1 2
singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
1/2/13 10:11 a.m.

In reply to Derick Freese:

This is the power supply that I am using. Note that is it is 12v and perfectly within the capabilities of a cars electrical systems. Even with the amp cranked it has very little distortion.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0023Y9EQC/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
1/2/13 11:50 a.m.

A lot of the high powered ones on PE have fairly wide input voltages from 12 volts to around 40 volts in some models. While they will work fine at low input voltages, they have a lower output power.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
1/25/13 1:00 p.m.

just ordered one of the class t amps from china for the firbird im building. interior panels have been cut up for speakers, so im throwing in some speakers to fill the holes. using the class t to power them, and will probably use it in a 2ohm stable load for the 4 speakers. well see how quick i fry it.

i really just want to play with, really. pretty much giving it to the customer.

miatame
miatame HalfDork
1/25/13 1:33 p.m.

Spent a lot of time trying to work out a lightweight stereo in my M3 (E36). When I bought the car it had some crazy expensive system and huge sub and 5 channel amp in the trunk.

I calculated every piece of gear I proposed to put in and even got a removable sub to pull out before an autoX.

Came to the relization that 80% of the improvment will come from mearly replacing the stock headunit and speakers with quality aftermarket gear, and an amp or sub you add is going to weigh more than stock, so none of it is "lightweight".

Now running a pair of Focal speakers up front and a JVC headunit capable of HD Radio and has a USB input on the front for a stick or iphone. Better than stock, as light or lighter than stock, enough quality sound for the road.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/25/13 2:00 p.m.

If we aren't talking about a 150lb sound system, then whats wrong with just a cheap pioneer HU and a pair of inexpensive 6x9's?

I'm definitely not the best to talk here(own a car we went nutters on weight reduction), but if you want a radio, 5-8lbs is not going to make a berkeleying difference.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
3/2/13 8:50 a.m.

my class t lepai came in the mail. it has a little round plug on the back for a 12 volt, 2 amp intput. i want to hard wire it, but it looks like a cell phone charge port. what are you guys doing to wire these things in?

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
3/2/13 8:53 a.m.

Buy a plug, or take the cover off and wire it direct.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
3/2/13 9:50 a.m.

Mine is still kicking along GREAT. It is not in a car but gets used for 8+ hours a day as a DIY noise machine. That is over two months of constant use. Quick math puts that at about 500 hours of use with no discernible quality issues.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
2/13/20 9:41 p.m.

Bumping an old thread, thought this might be a good option from some GRMers. 

I pulled out 85lbs of 2001 "state of the art audio and navigation equipment" and now just have this little blue tooth amplifier. It runs off my phone and I have my front and rear speakers hooked up to it. Very happy with the outcome. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
12/13/20 9:28 a.m.

Why not just a bluetooth speaker that's easy to remove? Wire in a power cord and doneso.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/13/20 6:37 p.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

Yeah, they have come far. I have one of these Oontz Bluetooth speakers. We use it for dinner outside, and I take it in the garage with me. Once the Miata is back up and running, yeah, this might be it. We'll see how it does. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
12/14/20 9:00 a.m.

Heck yes they have. No way would I spend the time and energy mocking up a 1 speaker wired/amplified solution when I could buy a prepackaged solution from china for 50 bucks that can be easily removed when I want to use it on the beach/lake....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9nIjBCS374DLpwPIcdiPlsrIhkpMqTiLM0BNfUSF1jpCIOPVLiuNbb37IkzDBncX