Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
6/5/10 8:49 p.m.

In my daily browsing of craigslist I came across two interesting old 'yotas tonight. The first being a 90' Corolla all-trac, the second an 87' Celica GT-S. The corolla interests me beacause of the all wheel drive system, but can they be tweaked for more power in anyway? I'd imagine it has a hard time getting out of its way in stock form. The celica sounds neat because of the 3S-GE engine. If I remember correctly those engines have some potential to them. Both cars and five speeds and el cheapo.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
6/5/10 10:03 p.m.

get them both and combine them in some way.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/5/10 10:06 p.m.

From Teh Webz: The Celica alltrac is a giant killer. Crank the boost to 300 HP with just some add ons. If you have the green, the HP is unlimited. I'd like to have one, but I have too many projects as it is. They also say the alltracs are a bit of a biatch to work on because everything is so tight. I figger it can't be worse than an Esprit.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
6/5/10 10:58 p.m.

I believe it is a Celica GT-S... fwd, not awd....

I've got a 1989 Corolla All-Trac

The engine is the economy minded twin cam 4AFE. You are correct, there isn't a great deal of power.... BUT it isn't out of the question to change things. The toughest thing about an All-Trac Corolla, tranny, or engine r&i - 9.5 hours.

How can you change things.... 4AGE can be made to fit, requires 20V bare block to fit. Web camshafts can make a few different cam upgrades to work in the 4AF.

One nice thin about the All-Trac Corolla is it uses E series transaxle(tough as SH*T), so you can add power and not be too worried about breaking driveline bits

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
6/5/10 11:59 p.m.

neato.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
6/6/10 11:01 a.m.

oldeskewltoy, how is the gas mileage with the full time all wheel drive? And is it any fun to drive or was this when toyota became more of a beige appliance brand?

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
6/6/10 3:38 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: I believe it is a Celica GT-S... fwd, not awd.... I've got a 1989 Corolla All-Trac The engine is the economy minded twin cam 4AFE. You are correct, there isn't a great deal of power.... BUT it isn't out of the question to change things. The toughest thing about an All-Trac Corolla, tranny, or engine r&i - 9.5 hours. How can you change things.... 4AGE can be made to fit, requires 20V bare block to fit. Web camshafts can make a few different cam upgrades to work in the 4AF. One nice thin about the All-Trac Corolla is it uses E series transaxle(tough as SH*T), so you can add power and not be too worried about breaking driveline bits

I think it actually uses a modified C-series trans. Not near as bulletproof. The E-series went with S series engines, and the V6s.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
6/6/10 3:38 p.m.

Get the Celica. The Corolla is a turd that will require a TON of polishing to be anything fun.

The Celica is fun out of the box.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/6/10 4:51 p.m.

I'm sorry, I missed the "corolla" part of "alltrac." I thought "Alltrac" as in 3SGTE. Pass on the rolla alltrac unless you want a 20v swap (MAJOR PITA).

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
6/6/10 10:12 p.m.

Im thinking a simple nitrous shot will bring out the best in the little guy..

Here's hoping 'the best' doesnt include connecting rods.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
6/7/10 6:32 a.m.
Vigo wrote: Im thinking a simple nitrous shot will bring out the best in the little guy.. Here's hoping 'the best' doesnt include connecting rods.

In the Corolla, yeah... you'll be seeing rods. It MIGHT survive a 50shot. If you're lucky. The Celica... that motor, or at least the 5sfe, which is weaker, has been known to survivie over a 100shot progressive. Some of the MR2 guys a couple years back were running 135shot wet progressive. I've run a 75 through my motor for awhile, and even had the balls to try a 100shot. Once.

It held together fine, but i felt like i was pushing my luck.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
6/7/10 4:10 p.m.

Gas Mileage - 28-30mpg highway, 22 around town

Transaxle is E55, at least that is it's designation from Toyota - ('8802-   )AE95..5F — E55F5,E57F5).

Mine has brand new Bilsteins in her,AND brand new Bridgestone RE960A/S(185/60/14) on her, she drives and handles rather nicely. Handling is a bit of a lean, but now with proper dampers and tires, all she really needs is a faster steering rack

The layout of an All-Trac Corolla (AE95) is front wheel drive transaxle with a driveshaft that runs down the car to a trailing arm and panhard rod rear suspension - think of it as an AE92 fwd sedan, with an AE86 rear diff stuffed in the back. Because of this layout, I'll be fitting her with TRD bushings to remove much of the slop(AE86 stuff in the back, and AE92 parts up front)

The engine to swap would be a bastard @ best, but I actually have all the std pieces.

The swap would be to use a 20V block, and fit that block with a large crank, and rods, and AE101(Japan market) supercharger pistons. Only the 20V block, and some of the 4AF blocks will fit the E series transaxle, note the notch in the oil pan flange... that is needed for transaxle clearence

The S/C pistons have a similar volume to "F" pistons.

Once the bottom end is done, then a bit of custom work is needed to mount the supercharger... yes supercharger

The custom work needed is to remove the engagement drum for the tranny lock, and fit it with a solenoid instead, this will allow enough room for the supercharger

digdug18
digdug18 HalfDork
6/7/10 5:56 p.m.

Or you could buy a celica alltrac, st185 and go from there... They are rather hard to find, but not impossible.

Andrew

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kQJ1JrDoxxV14duutL3P2PtSqr55G0qq2Q6kx0YqGJ3zFornpQIpmXKCyvCRXaDc