Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
10/9/19 2:19 p.m.
Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/9/19 2:38 p.m.

I always assumed it was for the same reason BMW used that orange leather in their M cars.  Germans have lousy taste, or are colourblind.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
10/9/19 7:03 p.m.

I have to say, I initially didn't love the idea of the plaid in my GTI ('18) but now I really love how they look (and they're great seats). 

Same with the golf-ball knob. At first I thought it was kind of stupid and looked around for a replacement. But after 15k miles of shifting I really like how it feels on the hand. 

aw614
aw614 Reader
10/10/19 8:07 a.m.

I like the plaid interior, it looks much better than the westmoreland GTI interiors

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/10/19 8:12 a.m.

I wish i could sew to make my own plaid seats....

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/10/19 8:14 a.m.

Even though this is my adopted country I have a few pet peeves.  The pedant in me must speak out.  A Plaid is a garment, the pattern is named tartan.  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/10/19 8:29 a.m.

Honest question: i thought tartan referred to a certain pattern of plaid belonging to a particular Scottish clan? Like we have the clan Crawford tartan. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/10/19 8:47 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

My post was mainly in fun, but a Tartan is multi color criss cross pattern.  Just as all square are quadrilaterals, not all quadrilaterals are square, hence a Scottish clan pattern is a tartan, not all tartan is a symbol of a Scottish clan.  I think they are synonimous as through history Kilts have become associated with Scotland, even though they evolved amongst Celtish nations which include what we now know as Scotland, Island, wales etc.  The original kilts were 'great kilts' which were originally known as 'Breceans' or a 'Belted Plaid'.  There are rules, meanings and conventions about the colors, combinations and widthes etc. in tatan that I dont' even begin to claim to understand, but tartan first evolved in the British isles not necessarily or just Scotland.  Also the English (as opposed to British) and Canadian military have their own tartans, it's very much not just a Scottish thing.  

But I'm just an ass and even I slip into using the word plaid from time to time,  

Jordan Rimpela
10/10/19 9:15 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

Even though this is my adopted country I have a few pet peeves.  The pedant in me must speak out.  A Plaid is a garment, the pattern is named tartan.  

Trust me, I gave pause when writing, but ultimately I went with what Volkswagen used in their headline

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/10/19 10:12 a.m.

I found this article that confirms my memory, as there was 79 and 80 round headlight GTIs in Canada https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/news/industry-news/a-look-back-at-40-years-of-the-golf-gti/article30073927/

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/10/19 10:20 a.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:
Adrian_Thompson said:

Trust me, I gave pause when writing, but ultimately I went with what Volkswagen used in their headline

VW US marketing!! Just because it's official doesn't make it right.  Anyway, as I said I'm just being an ass.  Plaid is the accepted term in American English as opposed to English.

Jordan Rimpela
10/10/19 10:26 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:
Jordan Rimpela said:
Adrian_Thompson said:

VW US marketing!! Just because it's official doesn't make it right.  Anyway, as I said I'm just being an ass.  Plaid is the accepted term in American English as opposed to English.

Ah, c'mon, push the boat out a little bit and embrace the weirdness of General American. laugh 

I worked with a Brit for eight months when I lived in Saudi. He and I used to have a good time talking language. Fun times. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/10/19 10:33 a.m.

My late father used to say England and America were two countries divided by a common language.

Image result for english vs american english

Image result for english vs american englishImage result for english vs american english

.Image result for english vs american englishImage result for english vs american english

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/10/19 10:45 a.m.

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
10/10/19 10:47 a.m.

Tartan seats in german cars have a long history. The 300sl had them. Westfalia vans had them, Porsche used them.

The GTI wasn't breaking any new ground, just carrying on a rather excellent tradition.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants New Reader
10/10/19 11:25 a.m.
irish44j said:

I have to say, I initially didn't love the idea of the plaid in my GTI ('18) but now I really love how they look (and they're great seats). 

Same with the golf-ball knob. At first I thought it was kind of stupid and looked around for a replacement. But after 15k miles of shifting I really like how it feels on the hand. 

I’ve stuck with my ‘10 GTI for so long largely because of how good the seats are. I haven’t found another car with seats that fit me so perfectly. They’re both all day comfortable and supportive in all the right places for when the road bends. 

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/13/19 8:07 a.m.

The only flaw my wife has is her hatred of the Clarke cloth seats.   We ended up with leather in our GTI.   I will survive . . .  But as a man approaching 50 I was disappointed to not finally own a VW with tartan.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O41FiMGUK64itI3kJw5tTCOyJ3fB9fvBYc2xwNi1PZgJSyZ0047Ck8UVJi5sGbLS