pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/14 7:20 p.m.

Had to grab a pic of these bad boys. Certainly not the 15" originals!

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/2/14 7:25 p.m.

Too bad they're under-tired.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
9/2/14 7:52 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Had to grab a pic of these bad boys. Certainly not the 14" originals!

Fixed that for you

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/2/14 8:01 p.m.

Fifteen52 makes some cool wheels. They even do deep-dish Teardrops!

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
9/2/14 9:31 p.m.

Those wheels remind me of the e36 m3 sedan wheels, but with less hub. They look nice but I don't seen anything all that exciting. YMMV.

But since I have the feeling that this thread is going to head a certain direction now, let me just nip it in the bud with this....thing...

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
9/3/14 7:42 a.m.
irish44j wrote: Those wheels remind me of the e36 m3 sedan wheels, but with less hub. They look nice but I don't seen anything all that exciting. YMMV. But since I have the feeling that this thread is going to head a certain direction now, let me just nip it in the bud with this....THING...

[URL=http://s265.photobucket.com/user/derekrichardson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-61.jpg.html][/URL]

FTFY

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/3/14 8:00 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote:
irish44j wrote: Those wheels remind me of the e36 m3 sedan wheels, but with less hub. They look nice but I don't seen anything all that exciting. YMMV. But since I have the feeling that this thread is going to head a certain direction now, let me just nip it in the bud with this....THING...
[URL=http://s265.photobucket.com/user/derekrichardson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-61.jpg.html][/URL] FTFY

Good one!!

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
9/3/14 8:10 a.m.
chandlerGTi wrote:
pinchvalve wrote: Had to grab a pic of these bad boys. Certainly not the 14" originals!
Fixed that for you

You sure about that??? Looks like at least an 07 Rabbit and I don't think they came with 14" rims. My 95 Golf did, but I can't recall a 2000 up VW that came on 14's, at least not up here.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder Reader
9/3/14 8:19 a.m.
NGTD wrote:
chandlerGTi wrote:
Fixed that for you
You sure about that??? Looks like at least an 07 Rabbit and I don't think they came with 14" rims. My 95 Golf did, but I can't recall a 2000 up VW that came on 14's, at least not up here.

That's his point. Those wheels are referred to as "Snowflakes". They came on Mk1, Mk2 and maybe some early Mk3 VWs. But only in 14".

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/14 8:19 a.m.

I think they mean that the original 1980s wheels (that these were styled to look like) were 14". I guessed at 15", forgetting how small rims were back then!

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
9/3/14 10:08 a.m.

Yeah, that was an UPSIZED wheel! Whoopee...a 14x6!

The 15x8 RML looks a lot closer to the original as they get larger they lose the look a bit.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/3/14 12:56 p.m.
vwcorvette wrote: Too bad they're under-tired.

And put enough tire on them so they don't look dumb, then the tires are 30" in diameter...

Solution: Make those wheels in 16". Done.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/3/14 12:58 p.m.
doc_speeder wrote: That's his point. Those wheels are referred to as "Snowflakes". They came on Mk1, Mk2 and maybe some early Mk3 VWs. But only in 14".

A1 GTI, A2 all sorts of things, and some B2s. Supposedly the B2 snowflakes were slightly wider, but the ones that came on mine were the same as A1 GTI wheels.

One of the first things i did to my GTI when I got it home was to put a set of snowflakes on it. Because correct.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DxWiEQLlE476XgEkQdRc6vP2kpehMFUgTnmilRph6B3EWgiXvyHl163CcCruJqzJ