J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
7/30/24 10:20 a.m.
feature_image

Cadillac says it’s got a new, more track-focused package for its CT5-V, the Precision Package. It offers a bunch of goodies to better the “dynamic behavior” of the luxury sport sedan and “improve path precision and increase corner speeds.”

What does this package consist of?

• Increased spring rates, larger front stabilizer bar and revised suspension bushings
  • New front steering knuckles …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/30/24 10:22 a.m.

I'll never say no to more alignment adjustability from the factory, though I can't imagine the price tag is going to stay under $100K.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/30/24 10:32 a.m.
Colin Wood said:

I'll never say no to more alignment adjustability from the factory, though I can't imagine the price tag is going to stay under $100K.

There are probably 20-30 new cars out there being marketed as "track ready", but very few of them let you dial in sufficient camber for the job.  They must be in cahoots with the tire manufacturers.  I have to give GM's performance division credit, they know the drill.  

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/30/24 10:34 a.m.

In reply to ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) :

I didn't think much of the release when it came across my desk, but seeing a car maker actually offer the ability to dial in adjustment made it worthwhile to share, at least in my eyes. 

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS HalfDork
7/30/24 12:25 p.m.

I have seen several CT4 black wings at track days but the CT5 doesn't appear as popular so its curious why GM isn't as interested in applying the same treatment to the smaller blackwing as well.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/30/24 12:36 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

No doubt. Carbon brakes alone are typically a 5 figure option. 

flyin_viata
flyin_viata GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/30/24 1:07 p.m.

Too bad they chose Cup2R vs. Supercar3R....

Cadillac should really offer a similar package for the smaller, lighter, less expensive CT4VBW.  Wider/stickier tires on wider wheels, stiffer springs, more camber, retuned PTM/Magride, maybe Ferodo DS2500 pads would make little brother even better around circuit.

Toyspyder
Toyspyder New Reader
7/30/24 1:41 p.m.

Agreed with the posters calling for the CT4 Blackwing to get similar treatment. IMO, it is the more sporting of the two cars. What track junky needs the extra weight of the CT5 to sling around corners?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/30/24 2:31 p.m.

In reply to Toyspyder :

More room for the butler to put out the champagne, new potatoes with creme fraiche and caviar after the event. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/24 2:57 p.m.

I have only seen a CT5 on track once and it did not end well, but that was more about the driver. I am glad that Cadillac is offering this level of technology and performance, but come on GM, every performance car you make is north of $100K these days. How about letting some of that knowledge and tech trickle down to your smaller sedans and coupes...oh wait. 

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
7/30/24 3:22 p.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:
Colin Wood said:

There are probably 20-30 new cars out there being marketed as "track ready", but very few of them let you dial in sufficient camber for the job.  They must be in cahoots with the tire manufacturers.  I have to give GM's performance division credit, they know the drill.  

Agree. It's very cool to see them acknowledge that people will want to set their car up differently for the track and to then go ahead and actively support that.

This is a super badass car, BUT how many people are going to drop $100k on it and then need to use it as their primary track toy? If you want a badass daily that can go to a few track days it already is fine for that. If you're a real track junkie, and you can afford a Blackwing, surely an old Z06 would meet your track day needs better than this even with the upgrades. 

flyin_viata
7/30/24 3:38 p.m.

Let's be real, the CT5VBW is a 4200lb+ sedan...

It isn't about being a "primary track toy" IMO (though it did Lightning Lap on PS4S faster than a 718 GT4)...its about providing the people who can afford a halo car the option of unbelievable performance from the same package they drive to the office or golf course.  IMO very few who spring for the option will actually drive their car on circuit, but they'll be able to brag about how equipped it is to do so - not unlike the overwhelming majority of C8Z buyers.  

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
7/30/24 3:57 p.m.

Despite the price tag, weight, etc, I am just happy that Cadillac of all brands is offering something like this. They've come a loooong way in the last 20 years, to the point where the CT5BW is a more desirable, better-looking car car than the equivalent BMW and Mercedes offerings. Granted, I've not driven any of the modern ultra high performance sedans out there, but I know these Cadillacs are the ones that catch my eye when I see them out in the real world. 

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/30/24 4:48 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

With the C8 Corvette they even have a factory race alignment that dials in -3 degrees of camber up front that you can get through any alignment shop. I was pleasantly surprised when I went to get my alignment done for autocross.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
7/30/24 7:32 p.m.

When Cadillac had their V-Lab  program, I went to one at Daytona.  Joao Barbosa and Christian Fittipaldi were the two Cadillac drivers they had on hand.

Joao and Christian went out on track the day before, one in the ATS-V, and the other in the CTS-V.  Each car had the Cosworth 'dash cam' with performance overlay.  They had the videos running in the garage area, along with the computer graph with throttle position, brakes, steering and speed as well.

They ran within a couple of tenths of each other, despite the nearly 200hp difference.  Looking at the overlay on each video as they ran side-by-side was interesting in how each car made their time.  Very much a hammer vs. a scalpel scenario.

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/30/24 11:24 p.m.

They're making these for future us: 10 years down the line when these cars are 30-40k it'll be a sweet track option.

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
7/31/24 9:45 a.m.
Colin Wood said:

Most often 'track ready' seems to mean it can survive a novice level hdpe day. I wish more of the track packages really had serious cooling and adjustment. They can probably do it for 1/10th the cost of doing in the aftermarket.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/31/24 9:51 a.m.

Neet car. I hope depreciation hits it hard and in 5 years I can start shopping them. 

I agree with others that it would be cool if the go fast bits made there way down to there lower teer cars. 

Edit:  Has Cadillac actually become a brand worthy of a 6 figure price tag?   

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
7/31/24 12:07 p.m.
dean1484 said:

That's a good question. BMW M3 or M4 vs. Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing. It's an interesting comparison.

flyin_viata
7/31/24 12:35 p.m.
J.A. Ackley said:
dean1484 said:

That's a good question. BMW M3 or M4 vs. Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing. It's an interesting comparison.

The CT5VBW competes against the M5, while the CT4VBW competes against the M3 (and M4 even though the 4VBW isn't offered as a coupe).

The Cadillac Blackwings aren't as nicely finished inside as BMWs, but they don't have the G80/82 buck tooth grill and are tens of thousands cheaper.

A Precision Package for the CT4VBW that offered 275/35R18 on 18x10 front and 305/30R19 on 19x11 rear Supercar 3Rs with stiffer springs/swaybars, upgraded Magride/ABS/PTM calibration, increased front/rear camber, Ferodo DS2500 pads and a retune to 18psi boost would outperform a M3 CS around a circuit, and do so for a lot less money.

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
7/31/24 1:14 p.m.
dean1484 said:

I certainly don't think so. However new car prices seem to have completely detached from reality. 

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
7/31/24 1:25 p.m.
J.A. Ackley said:
dean1484 said:

That's what the market dictates for highest performance in a mid-sized sedan. CT5 BW competitors:

2023 BMW M5 starts at $110k

2023 Benz E63 AMG starts at $114k

2023 Audi RS7 Performance starts at $128k

An equivalent Panamera is edging close to $200k before options

And none of them offer a third pedal.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/31/24 1:29 p.m.
ClearWaterMS said:

I have seen several CT4 black wings at track days but the CT5 doesn't appear as popular so its curious why GM isn't as interested in applying the same treatment to the smaller blackwing as well.  

I was behind a CT5 BW at the start of a session at Waterford Hills back in April. Within 3 corners, he was out of sight and I never saw him again. Badass car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KirDo8Ad5vTFGVHhOkytli0MJJ74V5xCg0T8p2NyH2ll3wUI3XSbZkVQGf5vY20z