars you can get for $10000 are the same ones you could get for $5000 ten years ago. 

So true. Not ten years ago. More like 1-2 years ago. 

Fight hard to get a current (post covid world) value on your Miata. 

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
11/3/20 9:37 a.m.

In reply to octavious :

Infiniti M56 because I want to try a 420hp rwd sedan. Might be more like $13k, last time I looked. 

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
11/3/20 11:39 a.m.

Want something truly unique.. at least in the states?

Toyota Soarer at Duncan

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/8/20 9:09 p.m.

Well... what'll it be?

chaparral
chaparral Dork
11/8/20 9:50 p.m.

How about a Fiesta ST? 

bmw88rider (Forum Supporter)
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/8/20 10:33 p.m.

There is always the high revving honda choices. I'm enjoying the heck out of my 4 door Integra and there is the 8th Gen civic SI. 

I get more comments on the integra than you would ever expect for a beige 4 Dr sedan. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
11/8/20 11:48 p.m.
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) said:

There is always the high revving honda choices. I'm enjoying the heck out of my 4 door Integra and there is the 8th Gen civic SI. 

I get more comments on the integra than you would ever expect for a beige 4 Dr sedan. 

That beige sedan is the best ever! I am waiting it's return back to my garage 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Uy7KxOgRJkh2p52QmC6e1zXwMe1ScoPqibkPUfV6k5Ggmg7XNTxj31kEcOBFXYIj